[PBEM] Jungle Jumble, 2nd thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lumpy:
    PTBS = pitboss. it's like a mix of PBEM and MP. there is a time limit which can be set. and the order of play is like in MP. if you don't play the turn in said deadline, it will be skipped for you (so it's good to queue up some movements and builds if you're not sure about the upcoming days ).

aebbeka:
    there are always cheaper solutions if you look around ... personally, i always buy good games from amazon.co.uk. but then again money is not anymore a big issue for me since i started working...

krazyE:
    yes! all included!

we could play one of the "advanced start" games. unlike the earlier version, you get money to invest in the beginning. so for instance you can place 3 cities from the start on, build the basic buildings (forge, lighthouse, library, etc) to speed up the slow first turns...
    - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
    - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

• speaking of OSs... lumpkin, you could possibly use VMWare. not sure what exists for OS X, but at least the other way around it is surely possibly (and reasonably fast, since apple also use intel architecture)

Comment

• I still don't understand this pitboss thing. Do we all have to be online at the same time?

My two games with you lot are the only multiplayer civ games I've played since civ2, so I don't understand anything other than PBEM.

Thanks for the tips about mac. Don't know anything about VMWare but it sounds a bit unofficial for me to want to play with. The Leopard innovation sounds good though.
        http://www.cojadate.com/

Comment

• I think it notifies you when it's your turn, then you can log on and play your turn, or you can log on when it's not your turn and do everything you can do when it's not your turn in normal multiplayer. Just read this: http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/pitboss.htm

As for the xpack, we'll see if it's on sale next week.
          Where are you from? Put yourself on the Apolyton Map!

Comment

• okay i think i understand now. seems like PBEM has no advantage over pitboss then. should actually be more convenient since no messing about with emails. I'm certainly much more inclined towards that then.

Comment

• there is one sole great advantage of PBEM over pitboss: you don't need a 24/7 machine!

otherwise there's pretty much nothing better about PBEMs ...

Comment

• one of us needs to have a computer on 24/7 to host pitboss??? That's a pretty major disadvantage

Comment

• indeed

unless we can find somebody else to host it...

Comment

• I was ready to buy the x-pack, but our local Best Buy didn't have it. So I'll have to wait for it to come in, or maybe I'll order it. But I think I'll buy it, so I'm in on any games.

Comment

• i received amazon's post yesterday with the game.

Comment

• I just went out and bought it, so I'm ready to play whenever you guys are.

Comment

• I could host the Pitboss, I have an extra computer that's on all the time anyways. I don't know about the x-pack yet, we'll see next week.

Comment

• wow, impressive!

i'm considering to by a 24/7 machine... some barebone or so. but that'd take a long time until i get it running.

so here's hoping that you get the game. i'll throw in 5USD via paypal if you really host a game (or two)

Comment

• I've played BtS a little bit now, and I really like all the new features. It was a great buy, I think I'll have a lot of fun with it. And I found my new favorate Civ, The Holy Roman Empire. I'm ready to get a game started.

Comment

• I have pitboss running well for a game Krazy and I are playing, so I can easily host one for all of us. The thing is, it seems way more cumbersome to play a turn, as you have to load the game, go through the menus, enter the server address, connect, choose your civ.... as opposed to just opening a file and playing.

As for BtS, there were no sales... I may just buy it and hope for a sale in the future, then I can go back and get 110% of the difference refunded. Oh, and $5? Hmm....

Comment

Working...
                                X