Very interesting, Senator Obama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very interesting, Senator Obama

"Obama, a Democratic state senator from the Hyde Park neighborhood, made the remarks during a meeting Friday with the Tribune editorial board. Obama's Republican opponent, Alan Keyes, was invited to attend the same session but declined.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it has begun converting tons of uranium into gas, a crucial step in making fuel for a nuclear reactor or a nuclear bomb. The International Atomic Energy Agency has called for Iran to suspend all such activities.

Obama said the United States must first address Iran's attempt to gain nuclear capabilities by going before the United Nations Security Council and lobbying the international community to apply more pressure on Iran to cease nuclear activities. That pressure should come in the form of economic sanctions, he said.

But if those measures fall short, the United States should not rule out military strikes to destroy nuclear production sites in Iran, Obama said.

"The big question is going to be, if Iran is resistant to these pressures, including economic sanctions, which I hope will be imposed if they do not cooperate, at what point are we going to, if any, are we going to take military action?" Obama asked.

Given the continuing war in Iraq, the United States is not in a position to invade Iran, but missile strikes might be a viable option, he said. Obama conceded that such strikes might further strain relations between the U.S. and the Arab world.

"In light of the fact that we're now in Iraq, with all the problems in terms of perceptions about America that have been created, us launching some missile strikes into Iran is not the optimal position for us to be in," he said.

"On the other hand, having a radical Muslim theocracy in possession of nuclear weapons is worse. So I guess my instinct would be to err on not having those weapons in the possession of the ruling clerics of Iran. ... And I hope it doesn't get to that point. But realistically, as I watch how this thing has evolved, I'd be surprised if Iran blinked at this point."
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

What's so interesting? he understands what he needs to say if he wants to stand a chance of being elected.
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

It was interesting (and not necessarily in a good way...) when John Edwards said the same thing weeks ago.
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I only disagree with him to the extent he advocates attacking Iran to prevent them from getting the bomb. That doesn't differentiate him from other mainstream US pols, though, does it? Otherwise, what he said seems spot on.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Just about everyone, except a few of the posters here, realize that a nuclear Iran is about the world's biggest nightmare right now.

I can't believe the UN will allow that to happen. But if they don't have the spine - the US and Israel won't allow it.

Comment

Note that this article is from 2004, before he was elected to the Senate.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
              I only disagree with him to the extent he advocates attacking Iran to prevent them from getting the bomb. That doesn't differentiate him from other mainstream US pols, though, does it? Otherwise, what he said seems spot on.

-Arrian
              Yeah, seriously. Let Israel attack 'em, like they did Iraq years ago.

More fun for everyone involved.
              B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Deity Dude
                Just about everyone, except a few of the posters here, realize that a nuclear Iran is about the world's biggest nightmare right now.
                Such as China and Russia?
                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

A link to a non-reg req story about basically the same thing:

It was 2004, and the Democrats were looking for a way to counter the Bush administration's national-security-driven campaign without being perceived...

It discusses the positions of several prominent Dems, and points out there isn't much daylight, if any, between their positions and Bush's.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

It's just a cover for the secret deal he's working on to acquire an Iranian nuke to smuggle into the US.
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                      A link to a non-reg req story about basically the same thing:

It was 2004, and the Democrats were looking for a way to counter the Bush administration's national-security-driven campaign without being perceived...

It discusses the positions of several prominent Dems, and points out there isn't much daylight, if any, between their positions and Bush's.

-Arrian
                      thats where I got the link to the Trib story.

I agree it seems like a sensible position, not different from that of other dems, and not really very different from current Admin policy.

It does seem rather different from the position of some of Obamas more vocal supporters.

I do wonder if its the same as his current position.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                        What's so interesting? he understands what he needs to say if he wants to stand a chance of being elected.
                        Im told Obama is a different kind of pol who doesnt say things just to get elected. Hilary and Edwards are the old style pols who say things to get elected.

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay
                          Note that this article is from 2004, before he was elected to the Senate.
                          Note it was from only three years ago.

We're told McCain is a flip-floper for taking different stands now then he did in 2000.

Is it being elected to the Senate that is magic?

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris

Such as China and Russia?
                            Like I said, "except a few of the posters here".

Posters who don't understand the difference between Russia/China and Iran.

Comment

If we could have prevented the Russians from getting the bomb, we should have.

Comment

Working...
                              X