Medicine and Genetics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medicine and Genetics

It seems strange to me that Medicine is not a prerequisite for Genetics and in the vast majority of my games to go to the industrial and modern ages, it's left unobtained until there's nothing else to get.

Why bother getting Medicine to build Hospitals when you're not far off from Genetics which gives you +3 Health to each city outright? Even though Environmentalism was moved down to Medicine, that still doesn't make it attractive enough.

I would propose something like making Medicine give +1 Health and Genetics +2, and/or making Medicine a prerequisite for Genetics.

Medicine's mostly useful for the Red Cross, anyway.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

The game Im playing now, I skipped Medicine, the race against the AI is too close to get non-essential techs. Plus I noticed in my previous game the AI were skipping Medicine too, maybe theyre on to something...

I agree with the OP.

Comment

I almost always skip medicine.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Medicine just seems oddly neglected in the scheme of things for something that was relatively important in maintaining health of people in huge settlements.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
            I almost always skip medicine.

-Arrian

Comment

Hospital isn't really that great, which is why Hospital is negliceted. By that time Health and Happiness are mostly under controll for all except the largest cities. Hospital really need another use. They could add faster healing for military units, and a happiness too (you'd probabally be upset if all your family was dieing).

Comment

Medicine = environmentalism = +6 health. Not always useful, but can allow some cities to grow a hell of a lot larger. And Also, Genetics is a late tech, whereas you can get medicine really easily on a beeline from sci method.
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

How often do people use Environmentalism? I've never used it, through maybe 50 games that have made it that far.

Comment

Originally posted by Qwertqwert
                    They could add faster healing for military units...
                    They already do

Comment

I don't think I have ever used environmentalism, except that one time that the UN voted for it.
                      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I definitely agree that Medicine should be a pre-req for genetics. My guess is that Firaxis intended it to be, but it slipped by. I don't like dead-end techs unless they're really useful, and medicine really isn't. I often get it from the Internet, which I only built to prevent anyone else from getting.

Comment

[SIZE=1] Plus I noticed in my previous game the AI were skipping Medicine too, maybe theyre on to something...

I agree with the OP.
                          The fact that the AI skip it is what makes it good. If you research it you can then trade it to every civ and cash in.

Comment

I find the ai usually does research it though. Often they won't trade it to me. Even my vassals won't trade it to me. :madrant:

Comment

I skip UN

just a waste
                              anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Working...
                              X