TXT_KEY errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TXT_KEY errors

Just come back to Civ after a long break so apologies if this has been answered before.

On installing Civ IV warlords (and downloading latest patch via the game screen) I find a number of XML errors - some lazy sod never finished the XML files before they published, it seems. There are a couple of buildings, a Chinese leader, and various diplomatic messages that do not appear properly - I get TXT_KEY_ .... etc.

Now I know I can trawl through the XML files and fix them, but that is ballsaching work. OK if I want to Mod but it shouldn't be necessary on the published game. And for some obscure reason it has not been fixed by the patch!!!

Anyone know where I can just get the corrected files?
    Taxation without representation is still tyranny.

I have never noticed this problem. Could you have an old XML file somewhere that is overiding the newer stuff?

RJM
    Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

I have fixed a couple of the errors - they are all in the xml files installed from the Warlords disk. For example I found that the Warlords xml file for buildings referred to _GREAT_DAM and by changing it to _THREEGORGESDAM I got the correct title in the game.

Comment

Have you patched? It's possible that this includes some XML updates.

RJM
        Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Hmnn ... this is curious. I defined and copied some stuff from a Civ IV XML file to a Warlords file and it totally broke!

However the issues are now resolved. How? Well it seems the Civ IV patch on the Warlords disk is NOT the same as the patch you download using the Civ IV program itself, despite being the same numbers.

I was using the patch on the Civ IV disk, which seemed a fairly reasonable thing to do. Downloading and installing the "same" patch using Civ IV sorted it all.

Which makes me wonder about the relationship between the two programs, and why they changed the TXT_KEYs in the first place! Still, probably more productive just to play rather than ponder such imponderables.

Comment

I have seen this in a couple mods only
            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

TXT_KEY means the game failed to find the text reference - often meaning a malformed xml file. Not sure why the disc's patch would be different from the downloaded one though

I think the problem you encountered with using Civ4 files to Warlords files is because they added some new elements in the Warlords files, so many of the Civ4 Vanilla files are incompatible with the Warlords schema for that file (as they odn't have an entry for Great General units, for example, or Unique Buildings, or ...) Even if the part doesn't relate to a new thing, the format of that part may be necessary to be different in some way.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
              X