Editor Can't Find Art Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editor Can't Find Art Files

I just received Civ3 Complete for Christmas. I previously owned Civ3 Vanilla, so I figured it was safest to uninstall Civ3 before installing Complete. I did so, and also deleted all remnant files like saved games and such.

I then proceeded to install Civ3 Complete. The installation seemed to complete correctly, but upon trying to start the game I immediately ran into two different and apparently unrelated errors.

Firstly, if I tried to start the game itself, I got the Font error known as "Error Code 28." With the help of these forums, I seem to have solved it, as I no longer get the error and am able to load and play the game properly.

The second problem, however, I have been totally unable to find an answer for, despite spending literally over four hours searching here, reinstalling, etc.

The Editor seems to be looking in the wrong place for certain files. If I try to start the editor I get several dozen errors telling me it couldn't find this or that file. They all seem to be art files, judging by the fact that their paths all begin "Art\".

After clicking "OK" for each of these dozens of error boxes, the editor DOES load, but it loads a black screen. I am unable to use the map editor at all, though it looks as though I can still edit the rules. I tested that by making some changes to the rules and saving it as a test, and then loading the test file when starting a new game. All seemed normal there. But I can't edit any maps.

This affects both the editor version in the Conquests folder (which is of course the one that the Start Menu shortcut links to) and also the one in the PTW folder. It does not, however, seem to affect the "Vanilla" editor contained in the main install folder. But that doesn't help me since I want to make custom edits for a Conquests game, not a vanilla one.

At first I thought perhaps the problem had something to do with the fact that I installed the game into a folder other than the default path. I'd never had a problem picking my own install folders before, but I thought perhaps Civ3 Complete was quirky. So I uninstalled it, and then reinstalled, letting it use the default install directory. No luck, same error. The Editor still can't find a bunch of art files.

Has anyone had/heard of an error like this before? Does anyone have any idea on how I may be able to fix it? Any assistance you can provide would be very much appreciated.

Does no one have any ideas for solving this? I've looked elsewhere online but still can't get any answers.

Comment

I have no idea how to solve your technical problems. And under normal circumstances, I don't recommend that people go look at other websites, but since nobody here as answered your question, you might try posting it in the Civ 3 Tech Support Forum at www.civfanatics.com. As much as I like 'Poly, the Civ 3 forum at CFC is considerably more active. You might get a hit there. You'll have to register to post, but it's free.

Good luck solving your problem. Wish I could be more help.

Comment

Working...
      X