Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The math of ground-based telescopes v. space-based telescopes v. interstellar probes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The math of ground-based telescopes v. space-based telescopes v. interstellar probes

Lately, I've been thinking about the relative advantages and disadvantages of ground-based telescopes, space-based telescopes, and interstellar probes.

Some of the qualitative stuff is easy to get a sense of. For instance, with adaptive optics to correct for the interference of the atmosphere, ground-based telescopes are getting a new lease on life. Also, scientists have figured out how to put together arrays of telescopes, which increases the relative attractiveness of telescopes v. interstellar probes. NIMBY makes space-based telescopes more attractive. Limited rocket payload diameters make ground-based telescopes more attractive. The time to develop, build, and launch a space-based telescope makes ground-based telescopes more attractive. The long time that it takes an interstellar probe to reach its destination makes telescopes more attractive. And so on.

However, I have little sense about the math for interstellar probes and would like y'all's thoughts on that and/or links to papers or discussions of it.

For instance, I want to place a probe payload of a couple thousand pounds into orbit around Alpha Centauri. Let's pretend that we have high-power solid state lasers, such that the transportation system of the probe could be powered on the outbound leg by laser from Earth orbit. Let's also pretend that VASIMR propulsion is available.

What would be the spacecraft total weight and time to destination? Would it ever make sense, given our current scientific outlook to do interstellar probes?
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Heh, Heh, Heh... Dan said probe...

[/beavis]
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Re: The math of ground-based telescopes v. space-based telescopes v. interstellar probes

Originally posted by DanS
      What would be the spacecraft total weight and time to destination?
      I have no idea.

But...you forgot to mention balloon telescopes in your analysis. These are being use, and at 1% the cost of a space launch, can get about 95% of the atomosphere.

Comment

A balloon is going to have a difficult time getting to another star, Zkrib.

NIMBY makes space-based telescopes more attractive.

Why? You never put them near people anyway, 'cause of the light pollution.

Comment

Believe it or not, that's where native burial sites and such stuff are at. At least in the US, this is a big consideration. See, e.g., Mt. Graham.

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Believe it or not, that's where native burial sites and such stuff are at.

Bah

Comment

For the sake of argument, we could pretend that adaptive optics have advanced so much that we no longer need to use mountaintops for astronomy. I allow it for this discussion.

Comment

the answer is too depressing

It's why I don't work at places like JPL anymore. I went for the money instead and am much happier.
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

with adaptive optics to correct for the interference of the atmosphere, ground-based telescopes are getting a new lease on life

Often overstated. Corrective optics don't work all that well yet, and there is some doubt that they'll ever be able to help all that much.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

pchang: Are interstellar probes several orders of magnitude from making sense?

Comment

For the sake of argument, we could pretend that adaptive optics have advanced so much that we no longer need to use mountaintops for astronomy. I allow it for this discussion.
                      I don't think you have a real sense for just how difficult, if not impossible that would be.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Are interstellar probes several orders of magnitude from making sense?
                        Yes.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Won't we always need some space-based just because of the atmosphere filtering out parts of the spectrum?

Comment

what Krazyhorse said
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              with adaptive optics to correct for the interference of the atmosphere, ground-based telescopes are getting a new lease on life

Often overstated. Corrective optics don't work all that well yet, and there is some doubt that they'll ever be able to help all that much.
                              That's good to know. I'm also interested in arrays of telescopes. For instance, the diameter of the Hubble mirror (~2 meters) was in part constrained by the diameter of the payload bay of the Shuttle. I could imagine multiple mirrors unfold on orbit to create an array. In addition, we could use the proposed new NASA exploration rocketry, which has much larger diameters.

Comment

Working...
                              X