English native speakers: Please help me understand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English native speakers: Please help me understand

So I heard this song about a thousand times, but today I finally got myself to search for the lyrics; And how surprised have I been to find that Miss Tanita Tikaram has sung "twist in my sobriety" and not "twisted misoriety"... (Yes, I do know now that such a word doesn´t even exist...)

But: I cannot understand the chorus of that song. I mean I can read the text and I know the meaning of each individual word, but the meaning of the sentence absolutely escapes my grasp. Could you ever-knowing, always-friendly, loving-to-help native speakers please rephrase the chorus?

look my eyes are just holograms
    look your love has drawn red from my hands
    from my hands you know you'll never be
    more than twist in my sobriety
    Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
    Let me eat your yummy brain!
    "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

They are saying that things aren't real, they're going to slash their wrists and it will mean nothing more than not being able to think straight.

*shrug*
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

look my eyes are just holograms
      look your love has drawn red from my hands
      from my hands you know you'll never be
      more than twist in my sobriety
      And I thought the 60's had bizarre lyrics.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
        They are saying that things aren't real, they're going to slash their wrists and it will mean nothing more than not being able to think straight.

*shrug*
        Thank you for that quick answer!

So, I can follow:
        holograms = unreal
        drawn red from hands = slash wrists doesn´t matter

But how does "You will never be more than twist in my sobriety from my hands" translate to I cannot think straight?

For me it sounds like "For me you´re nothing more than a distraction from reality", which is obviously wrong... :?
        Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES

Comment

The phrases aren't idioms and have no meaning other than the composite of the words. i.e. I am just guessing at what is being meant by the metaphor.

'Twist in sobriety' makes me think you are 'not thinking straight', but 'distraction from reality' is an equally valid interpretation. I guess it has to be taken in context with the rest of the song.

Comment

Darn. I just thought to have reached that level where I started understanding songs and movies without subtitles, and then there comes this stupid song. But it is somewhat reassuring to hear it isn´t that clear to native speakers as well.

Thanks for the replies!

Comment

Tanita Tikaram : Ancient Heart

I guess I'm going to have to get this now.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Dauphin, shouldn't you have selected DanS's avatar?
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Is that George Costanza?
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

You think songwriters make sense?

Comment

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                        You think songwriters make sense?
                        Aren't you one?

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                          Is that George Costanza?
                          wally shawn, I think.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I think that was the point, LS.

Major to Dauphin's avatar, btw. Vizzini!!

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                              Dauphin, shouldn't you have selected DanS's avatar?
                              Maybe.

Comment

Working...
                              X