Uncashed cheque - what should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Miller
    But see, universities dont' really care much about time. So they are more likely to say... OK, cancel that one and write us another one.

JM
    Not if you say you are positive it went threw. Then your only choice is to make a research.

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

If they follow up on it though, you get in trouble for fraud. Besides the fact that what you are suggesting is blatently illegal.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

My thoughts exactly.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Spec
          Not if you do as I said in post #20 and scare them with research fees. I did it myself with my Hydro bill 6 years ago. They cleared it for free 8 months after since they didn't want to pay for the research fees.
          When you propose to make a research, you show will to fix the situation, and to make it fair, you propose to pay if you are in the wrong, and they pay if they are wrong. Since they COULD bewrong, they'd rather drop the charges instead of paying the fees. They also add man hours on the situation, which end up being very costly for them in the long run.

Thats why they usually write it off.

Spec.
          I didn't say that you shouldn't go down this path if they claim you still owe them money... but you might not even have to bring it up if their records show the account as paid up already

I'm just saying that in a situation where you account will eventually hve to be checked, it is a good idea to start the process now...
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

If they follow up on it though, you get in trouble for fraud. Besides the fact that what you are suggesting is blatently illegal.

JM
            Are you high? How or where the hell do you see fraud?

It's called manipulating of a situation.

Spec.
            -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

I didn't say that you shouldn't go down this path if they claim you still owe them money... but you might not even have to bring it up if their records show the account as paid up already

I'm just saying that in a situation where you account will eventually hve to be checked, it is a good idea to start the process now...
              Sure, if your honest.

I'm not in these cases. I'd rather try and save the money, I'd have nothing to lose, except what I'd really owe.

Spec.

Comment

Originally posted by Spec

Are you high? How or where the hell do you see fraud?

It's called manipulating of a situation.

Spec.
                Fraud must be proved by showing that the defendant's actions involved five separate elements: (1) a false statement of a material fact, (2) knowledge on the part of the defendant that the statement is untrue, (3) intent on the part of the defendant to deceive the alleged victim, (4) justifiable reliance by the alleged victim on the statement, and (5) injury to the alleged victim as a result.

Your actions fulfill all 5 of these conditions, and may thus be considered fraud in the US. AFAIK, Canada and other Commonwealth countries have an even broader view of what constitutes fraud.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If you make a statement you know to be false in order to get out of paying a debt then I don't understand how you could possibly not consider that fraud.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

BTW, people doing that sort of thing is why the financial institutions are sometimes bastards to the rest of us.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Fraud must be proved by showing that the defendant's actions involved five separate elements: (1) a false statement of a material fact, (2) knowledge on the part of the defendant that the statement is untrue, (3) intent on the part of the defendant to deceive the alleged victim, (4) justifiable reliance by the alleged victim on the statement, and (5) injury to the alleged victim as a result.

Your actions fulfill all 5 of these conditions, and may thus be considered fraud in the US. AFAIK, Canada and other Commonwealth countries have an even broader view of what constitutes fraud.
                      For it to be called fraud, it has to be proven. And what dumbfvck would be so stupid to get caught? How can they prove that you knew it wasn't passed? Pffff.

Their word against mine.

Problem solved.

Spec.

Comment

BTW, people doing that sort of thing is why the financial institutions are sometimes bastards to the rest of us.

JM
                        Sure...that's why...its not to suck every penny they can from your pocket to maximise their profit so that the shares go up...

Secondly, it has nothing to do with banks JM, its the schools money we are talking about. The bank doesn't lose or make money with this situation. Try to follow.

Spec.

Comment

Given that you just admitted doing that to Hydro-Quebec I'd say you did a pretty good job of proving it yourself.

And just because you haven't been convicted of it doesn't mean you didn't commit a felony.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Given that you just admitted doing that to Hydro-Quebec I'd say you did a pretty good job of proving it yourself.

And just because you haven't been convicted of it doesn't mean you didn't commit a felony.
                            Convicted....

OOOoooouuuu! I'm a big felon!

They try to sueeze every penny they can out of me and you! Fvck them! I'll save money where I can from these kinds of institution.

They should be convicted...

I dont care what you say, I have absolutely no regrets.

Spec.

Comment

You are a dishonest guttersnipe.

You're the type of person who pulls this **** all the time and then, the day it comes back on him, tries to give everybody a sob story about how it was all a mistake, and besides, what you did wasn't that horrible.

You defrauded Hydro-Quebec out of what was probably several hundred dollars. In my mind, you're no better than somebody who picks pockets for a living. You and your kind are the exact reason why the rest of us have to jump through hoops whenever we run into real mistakes or misunderstandings.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You are a dishonest guttersnipe.

You're the type of person who pulls this **** all the time and then, the day it comes back on him, tries to give everybody a sob story about how it was all a mistake, and besides, what you did wasn't that horrible.

You defrauded Hydro-Quebec out of what was probably several hundred dollars. In my mind, you're no better than somebody who picks pockets for a living. You and your kind are the exact reason why the rest of us have to jump through hoops whenever we run into real mistakes or misunderstandings.

Oh mighty KH with the easy judgment...

Stfu. You dont even know me or what the situation was. How about you use these things we call questions instead of assuming...

Wanna know what happened oh mighty KH?

I moved in an apartment, lived there for 2 YEARS, and settled for monthly fixed payments for my hydro (since the cost in the summer is less than in winter) based on the last tenants consumption.
                                So, every month, they take out money from my account until the last month I live there, never ever missed a payment. I move out, make my change of address with hydro, move in my house, and 4 MONTHS later, I receive a bill from my last address saying I owed them 318 some $ for going over my monthly consumption, with late fees (WTF!?!) and the 5% increase of the current year retroed on the last 2 years...I can accept the over consumption, but the late fees and 5% increase that wasn't even applied when I lived there?! No way!

Rather than going to court to solve this, or spending hours on the phone to try to reach someone who knew what he was talking about, I found a better way to fix the situation.

Spec.
                                Last edited by Spec; January 12, 2007, 11:35.

Comment

Working...
                                X