Bigger Maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger Maps

In Civ 2 you had a big map with no problems. In Civ 3, you could used the editer with no problems. How do we make a bigger map in Civ 4?

huge map isnt big enough?
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
      huge map isnt big enough?
      No.

Comment

What could you possibly need a bigger map than huge for?

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph
          How do we make a bigger map in Civ 4?
          If memory serves, it's Assets/XML/GameInfo/WorldInfo.xml. It's been awhile so I'm not entirely positive that's the name of it. But it's somewhere in that folder at any rate, just look around.

Simply adjust the numbers for the map sizes after you open the file in Notepad or other text editor. I hope you have a fairly powerful machine, since the bigger the map gets, the more it has to work. Especially in the end game. I'd increase the size slowly until you know how much your system can handle. Don't expect a major size increase though, it's not going to be like Civ 2. This version is much more demanding.

Comment

You're going to need some serious system to be able to handle a map any bigger than a large - it grinds my system to a standstill...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I have a 2 year old 2.8 gig w/ a gig of RAM. Niv 6600 GTA w/128 meg. Internal Sound.

I need a new video card with at lease 256 megs., or the newer 512.
              Last edited by Joseph; February 5, 2007, 22:18.

Comment

The GHz number alone doesn't tell much about the actual speed of your computer - an AMD 64 3500+, which is 2.2 GHz, is faster in practice than an Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz processor. We're past the days when the Gigaherz number was a reliable indication of the speed of the machine, the manufacturer an model are relevant information.

In any case, I'd say that you are going to have to be veeeery patient to play huge maps, and can have a coffee break between moves if you edit in much bigger maps than that.
                Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Comment

You would also need to increase turn count unless you want units to be obsolete by the time they reach the edge of your borders.

Comment

I have a 2 year old 2.8 gig w/ a gig of RAM. Niv 6600 GTA w/128 meg. Internal Sound.

I need a new video card with at lease 256 megs., or the newer 528.
                    Another gig of Ram, or more, wouldn't hurt either.

Comment

I want to thank everone for the help.

Comment

No.
                        I know what you mean about having a nice big map, bigger the better. But watch out, Civ4 is unlike the much loved C3C.
                        ICS is now obsolete, and more cities the better is now a BAD idea, I have been crippled before by maintanance costs and it aint funny! A lot of cities will actually LOSE you money until they become well established.
                        Im currently playing on a huge map, yes I love big maps, but... it now takes one of my tanks 6 turns to go from the top of my continent to the bottom, using railroad in almost a straight line.
                        Im seriously thinking about changing the movement cost of railroad back to zero, but I believe this is unrealistic and I want to leave it alone, also I dont want to mess up the road/terrain movement.

With your system on a map bigger than huge, by the time you reach year 2000 you will have serious problems...

Comment

Originally posted by Herod

I know what you mean about having a nice big map, bigger the better. But watch out, Civ4 is unlike the much loved C3C.
                          ICS is now obsolete, and more cities the better is now a BAD idea, I have been crippled before by maintanance costs and it aint funny! A lot of cities will actually LOSE you money until they become well established.
                          Aaah, the beauty of state property...

Admittedly, it does take a while until you can get it. But once you do...

Comment

I think that when I get around to upgrading this system, I will try a really big map and squeeze 24 civs onto it...I hope my next system will be a beast
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                              I think that when I get around to upgrading this system, I will try a really big map and squeeze 24 civs onto it...I hope my next system will be a beast
                              Well...if you have mucho dinero, it will be

Asmodean
                              Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Working...
                              X