Beating the Barbarian Scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beating the Barbarian Scenario

I was wondering if anyone had some tips for beating the barbarian scenario? I've lost twice now, and I'm only on noble! Both times, I've wiped out one civ, but in the middle of the next one, I usually start running into gunpowder units. Do the barbarians ever get the option of buying guns, or do you just have to get the bulk of your work done before the civs get to guns?

Move quick, keep your camp with you. Buy Tribs. Break into two groups, Your main force and one to keep you flank pinned.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I know on easier levels you can just buy untrained units, but beyond some point you have to save up for promotions just to keep up. And at that point I usually concede the game.

Comment

Playing at the higher levels, rah has the right idea.
        You really do need to move fast, before they get far superior units. A minimum of two SOD's are required. In addition, cheap unpromoted mounted units can be left behind to do the pillaging... they will eventually die, but will usually earn you more money then they cost. You also need to have good "heal Units" with you SOD's. You really can't afford to sit around for long periods of time waiting to heal.

Stacks of promoted city raiding tribs with proper support units can do a lot of damage

The real key is to stay on the move... kill quickly. If not, you will indeed lose.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

and those cheap unpromoted mounted units can be your searchers to verify that the AI haven't gotten past you to resettle. I'll usually leave a real small stack back with the pillagers to handle any stray settlers that get by. If you can get them quickly the new cities will be defended with almost nothing so you small stack can usually handle it.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Another trick is to keep a few small stacks of cheap un promoted units out in front of your primary SOD's. These will soak up the first waves of attacks as you enter new territories... making it possible for you to get next to the cities so that your tribs can do their job.

Another trick is in some situations is to leave one unit left alive in the city and then stop the attack. The AI will then usually move as many units as it can into the city... which is where you want them since your tribs are more effective against cities then they are in the field. This will leave less units for you to fight as you move toward your next target.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
            X