No announcement yet.

Uncashed cheque - what should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys are more reasonable than I had thought.
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Concerning banks and such, only listen to me, atleast, I know what I am talking about.

Just wait another 3 months! A check is only good for 6 months, after that, they cant cash it and the money is yours!

Trust me, I know.

Spec.
      -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Of course. The problem is that I still owe them the money, don't I?
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Yes, actually.

There's a limit on that too, but it's much longer, as I said. 2 years in NA IIRC
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
            Of course. The problem is that I still owe them the money, don't I?
            Yes, but it is unlikely that they will ask for it after 6 months. Its a long process! If they didn't pass it already, its most likely lost...as usuall when this happens. Worst case scenario, they find out in you r next semester that you have an unpaid fee. It should go as follows:

-Sir, we need a check for you last semester
            -Yes, I gave you a check.
            -Ummmm no, (because it is mostlikely lost).
            -Well, I am 100% positive I gave it to you.
            -Can you prove it?
            -Sure, but I will have to ask the bank to make a research, and usually, it is around 5$ per day searched to search my account. I gave the check to you in late september, early october, not sure, and you may have cashed it up to late november. So, if you want proof, I will have to make my bank make a search in my account for those 3 months, and its 5$ a day, so it comes close to 400$ (85 days times 5$). And I am positive I gave you the check. So I can make a reseach, buit if I am right, you will give me back my 400$ of reseaching fees since it was your mistake.
            -Ummmm, I will have to call you back on that
            -Yes, you probably should

And they will most surely abandon your case and mark it as paid since they dont want to take the chance to give you back 400$

If it backfires i your face and they say ''ok'', then you dont make a research act as if you did and tell them you know they have the check and did not cash it because you found the stub in your check book. If they dont find it, you write them another one, minus the fees for a stop payment for the lost check so they dont cash it. But of course you dont make a stop payment because the 6 month delay has passed and they dont have the right to pass the check.

But I really doubt it will backfire, that's what we recommended people to do. Bureaucracy is fun to play with.

Spec.
            Last edited by Spec; January 12, 2007, 09:55.
            -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I agree with those that say there's a 6 month rule but you can't count on it. I've had many checks cleared after 6 months. There are so many automated processes that don't check the date.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                I agree with those that say there's a 6 month rule but you can't count on it. I've had many checks cleared after 6 months. There are so many automated processes that don't check the date.
                If it does, its illegal. Both financial institutions are liable. The one that accepted the check, and your bank, because it allowed it to go threw even though the 6 months delay was passed.

In that case, no matter if you owed the money or not, they have to give you back the money, and withdraw it from the other account. Cashing a check that passed the 6 months delay is the same thing as using fake money, Its illegal.

Spec.

Comment

You should check on the status of your account. And no, I wouldn't say "You haven't cashed one of my checks yet, so I want to know why"... but instead say, that you are updating your records, and you were just checking to see if you had any outstanding liabilities

If they say yes, you still owe them money, tell them about the check. If they say your account is up to date, wait 3 more months and have a good laugh
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Good solution.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                      You should check on the status of your account. And no, I wouldn't say "You haven't cashed one of my checks yet, so I want to know why"... but instead say, that you are updating your records, and you were just checking to see if you had any outstanding liabilities

If they say yes, you still owe them money, tell them about the check. If they say your account is up to date, wait 3 more months and have a good laugh
                      I wouldn't do that, because that way, you make them check your file and open the door to let them find out.

I say wait, keep it low and do what I suggested.

Spec.

Comment

Spec, it may be illegal but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Most people don't ever complain about it since the check is usually a payment for a service or product which if not payed is still owed on. My buddy at the bank said this happens all the time and he had never heard of anyone ever making a fuss about it. (obviously that doesn't mean that it never happens, but more likely shows that it's rare)
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Spec

I wouldn't do that, because that way, you make them check your file and open the door to let them find out.

I say wait, keep it low and do what I suggested.

Spec.
                          Unless you are graduating or leaving... they are going to check the file at some point. You might as well learn right now what THEY think the situation is. It will save problems later, and let you know where you stand.
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

Unless you are graduating or leaving... they are going to check the file at some point. You might as well learn right now what THEY think the situation is. It will save problems later, and let you know where you stand.
                            Not if you do as I said in post #20 and scare them with research fees. I did it myself with my Hydro bill 6 years ago. They cleared it for free 8 months after since they didn't want to pay for the research fees.
                            When you propose to make a research, you show will to fix the situation, and to make it fair, you propose to pay if you are in the wrong, and they pay if they are wrong. Since they COULD bewrong, they'd rather drop the charges instead of paying the fees. They also add man hours on the situation, which end up being very costly for them in the long run.

Thats why they usually write it off.

Spec.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                              Spec, it may be illegal but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Most people don't ever complain about it since the check is usually a payment for a service or product which if not payed is still owed on. My buddy at the bank said this happens all the time and he had never heard of anyone ever making a fuss about it. (obviously that doesn't mean that it never happens, but more likely shows that it's rare)
                              Trust me, if someone passes a check 6 months after I gave it to them, I will be the first one to call the bank to give them shlt. Otherwise, why the hell is there a 6 month time limit if no one has to respect it?!

Spec.

Comment

But see, universities dont' really care much about time. So they are more likely to say... OK, cancel that one and write us another one.

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X