Cooking with Gramps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking with Gramps

I have been on vacation this week and one of my passions is cooking, I love to experiment and have made a wide variety of delectable dishhes over the years. I was wondering if anyone else out there enjoy's cooking? I am not necessarily speaking of a professional calling but simply expressing oneself in the kitchen.

I will lay out some recipes I completed this week and please add any you may have concocted. Maybe we could even have an Apolyton Recipe Book?

GT
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

I enjoy my own cooking, as long as I'm cooking steak
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Scallop Wraps

I marinated 1 pound sea scallops in 8 ounces of John Boy and Billy Hot Sauce with 4 Tablespoons of Chinese Chili Sauce for several hours. I then parboiled 1 pound boneless chicken strips for 45 minutes, removed and allowed to cool.

I baked the sea scallops on a cookie sheet for 8 minutes at 400 degrees.

I took Tortilla Shells (10") and opened up a 14.5 oz can of Hunt's Diced Tomatoes in Basil, Garlic and Oregano. I also used Sargento shredded 4 cheese (like one might use on a Taco )

I simply put a row of bolied chicken(shredded), a row of shredded scallops already marinated and cooked, spooned a helping of the diced tomatoes and covered in a generous portion of cheese.

I then wrapped the shells (I used a couple toothpicks to keep together) then cooked 4 of them on a cookie sheet (cover cookie sheet with tinfoil and spray with a non stick such as PAM) so the tortilla dont stick.

Bake 3-5 minutes and as long as cheese appears melted on inside, they are done.

I served a small medley of Marinated Prawns (Jumbo Shrimp) on the side with the remainder of the diced tomatoes.

Gramps

Comment

Re: Cooking with Gramps

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
        Maybe we could even have an Apolyton Recipe Book?

GT
        I think we did that once. I seem to remember lots of stuff with cheese and beer.
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

If I cook, it´s normally asian food.
          For example japanese Meals like Buta-niki no shouga yaki, Sushi or other things.
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Try the same recipe with a considerably shorter cooking time on the scallops. They're delicate beasties, and taste far better when closer to the raw state.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Scallops Au Gratin Flounder Feast

Scallops Au Gratin

1 lb. sea scallops
              2 Tbsp. butter
              1/3 cup cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
              2 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
              2 Tbsp. cracker crumbs
              salt and pepper for taste

Sauté scallops gently in 1 Tbsp. butter for 2 minutes. Stir in soup, then season with salt and pepper.

Place in a 2 quart baking dish. Mix remaining butter, crumbs and parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over top of casserole and broil a few inches from heat until lightly golden browned and hot.

Scallops wrapped in Bacon

Makes 24 Pieces

Ingredients:

3 tbsp. soy sauce
              1 tbsp. Mirin (Chinese Rice Wine)
              1/4 tsp. hot Asian garlic chili sauce
              1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
              1 tsp. garlic finely chopped
              1 pinch sugar
              1 tsp sesame oil
              12 lg. sea scallops; halved
              12 thin slices bacon
              24 wooden toothpicks; soaked in water for 1 hour

Instructions:

In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, mirin, chili sauce, ginger, garlic, sugar and oil. Add scallops and toss well. Set aside to marinate for 1/2 hour under refrigeration.

Cook the bacon until lightly browned but only about half cooked. It must still be flexible enough to wrap around the scallops. Cut each piece in half.

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

Remove the scallops from the marinade and pat dry. Wrap each scallop in a piece of bacon and secure it with a toothpick.

Place the wrapped scallops on a broiler pan and cook for about 6 minutes until bacon is crispy and the scallops are firm. Serve immediately.

Flounder Filets

Wrap a cookie sheet in tin foil and spray with PAM or another non stick substance

I simply took several Flounders and filleted them and applied Old Bay Seasoning and squirted Lemon Juice and cooked about 13 minutes (HINT: when fish is white and flaky your done)

Enjoy!

GT

Comment

I like to cook, but I never use recipes, nor do I remember what I exactly did. I basically improvise...

Comment

Re: Scallops Au Gratin Flounder Feast

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
                  Scallops wrapped in Bacon
                  Ooh...now I want this:

Bacon wrapped water chestnuts

1 can water chestnuts
                  1/4 c. soy sauce
                  Enough bacon

Marinate the chestnuts for half an hour, then wrap each one with bacon and stab with a toothpick. Nuke for 6-8 minutes, depending on how crispy you want your bacon.
                  "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

1 steak

Dust with salt and freshly ground pepper. Rub with garlic and olive oil if I'm feeling adventurous.

Grill for 2-3 mins per side.

Eat.
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

b etor loves to cook

Comment

HINT FOR WRAPPING BACON AROUND FOOD!

I apologize I left this out:

Take wooden toothpicks in a bowl of water and SOAK for an hour so when you say take a Scallop and Wrap Bacon around it, simply skewer the food with the toothpick so as it is easy to eat when done and you dont burn yourself. The water soaking prevents the toothpick from igniting

Just a small hint

Comment

Originally posted by b etor
                          b etor loves to cook
                          Put up a recipe, as this is what we are discussing here

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                            1 steak

Dust with salt and freshly ground pepper. Rub with garlic and olive oil if I'm feeling adventurous.

Grill for 2-3 mins per side.

Eat.
                            I always cook my steak with garlic but i pan fry for Ultimate Control.
                            Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                            CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                            One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

I like to cook, but I'm not that good. I want to roast a chicken tonight. I'm just going to stick it in there at 350 and pull it out when the thingy pops up. Should I do something else?
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                              X