No announcement yet.

10 Unbreakable Sports Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fernando Tatis's record of 2 Grand Slams in one inning. Someone may tie it, but it almost certainly will never be topped.
    I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

I thought my boy Paul Horning's single-season NFL points record was unbreakable. Lasted 46 years.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff
        Fernando Tatis's record of 2 Grand Slams in one inning. Someone may tie it, but it almost certainly will never be topped.
        however, off the same pitcher, Chan Ho, never will happen again.

Comment

What about 7 gold medals in a single Olympic Games?

Mark Spitz, USA swimming, 1972

American football
          Single Season Passing - Dan Marino, 5084yds, 1984
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            Tony Dorsett's 99 yard TD run is impossible to break.
            One thing we can be absolutely sure of
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Same with the 98-yd punt by Steve O'Neal in 1969.
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.

Comment

Are you kidding, that record can be broken by 11 yards.

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Rice's record can be broken. Consider Torry Holt. He had 788 yards in his rookie year. Since then, he has had 9887 yards in seven years. He has only 12220 to go. If he stays at or nearly at the same level of production for another nine years, he can do it. It's not inconceivable.

If one out of Larry Fitzgerald, Torry Holt, or Chad Johnson ages gracefully like Rice, Tim Brown, or Marvin Harrison, there's a very good chance Rice's record gets broken.
                  "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Word.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                      Rocky Marciano's record could easily fall. With all the crap heavyweights out there, boxing is primed to be dominated. Plus, the sport has no integrity. And 49 just doesn't seem like like that big a number.
                      I disagree about that. If a fighter gets to be at the top, nowadays they don't fight more than once a year it seems, and maybe it's even less often, so how is a fighter to compile that many wins?

And be undefeated?

Comment

Yep, there doesn't seem to be that many fights nowadays to be able to set such a record.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Top current heavyweight Vladimir Klitschko is 47-3-0. How far is that from 50-0?
                          Not very.

Look, I'm no boxing fan. But experienced heavyweights regularly have more than 50 career bouts. They don't cut back their schedule until they've got something to lose. But they fight lots of tomato cans to build up their record on the way up.
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I need to correct/clarify myself. And the Marciano record, which is 49 consecutive victories to begin a pro boxing career. (It also happened to be his whole career.) As a total number of wins, maybe it's not so much, but consecutively at the beginning is something else. (Not sure if there's a different consecutive win record for any part of a pro career.)

Yes, there are a lot of scrubs on the way to championship contention. But eventually you get there, if you've got the stuff. And then you have real fights. Larry Holmes got to 48 and lost. Klitschko, if I'm reading his website correctly, only got to 24 before losing.

Maybe there are more frequent fights outside the USA. It seems to me that in the USA boxers at the top don't fight as frequently as they used to compared to a few decades ago.

At any rate, I think it's nearly impossible to get to 50 wins at the start of a pro boxing career. Once you're the champion, with all the money you've got at that point (especially for a heavyweight, where the big money is), it's hard to keep focus and defend your title time and time again.

Comment

OK, we're just gonna disagree on this one, LordA. I really think that, compared to the other records listed, this is easily the most beatable. BTW, did you know Marciano lost 3 times as an amateur?

Why is it "nearly impossible" to win 49 straight to start a career? These guys can schedule whoever they want!! There are plenty of examples.

--Sugar Ray Robinson was 85-0 before he went pro.
                              --Willie Pep, a lightweight (and contemporary of Marciano) was 63-0 before he finally lost.
                              --Welterwight Julio Cesar Chavez we 88-0 before he had a draw.
                              --Larry Holmes was nothing special and got within one fight.

I'm sure Marciano fought his share of losers on his way up. Not to diss the original Rocky, but I just don't think this record is nearly as impressive as the others. It wil fall for sure IMHO.

Comment

I should also point out that, after winning the title in 1952, Marciano basically fought one title defense a year.

Comment

Working...
                                X