X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300: Last stand of the child-molesting psychos

I consulted Wikipedia about this movie, and it helpfully informed me:

"this movie is gay dont see it or ill rape you"

All in lowercase, just like that. Hooray for Wikipedia. Anyway, what's up with this? I got that it's adapted exactly from a graphic novel, just like Sin City, by checking the link to the comic. I assume they left out certain things for dramatic effect, such as:

-The Spartans, like most of ancient Greece, had an established, proud tradition of grown men seducing twelve-year-old boys.
    -Sparta was a militaristic nightmare of a state. Boys were raised in barracks apart from their families (when they weren't getting railed, that is), and had to live in the wild for a year or two killing the lower classes to survive as part of their combat training. Sickly children were exposed to die for the good of the state.
    -The "last stand of the 300" actually involved more than a thousand men, counting all their servants, armorers, etc.
    -When the Persian army encountered the Spartans at Thermopylae, the Greek warriors were having their hair dressed.

My source for all of these is Larry Gonick's Cartoon History of the Universe, vol. 1; I always avoided reading more about the incident due to the weirdness of what I already know. I don't have a lot of interest in seeing the movie, since the sheer machismo-vibes given off by the ads are too strong for me to watch with a straight face. I am, however, very interested in what they did to achieve that lurid, cartoonish look. Every shot has this eye-catching, excessive contrast. Is it some sort of color filter for the film, or a certain kind of camera, or computer-aided editing?

Oh, and who here actually wants to see it?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

lol sodomy

mehh. i'll see it at the dollar theater when it gets there.

Comment

I've not read the comic but I will go to see this, partly because it has one of the best trailers I've ever seen, partly because I know the director is currently working on an adaption of Alan Moore's Watchmen - unfilmable as far as I'm concerned.

As for the realities of the actual conflict and how they're portrayed in the film: Herodotus, father of history (or whatever), is responsible for much of what we know about the conflict. Had the conflict taken place a thousand years earlier it would most likely have been remembered as a story or myth, similar to how the Trojan war is now known as The Iliad. My understanding is that the comic (which I haven't read) was an attempt to mythicise the conflict - that it deliberately diverges from reality.
      LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

Re: 300: Last stand of the child-molesting psychos

Originally posted by Elok
        Oh, and who here actually wants to see it?
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I want to see it too. I'm just afraid they want to make some dumb political points (Spartans fighting for democracy against evil hordes), but maybe I'm wrong.

Re comic look I vaguely remember that they did indeed a lot of computer aided stuff to achieve that.
          Blah

Comment

Re: 300: Last stand of the child-molesting psychos

Originally posted by Elok
            I consulted Wikipedia about this movie, and it helpfully informed me:

"this movie is gay dont see it or ill rape you"

All in lowercase, just like that. Hooray for Wikipedia. Anyway, what's up with this? I got that it's adapted exactly from a graphic novel, just like Sin City, by checking the link to the comic. I assume they left out certain things for dramatic effect, such as:

-The Spartans, like most of ancient Greece, had an established, proud tradition of grown men seducing twelve-year-old boys.
            -Sparta was a militaristic nightmare of a state. Boys were raised in barracks apart from their families (when they weren't getting railed, that is), and had to live in the wild for a year or two killing the lower classes to survive as part of their combat training. Sickly children were exposed to die for the good of the state.
            -The "last stand of the 300" actually involved more than a thousand men, counting all their servants, armorers, etc.
            -When the Persian army encountered the Spartans at Thermopylae, the Greek warriors were having their hair dressed.
            If you take offense at last bit, you're unspeakably gay.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Re look again, the official site http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/ has some "making of" info, but I didn't check it
              Blah

Comment

Apparently the graphic novel was based on the 1970s movie - which was based on the Herodotus account.

I keep seeing people complaining that the movie looks unrealistic (that's the point) or will have messages or whatever. It's just stylized vision of how Thermopylae went down. There's a hunchback who wants to prove himself and the Spartans treat him like crap. There are mostly naked men running around. There are instances of the Spartans being dicks about guys who aren't strong enough. The Persians are stylized with masks. It's not meant to be real, it's meant to be cool. Oh and the graphic novel couldn't have been more than like 40 pages. Most of that is just imagery - not a lot of talking that I remember.
                I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                New faces...Strange places,
                Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Re: Re: 300: Last stand of the child-molesting psychos

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                  If you take offense at last bit, you're unspeakably gay.
                  I don't take offense. I just suspect they'll have a hard time making it look macho and manly.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                  X