Support an Apolyton OT that advertisers flee in terror from: Buy Stuff from Amazon (UK, CA, FR, DE). You know you were going to buy it anyway.

View Poll Results: What should I do?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll

1 10.00%
  • Save the money

7 70.00%
  • Spend the money on booze

2 20.00%
  • No booze for you, Pina Colada rules!1!!

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Uncashed cheque - what should I do?

Oncle Boris
    Country
    This is Oncle Boris's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    03:04

Uncashed cheque - what should I do?

The university still hasn't cashed in the €420 cheque I gave them three months ago.

Should I -

a) report it
    b) wait and hope they forget, but keep the money in my savings account just in case
    c) spend the money on booze

Option B requires more precision. If I am to keep the money just in case, how long should I?
    "The boastful seeks the company of parasites." (Spinoza)

KrazyHorse
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    I don't know how it is in France, but IIRC in NA personal cheques are good for 6 months after date of issue.

Also, even if they let that deadline expire they can still ask you for new payment of whatever you owe them for a period of ~2 years (again, in NA, and again IIRC), even though not cashing your cheque was their fault. I'd make sure that you keep the carbon copy of the cheque you wrote as some sort of evidence you gave it to them in the first place (to make sure that they don't try to charge late fees in case they ever notice they didn't collect your money).

In other words, they can decide any day to cash that cheque, or ask for a new one. Best to keep the money in your account. I bounced a cheque by mistake one time and it wasn't fun. There were no real consequences beyond a 25$ fee, but I felt like a complete deadbeat when I had to explain it.
    04-06-04 Killdozer NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

KrazyHorse
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    I'd wait and keep the money in your account for at least another 3 months. I wouldn't totally forget about it for another year or so.
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Flubber
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    02:04
    If they have not cashed the cheque, it is unlikely that their records will show that you have paid whatever it was the cheque was for. So the first question is whether or not youe account is in good standing since I hardly think you want to get terminated from university for non-payment of tuition or whatnot.

If your account is in bad standing, you need to clear things up and pay.

If things are all in good standing then it appears you are the beneficiary of a bank/ administrative error in your favor and your response could depend on your personal ethics. Its like the ethical questions "assuming you would never get caught, would you do x or y?".

I don't plan to dictate to you on ethics . . . On a practical level, I would think that any modern accounting system will find the discrepency sooner or later
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

KrazyHorse
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    I don't know about that. I got a double paycheque a few years back...
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Ultima Ratio Regum

KrazyHorse
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Also, if his account reads as owing money then I'm sure they'll send him some kind of warning whenever they notice. If they do that he can walk in and tell them that they got the cheque 3 months ago, then write them another one right there.

They won't just expel him without warning.
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Ultima Ratio Regum

snoopy369
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    My suggestion is B, keep the money, for at least six months; I honestly suggest that A is not a bad idea, and if you go with B, I'd keep it for a year or more.

KH is correct about the six month rule, and some banks have a more strict rule in fact [for cashing a check at their bank, not for a check drawn on their bank]; but from having worked at a bank before, I can tell you that it's all up to the individual teller. The teller accepts the check and deposits it; and is generally the (only) person who would vet the date of the check. If the teller isn't paying attention, or just doesn't feel like doing the paperwork, he/she might very well accept the check, at which point ... it will almost certainly be accepted by your bank (electronic fund transfer and such) and you'll not have much of an argument against it if it bounces or such.

The university probably deposits a few dozen or hundred checks at once, anyway, and the teller accepting the deposits is probably not looking at individual dates; you're lucky if they look at individual AMOUNTS and don't just trust the Uni's deposit slip. I've deposited checks with all sorts of problems (not as a teller but as a retailer) and never had a complaint.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Kropotkin
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    09:04
    Cheques is just so 1980s.
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Schopenhauer
    In GAIS we trust!

snoopy369
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by KrazyHorse
    Also, if his account reads as owing money then I'm sure they'll send him some kind of warning whenever they notice. If they do that he can walk in and tell them that they got the cheque 3 months ago, then write them another one right there.

They won't just expel him without warning.
    Probably not, but there's a reasonable chance they might not accept his copied check as proof he paid (he might have made a check but not given it to them, for example). Often they consider it your responsibility to make sure your payment was accepted. Certainly they'll warn you, but you may have late fees that they may not waive.

I definitely suggest at least checking to see if they consider the payment accepted.

KrazyHorse
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    I've never had a late fee not blatantly my fault which I couldn't talk my way out of, and I've had several which were blatantly my fault which I still managed to talk my way out of. Given that this is a university, I'm going to guess that they aren't out to **** Boris.
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Ultima Ratio Regum

KrazyHorse
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Hah. When I posted that the quote which popped up was:

Overdrawn? But I still have checks left!

Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Arrian
    Country
    This is Arrian's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    I'd wait a while more, and eventually I'd contact them and ask them to please cash the darned thing. I hate it when I write somebody a check and they take forever to cash it.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Dauphin
    Country
    This is Dauphin's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    10:04
    Originally posted by snoopy369
    The university probably deposits a few dozen or hundred checks at once, anyway, and the teller accepting the deposits is probably not looking at individual dates; you're lucky if they look at individual AMOUNTS and don't just trust the Uni's deposit slip. I've deposited checks with all sorts of problems (not as a teller but as a retailer) and never had a complaint.
    I have witnessed mail containing cheques remitted being delivered to a wrong address and subsequently cashed. The company who cashed them were a reputable business, they just had a system of cashing all cheques on the day they were received and only later realised the payments were not intended for them, rather a company that shared the office building. Accounts receivable didn't care, cashier obviously didn't notice.
    Capitalisation - The difference between helping your uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse
    Grammar - The difference between knowing your $hit, and knowing you're $hit.
    Spelling - The difference between being literate, and being Dinner.

SlowwHand
    Country
    This is SlowwHand's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Save it and let in draw what interest it will draw.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Spiffor
    Country
    This is Spiffor's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    10:04

Re: Uncashed cheque - what should I do?

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
    The university still hasn't cashed in the €420 cheque I gave them three months ago.
    Typical. Save the money.
    Spend it on booze only in 9 months, in case they still haven't cashed it in.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Oncle Boris
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    You guys are more reasonable than I had thought.

Spec
    Emperor
    Country
    This is Spec's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    08:04
    Concerning banks and such, only listen to me, atleast, I know what I am talking about.

Just wait another 3 months! A check is only good for 6 months, after that, they cant cash it and the money is yours!

Trust me, I know.

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Oncle Boris
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Of course. The problem is that I still owe them the money, don't I?

KrazyHorse
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Yes, actually.

There's a limit on that too, but it's much longer, as I said. 2 years in NA IIRC
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Spec
    Emperor
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by Oncle Boris
    Of course. The problem is that I still owe them the money, don't I?
    Yes, but it is unlikely that they will ask for it after 6 months. Its a long process! If they didn't pass it already, its most likely lost...as usuall when this happens. Worst case scenario, they find out in you r next semester that you have an unpaid fee. It should go as follows:

-Sir, we need a check for you last semester
    -Yes, I gave you a check.
    -Ummmm no, (because it is mostlikely lost).
    -Well, I am 100% positive I gave it to you.
    -Can you prove it?
    -Sure, but I will have to ask the bank to make a research, and usually, it is around 5$ per day searched to search my account. I gave the check to you in late september, early october, not sure, and you may have cashed it up to late november. So, if you want proof, I will have to make my bank make a search in my account for those 3 months, and its 5$ a day, so it comes close to 400$ (85 days times 5$). And I am positive I gave you the check. So I can make a reseach, buit if I am right, you will give me back my 400$ of reseaching fees since it was your mistake.
    -Ummmm, I will have to call you back on that
    -Yes, you probably should

And they will most surely abandon your case and mark it as paid since they dont want to take the chance to give you back 400$

If it backfires i your face and they say ''ok'', then you dont make a research act as if you did and tell them you know they have the check and did not cash it because you found the stub in your check book. If they dont find it, you write them another one, minus the fees for a stop payment for the lost check so they dont cash it. But of course you dont make a stop payment because the 6 month delay has passed and they dont have the right to pass the check.

But I really doubt it will backfire, that's what we recommended people to do. Bureaucracy is fun to play with.

Spec.
    Last edited by Spec; January 12, 2007 at 09:55.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

rah
    Country
    This is rah's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    I agree with those that say there's a 6 month rule but you can't count on it. I've had many checks cleared after 6 months. There are so many automated processes that don't check the date.
    "If black people robbed you, I'd not consider it prejudice for you to be angry at black people in general" - Ben Kenobi
    Lessons in Christianity.
    Baron O RIP.

Spec
    Emperor
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by rah
    I agree with those that say there's a 6 month rule but you can't count on it. I've had many checks cleared after 6 months. There are so many automated processes that don't check the date.
    If it does, its illegal. Both financial institutions are liable. The one that accepted the check, and your bank, because it allowed it to go threw even though the 6 months delay was passed.

In that case, no matter if you owed the money or not, they have to give you back the money, and withdraw it from the other account. Cashing a check that passed the 6 months delay is the same thing as using fake money, Its illegal.

Spec.

Ming
    Country
    This is Ming's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    You should check on the status of your account. And no, I wouldn't say "You haven't cashed one of my checks yet, so I want to know why"... but instead say, that you are updating your records, and you were just checking to see if you had any outstanding liabilities

If they say yes, you still owe them money, tell them about the check. If they say your account is up to date, wait 3 more months and have a good laugh
    "If black people robbed you, I'd not consider it prejudice for you to be angry at black people in general" - Ben Kenobi
    Lessons in Christianity.

Keep on Civin'
    RIP Baron O

KrazyHorse
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Good solution.
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Spec
    Emperor
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by Ming
    You should check on the status of your account. And no, I wouldn't say "You haven't cashed one of my checks yet, so I want to know why"... but instead say, that you are updating your records, and you were just checking to see if you had any outstanding liabilities

If they say yes, you still owe them money, tell them about the check. If they say your account is up to date, wait 3 more months and have a good laugh
    I wouldn't do that, because that way, you make them check your file and open the door to let them find out.

I say wait, keep it low and do what I suggested.

Spec.

rah
    Country
    This is rah's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Spec, it may be illegal but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Most people don't ever complain about it since the check is usually a payment for a service or product which if not payed is still owed on. My buddy at the bank said this happens all the time and he had never heard of anyone ever making a fuss about it. (obviously that doesn't mean that it never happens, but more likely shows that it's rare)
    Lessons in Christianity.
    Baron O RIP.

Ming
    Country
    This is Ming's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by Spec

I wouldn't do that, because that way, you make them check your file and open the door to let them find out.

I say wait, keep it low and do what I suggested.

Spec.
    Unless you are graduating or leaving... they are going to check the file at some point. You might as well learn right now what THEY think the situation is. It will save problems later, and let you know where you stand.
    Lessons in Christianity.

Keep on Civin'
    RIP Baron O

Spec
    Emperor
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by Ming

Unless you are graduating or leaving... they are going to check the file at some point. You might as well learn right now what THEY think the situation is. It will save problems later, and let you know where you stand.
    Not if you do as I said in post #20 and scare them with research fees. I did it myself with my Hydro bill 6 years ago. They cleared it for free 8 months after since they didn't want to pay for the research fees.
    When you propose to make a research, you show will to fix the situation, and to make it fair, you propose to pay if you are in the wrong, and they pay if they are wrong. Since they COULD bewrong, they'd rather drop the charges instead of paying the fees. They also add man hours on the situation, which end up being very costly for them in the long run.

Thats why they usually write it off.

Spec.

Spec
    Emperor
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by rah
    Spec, it may be illegal but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Most people don't ever complain about it since the check is usually a payment for a service or product which if not payed is still owed on. My buddy at the bank said this happens all the time and he had never heard of anyone ever making a fuss about it. (obviously that doesn't mean that it never happens, but more likely shows that it's rare)
    Trust me, if someone passes a check 6 months after I gave it to them, I will be the first one to call the bank to give them shlt. Otherwise, why the hell is there a 6 month time limit if no one has to respect it?!

Spec.

Jon Miller
    Thanks
    Local Date
    November 24, 2014
    Local Time
    But see, universities dont' really care much about time. So they are more likely to say... OK, cancel that one and write us another one.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast