How I hate the colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I hate the colors

So I started a game this weekend with a random leader, large shuffle map. I get the Romans, and quickly meet the Indians. I hate meeting a neighbor with a similar color to mine (both Purple), but I figured I'd just take Asoka out early and it wouldn't be a problem.

I keep exploring and meet the French, also a purply-bluish color. I guess I've got two targets.

As I finish exploring what turns out to be a continent I meet the Vikings. Purple. Damn it.

To make it worse the continent was quite large for four players and the best land was behind Rome so I managed to expand peacefully the whole way through the Preat age. For the next 5500 years the four Purple countries shared their continent and everyone had open borders so there was a constant stream of purple troops everywhere. The only way to know if a city was garrisoned or being visited was to hover the mouse over it.

Ugh.

I really wish there was a way to change the colors of countries during the game. I knew from 10 minutes in that the purple was going to annoy me, but Rome was in such a pretty spot that I couldn't give it up.

Eventually I found I didn't have coal so Asoka did finally meet my army (which then rolled onto the Vikings, just because they could) and France became my vassal so the similar color was kinda nice.

Agreed. Having set colours is silly.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Same here, I have to 'mouse over' to check the colors. But at least there is a way to it. What about the Graph section? Its difficult to tell who's who on the graph.

Comment

Agreed on the graph. I always get the Russians and Japanese confused.

Comment

Agreed. It really isn't that difficult to have 24 different colors, is it?
          The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
          "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
          "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
          The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Preset colors are annoying, colors should be picked randomly at the start of the game, taking into account which colors has been used on which continent/island, so if there are enough civs in the game to need several colors to look a like, make sure that these civs are not bear each other
            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

While the very similar colors can be annoying, I think set colors are a good thing. You don't have to think twice when you see that peach color -- you know it's Isabella, same with lime green and montezuma. I think it would be more confusing if they changed from game to game, particularily now that i'm used to it.
              The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Set colors.

What if I want to be blue, no matter what civ I have?
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Is there any way of customising the colours at all (say in the XML files)? Because it's annoyed me for a while too. My problems are America and Persia (both light-ish blue) and Germany and England (both creamy-white).

Comment

Snoopy was kind enough to help me with custom colors in a different thread

Comment

set colors.

Comment

Wait. They tried variable colors in Civ 3, remember? And we complained about two civs having the same color. Which do you want?
                        "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
                        "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
                        "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

Comment

the fact is there aren't that many colors that are different from each other. There are what? 24 civs? And really there are only 6 or 8 colors that are that different from each other. Then you start moving into shades of blue, shades of red, shades of green, white, and grey. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                            the fact is there aren't that many colors that are different from each other. There are what? 24 civs? And really there are only 6 or 8 colors that are that different from each other. Then you start moving into shades of blue, shades of red, shades of green, white, and grey. That's it.
                            Well yes, different shades of colors. The point was to make them different enough that we don't get them confused.
                            The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                            "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                            "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                            The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

I suppose that some people are just less sensitive to color differences than others. I rarely have any problems with the civ colors except on the mini-map. On the F9 graphs I have to be careful, but I can tell the reds, yellows, etc. apart.

Comment

Working...
                              X