Avalon Hill's Naval War!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avalon Hill's Naval War!

sadly this game has not gotten a revamp in quite some time, and it likely never will. some friends of mine and i have decided to revamp the cards for ourselves and others to enjoy. i know the cards we have are getting rather ratty and well worn.

co-incidently, i'm looking for comments and backbiting about the design of the cards thus far. i've also included a progression where apropriate to show where i've started, and what has been changed.

[Salvo Cards]
    first draft:

this is the second concept. the first one didn't make it to the final stages, as this one did, but i eventually scrapped this in favor of the second draft, which was to look more like the other cards in the play deck.

second draft:

third draft:

proposed final draft. i have four different pictures to use for the salvo cards, most likely corresponding between the amount of damage they do.

[non-salvo cards]
    first draft:

changed the yellow disc to a red one. the original cards that have this designation were printed in red ink and known as "red cards."

proposed final drafts:

[ships]

for the ships i'm considering making the ship's name appear engraved, and removing the name box. the ammunition class will stay in a box. also under consideration is making the ship size discs bigger.
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

a former ASL'r

nice work sir

more details..

how many cards..
    how many in hand

pleaaasseee
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Brings back memories. We used to have a blast playing that game. Good work on the cards.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I played one like that but with man o'war type ships.

I still have it somewhere.

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

was the air combat one "Aces" ?? cant recall

more of a small book format

picked a number, turned to that page, got results

Comment

i'm also told that we may run into some legal troubles if we attempt to distribute the german ships with the swastika in the ensign. apparently some european countries are still a little sensitive over that.

Comment

change the color of the swastika.....

good grief

Comment

i'm going to have to restart everything from scratch. :frowns: my current template is at 300 dpi, and i've done some talking with technical person at work and he's reccommended 1200 dpi.

so, back to the drawing board. although, i may be able to save some of the text, as it isn't rasterized.

Comment

the good news is that i've mostly finished both themplates. the bad news is, re-sorting the pictures will be hell.

Comment

card backs:

ships:

Comment

i have everything done. everything is on its 5" x 7" template. resolution is 1200 dpi. should anyone want to host 600 megs of images i can post them.

Comment

what's happening with this? Love the game and just introduced wife & son to the game and they love it. my game is in good condition, but worried if we keep playing it will fall apart.

Comment

Originally posted by 1911gunner View Post
                          what's happening with this? Love the game and just introduced wife & son to the game and they love it. my game is in good condition, but worried if we keep playing it will fall apart.
                          it's stalled. i'm currently on version 3.4 of my revamp. i've done some learning about design and structure for these things:

nice, simple, and clean. i was really proud of the steel texture, but it made the whole card seem bland.

Comment

Working...
                          X