Tell me what you know about Black holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me what you know about Black holes

Most planets and other celestial bodies are stable because the Pauli force between electrons prevents atoms from collapsing into each other, while gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong force pull them together. These opposing forces create a balance which allows material bodies to retain their shape and structure. In extreme circumstances, however, if there is enough matter in a small enough space, gravity ends up winning, and the matter collapses: electrons cannot stay distant from the atomic nucleus, and incredibly dense matter forms (sometimes called neutronium).

If an even greater amount of mass is contained within the same space, even the Pauli force between nucleons cannot resist gravity and the body collapses into itself forming a black hole. In a way that can be hard to imagine, nothing can stop this collapse if enough matter gets into a small enough space, and the matter collapses to a point of zero height, width, and depth, known as a singularity. The mass in a singularity is so dense it is no longer "matter" in any real sense, but some kind of anomaly in space. Anything that gets too close to this singularity will also collapse into it the same way, whether it is matter, energy or even light itself, which is the fastest thing in the universe. The failure of even light to escape its gravitation is how this phenomenon initially acquired the name black hole.
    Does the matter just disapear, or does the blak holes get bigger?

Because matter and energy that pass this "boundary" can never escape back again, observers outside this invisible "boundary" can neither see inside nor detect what might happen within the interior—it is forever hidden from view. The invisible 'dividing line' in space where matter or energy will be unavoidably drawn into the black hole is known as the event horizon, because, like the earth's horizon, nothing can be seen beyond it.
    How is that possible?

And I have heard that blackholes dont really exist, that its a only theory. Is that true?

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Black holes are as good as white holes. People are equal
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

How predictable.

Spec.
      -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Isn't there one in Calcutta?
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I can tell you about sh*t holes...I used to live in one
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Spec
            How predictable.

Spec.
            yet how nice
            Middle East!

Comment

A black hole gets bigger when it gobbles up matter, yes.
              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Let me tell you about my ex-girlfriend. . .
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                  Isn't there one in Calcutta?
                  It was created upon my leaving after being born there.
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

please, leave New York. Perhaps black hole created by your leaving will suck Washington and Bush Jr in as well.
                    Middle East!

Comment

"Tell me what you know about Black holes"

I hear they're just as wet as other holes.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                        And it gets smaller when it consumes Antimatter.

This is AFAIR one of the reasons why very small black holes (AFAIK from the beginning of the universe) might disappear.

As vacuum isn´t empty but its energy niveau fluctuates meaning that pairs of photons and antiphotons get created and disappear fractions of microseconds later (by colliding again) it can happen near the event horizon, that one part of the pair crosses the event horizon and therefore the other part survives (letting the black hole emit radiation).

If I remember correctly primordial black holes swallow more antiphotons than photons and therefore shrink (and finally disappear)
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

and tight is better
                          Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST

And it gets smaller when it consumes Antimatter.
                            Um, no. Where did you get that idea from?
                            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Um, no. Where did you get that idea from?
                              It´s what I remember from Stephen Hawkins "A Brief history of time".

In the chapter about the mechanisms that lead to the shrinking of (theoretical) primordial black holes.

But it may be ten years ago when I last read it, therefore I´m not absolutely sure about it.
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Working...
                              X