IRC matters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRC matters

1. #apolyton often (constantly) gets visits by people who come in to ask a question, stick around for ten seconds or so, and disappear, never to be seen again. Those few who have the patience to wait a bit longer *do* tend to get an answer, since you have... dedicated people like I providing that service (for free, and no ads ).

Thing is, it kind of annoys me to watch all of these people come and go, not knowing if they will ever actually get an answer or know where to look for it. I'd really appreciate it if you added a note to http://apolyton.net/misc/chat/ or somewhere else where it's likely be read saying something like this:

Note that the regulars on #apolyton don't sit glued to their computer screens 24 hours a day. Please do not come in and ask a question and disappear ten seconds later. We're nice people, really, and we'd love to help, but we can't do it if you don't give us a little time to actually respond. Stay around for an hour or so - just leave the window open and go about your business, checking it for responses every now and then. That's what we do. It won't hurt, and it gives you a much greater chance that somebody actually is awake and active in that time period, and can help you.

-- Ari Rahikkala, one of the idlers
    2. Your Java IRC client sucks. It spams the user with "unregistered evaluation copy" messages and has a horrible interface which spends bunches of screen real estate on useless crud like coloured text. Please replace it with something halfway decent like PJIRC instead. (if somebody else has better ideas, please bring them out - I just googled for "irc applet" and picked the first one that was free)

3. Fix that "people in the chat room:" bar on the forum already . Or, rather, roll back your breaking of it. I promise not to play games with making announcements to the forum with /nick... much .
    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Re: IRC matters

Originally posted by Ari Rahikkala
    3. Fix that "people in the chat room:" bar on the forum already
    Seconded
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Re: IRC matters

Originally posted by Ari Rahikkala
      1. #apolyton often (constantly) gets visits by people who come in to ask a question, stick around for ten seconds or so, and disappear, never to be seen again. Those few who have the patience to wait a bit longer *do* tend to get an answer, since you have... dedicated people like I providing that service (for free, and no ads ).

Thing is, it kind of annoys me to watch all of these people come and go, not knowing if they will ever actually get an answer or know where to look for it. I'd really appreciate it if you added a note to http://apolyton.net/misc/chat/ or somewhere else where it's likely be read saying something like this:
      That's not a bad idea, I'll see what I can do.

2. Your Java IRC client sucks. It spams the user with "unregistered evaluation copy" messages and has a horrible interface which spends bunches of screen real estate on useless crud like coloured text. Please replace it with something halfway decent like PJIRC instead. (if somebody else has better ideas, please bring them out - I just googled for "irc applet" and picked the first one that was free)
      It's on my to-do list, but not near the top.

3. Fix that "people in the chat room:" bar on the forum already . Or, rather, roll back your breaking of it. I promise not to play games with making announcements to the forum with /nick... much .
      It's close to the top of my to-do list.
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Ari

Locutus has been busy and I am bumping this as a friendly additional reminder.

I am sure when he has the time, he will gt to it.

Thanks

Gramps
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

No particular reason why I'm *bump*ing this thread today, I just felt like complaining about the slow response
          This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

I'm bumping this, in hope that someone explain me how this idling thing works...

Comment

Where does this stand in relation to teh forum upgrade?
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

It will be upgraded along with the forum upgrade, but probably not before.
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

So we're going to have LOLcats answer questions in irc?
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

IM IN UR IRC

IDLING

Comment

Yes, points #2 and #3 of the OP will be addressed when we upgrade the forums.

For #1 I have a much more ambitious plan than what Ari suggests but I don't know how much work it would be to implement (it might be more than it's worth considering I've never seen it in action on any other site) so I don't want to talk about specifics yet. Definitely won't happen until some time after the forum upgrade.

Once Solver's finally fixed our stats software I'll see if I can convince him to put something along the message in the OP in the welcome message of our existing IRC server, no reason to wait for a forum upgrade with that other than that I have my hands more than full already (and that it takes ages to get Solver to do anything useful )

Comment

I don't understand your avatar

Comment

You can't convince me, don't even try

And I don't understand your avatar either, and the link wants Shockwave
                          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Well, if you're willing to miss out on the best game reviews online over something silly like that you don't deserve to understand my avatar

Comment

Working...
                            X