Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new SMACX installation refuses to recognize SMAC CD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new SMACX installation refuses to recognize SMAC CD?

Dear Forum,

I just installed SMACX (Alien Crossfire). After trying to run it, it requested a CD. So I spent 20 minutes rummaging house and garage and eventually found my original SMAC CD, but, after inserting it and re-running it still is requesting "the correct CD" and refusing to run.

What should I do? I'd like to try SMACX.

I'm using a custom directory for my SMAC/SMACX install...

Help.

You need the SMAX cd in the drive.

If you don't have one, I understand there are programming ways around the issue - but it is seldom spoken of and I am not sure where you get it
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Re: new SMACX installation refuses to recognize SMAC CD?

Originally posted by dmjones217
      I spent 20 minutes rummaging house and garage and eventually found my original SMAC CD, but, after inserting it and re-running it still is requesting "the correct CD" and refusing to run.

You shouldn't need the SMAC CD in order to run SMAX. Anyways, several things here:

1) If your getting to the "Abort/Retry/Continue" screen are you trying to select "Continue"? I've run into this before, and the game will load after encountering this pop-up.

2) Try drilling down in your custom subdirectory where the SMACX loadings are and trying to start "terranx" from there (with the SMAX disk in the disk drive).

3) Esoterically, I seem to vaguely recall an issue where someone had switched out CD Drives (it had failed or something like that) and his system didn't recognize the SMACX loading anymore for some reason. He ended up reinstalling the game in order to get it to run.

Don't know of anything else off the top of my head, but if I do I post them as well.

D

Comment

Re: Re: new SMACX installation refuses to recognize SMAC CD?

Originally posted by Darsnan

You shouldn't need the SMAC CD in order to run SMAX.
        While I need my SMAC cd to run SMAX, I have always needed my SMAX cd to run SMAX-- I assumed that was what he meant
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
        X