10 Unbreakable Sports Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, -Jrabbit, you could be right, the record may not be "unbreakable."

But amateur bouts are different from pro. They're only 3 rounds; pro will start at 4 and go up as the fighter gains experience. (Max 12 for a championship bout, though in Marciano's day it was 15.) There's no headgear in pro, so - especially for heavyweights - you could face a guy with power who gets in that one punch.

Someone who's going to be a "contender" will probably outclass many of the amateurs he faces, so will compile an even more lopsided record, so that's not necessarily an indication of how many pro wins he'll have.

A contender will also eventually want a shot at the title, so there will come a point when he's going to face more serious competition. I think the competitive spirit will not allow him to keep on facing scrubs. If his manager won't get him more serious bouts, he can always switch managers. (Of course one's record may depend on the level of contemporary talent: Ali had serious competition in Frazier, Norton, Foreman; Tyson didn't have that same level - but he lost focus as a champion, took Buster Douglass too lightly and got knocked out.)

And as I said, defending one's belt seems to be at a rate of less than once a year nowadays.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
      yeah, plus they will probably get better drug testing standards making it harder for someone to dominate the "sport" the way Lance did
      You can choose your reasons and I can choose mine, but I don't think the record will ever be touched
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

And as I said, defending one's belt seems to be at a rate of less than once a year nowadays.
        One of the reasons this record will fall.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit

One of the reasons this record will fall.
          How so? If you're fighting less often, it's harder to have a higher win total. Plus there's more time where you can get distracted and more out of fighting shape, so you lose a fight you probably shouldn't have.
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.

Comment

You get your wins on the way to the title, then minimize opportunities to lose once you have it. Try to keep up.
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Actually, by fighting less often, I think you actually increase your opportunity to lose, because you accumulate more rust (and possibly extra weight) livin' large, and you lose that hunger you had on the way to the top. And I doubt someone's going to be 40-0 before they get serious. YOU try to keep up.

Comment

Who said anything about title defenses? 49 wins, no losses or ties, and retire as undefeated heavyweight champion.

10. Rocky Marciano's 49-0
                Marciano began his professional career in 1947 by beating Lee Epperson, and over the next eight years, he proceeded to defeat all 49 of his opponents — 43 by knockout. In doing so, Marciano became the first heavyweight to go undefeated throughout his entire career.

Marciano's record was challenged in 1985 by Larry Holmes, who got to 48-0 before losing to Michael Spinks.
                Personally, I could care less about boxing. But I'm confident that this record -- already approached several times by less-than-exceptional boxers -- is the most likely on this list to fall. It's just not as mathematically beyond the field as the others are. Plus, the sport is dirty, making the record a juicy target for promoters.

Like I said, we're going to disagree about this. Let's just admit you're wrong and move on.

Comment

W.G Grace - 54211 First Class Runs. doubt that will be beaten.

Comment

Originally posted by Frozzy
                    W.G Grace - 54211 First Class Runs. doubt that will be beaten.
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
                      Rice's record can be broken. Consider Torry Holt. He had 788 yards in his rookie year. Since then, he has had 9887 yards in seven years. He has only 12220 to go. If he stays at or nearly at the same level of production for another nine years, he can do it. It's not inconceivable.

If one out of Larry Fitzgerald, Torry Holt, or Chad Johnson ages gracefully like Rice, Tim Brown, or Marvin Harrison, there's a very good chance Rice's record gets broken.
                      Chad Johnson doing the sizzling bacon, yup that could be a record if he tried.

No I think Chad is a showman who will end up being more of a morale problem than his abilities could be exploited to loftier goals.

Not as bad a Terrell Owens though

Gramps
                      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

In my opinion, unless thing change radically, it will be the pitching records that can not/will not be broken.

Here's a few

Game Lost Career - Cy Young 316
                        ERA Career - Ed Walsh 1.82
                        Most Wins Season - Old Hoss Radborn 59
                        Most Wins Season (Modern) - Jack Chesboro 41
                        Most Wins 1 month - John Clarkson 15
                        Most Wins 1 month (Modern) - Rube Wadell 10

Actually there are lot more for pitchers. The game has changed so much as far as pitching that they never will be touched.

Here's one more to ponder:

Most wins as a rookie: Al Spalding 47

(And I thought Verlander had a good rookie season)

Comment

Working...
                        X