Yet another Windows XP question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another Windows XP question

So, I'm ready to buy a genuine copy of XP Pro.

Through Pricewatch I see the Student / Work at Home version of XP Pro for $102.95. Is this the same as the full commercial version? What's the difference (if any)?

If this isn't my best option, where would you recommend I get a copy (I'd like to save money if possible.) The full version is $299.99 at Best Buy (gulp!)

Thanks.

Why noy just get Vista?
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

My PC isn't high-end (1.8 GHz, 1 GB RAM), and I don't plan on upgrading. I don't know if Vista will support all my games (my PC is primarily a game machine), especially some of the older ones. I know XP, whereas I'm unfamiliar with Vista. I hope to buy a nice new PC sometime in the next year which will probably have Vista, but I just want to extend the life of my current rig a little longer until I can afford a new machine. I want the easiest, cheapest option right now.

Comment

I'm counting on XP dropping in price with Vista coming out. There are indications that Pro might become cheaper than Home. I'll be surprised if it isn't available for under $100.

I don't think you should be paying Best Buy prices.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

My PC isn't high-end (1.8 GHz, 1 GB RAM)

That should be good enough, as long as you have a decent vid card. Perhaps a bit more RAM, but that's fairly cheap these days.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

BizRate shows several companies offering full versions of XP for about $120.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I believe Student pricing is just that, pricing, it requires you to prove you're a student etc... but is full version otherwise.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
              X