• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEN NY Basketbrawl

Anyone see this last night?

Skip the first minute or so to get to the fight:

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Heard about it, saw vid on ESPN.com. WTF are Denver's starters doing on the floor at the end of a blowout?! And showboating on dunks?! Personally, I have no problem with the hard foul. You're trying to embarrass the Knicks on their own court, you deserve that. Take it like a man. You're winning the game, shoot your free throws, finish the game, go home.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

What a bunch of pussies.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

All the violence in professional sports, I believe it is because we the purchasing public have bankrolled a bunch of big headed boys who think they are untouchable.

Charles Barkley stated it best when he told someone in an interview that he did not want to be saddled with the responsibility of being an idol.

I think we allow to much leway when it comes to stars, athletes and politicians.

We should come down hard and fast and NOT with a slap on the wrist by a $10,000.00 fine.

Just my take, come hard and make a statement

Gramps
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

The problem with the NBA is if permit fighting a la hockey, the players don't know enough to keep it in the game. They gonna bust a cap on everyones asses after, etc.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            The problem with the NBA is if permit fighting a la hockey, the players don't know enough to keep it in the game. They gonna bust a cap on everyones asses after, etc.
            Is it cos they is black?
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

No longer available.

Btw. when have you taken up danish ? The title is danish for "The new Basketbrawl"
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Park Avenue
                Is it cos they is black?
                No, not all of them are black. It's all about the culture that surrounds basketball and basketball players.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                  No longer available.

Btw. when have you taken up danish ? The title is danish for "The new Basketbrawl"
                  As long as it isn't Finnish, I should be okay.

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

No, not all of them are black. It's all about the culture that surrounds basketball and basketball players.
                    Don't white basketball players 'act black'?

www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

What i find entertaining is that the coach for the nuggets is blamming the knicks coach claiming i didnt want to see my team blow a 10 pt lead with 4 minutes left in the game. but u got 175 secnds, less then a minute and a half and ur up 20 pts what are the odds ur gonna loose that game unless u stop playin which is what NY did, from what i got the 2nd stringers were n the game for ny, at that time and denver acted the fool.
                      When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                      "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                      Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

wish I could find a video of this...

Comment

trying to find a video, but I did find this cool brawl.

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

found one that the spoil sport NBA didn't request to be removed.

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Maybe the hockey is rubbing off on Sam Mitchell:

Mitchell: You call that a brawl?

Raps coach laughs off MSG slugfest:`We can't fight'

December 18, 2006
                              Dave Feschuk
                              Toronto Star

Asked for his thoughts on Saturday night's so-called brawl at Madison Square Garden, where 10 players were ejected from a Nuggets-Knicks game and the NBA's image took yet another slap in the face, Sam Mitchell, the Raptors coach, dared to speak the pull-no-punches truth about his NBA brethren.

"We can't fight. Understand something. We talk, but we can't fight," said Mitchell, 43, whose 13-year NBA playing career wrapped up in 2002. "Are we really calling (what happened in New York on Saturday) a fight?"

Indeed, though multiple suspensions and fines are expected to be handed down today, the fuss surrounding the fracas is mildly amusing. That's not to say the melee wasn't undeniably stupid for a lot of reasons. It was stupid because George Karl – obviously trying to run up the score against a hated rival – had his best players on the floor with a couple of minutes to play in a game Denver would win. It was especially stupid if Isiah Thomas told Denver's Carmelo Anthony, the NBA's leading scorer, not to go into the paint, a charge emanating from the Denver camp that, considering it was the expendable benchwarmer Mardy Collins whose flagrant foul on J.R. Smith got the whole thing started, is difficult to prove but hardly implausible.

Be sure that David Stern, obsessed as he is these days with keeping order in the court, will hand down harsh judgments. But let's face it: The Palace brawl was more beer shower than blood bath. Most NBA fights are more group hug than blood and guts.

And Saturday's event in New York, in Mitchell's view, was "more of a pushin', shovin', talkin', grabbin', holdin', hold-me-back-please thing ... rather than a fight. But the commissioner, he'll hit guys hard for it."

It wasn't always so. Kermit Washington threw a punch that nearly killed Rudy Tomjanovich on an infamous December night in 1977. The ensuing crackdown cleaned up a violent sport too often marred by fisticuffs. And ever since, as Mitchell was pointing out yesterday, the typical NBA tete-a-tete goes something like, "swing, swing, and everybody grabs you."

"You don't stand toe to toe and trade haymakers," said Mitchell. "It's kind of like, you duck, close your eyes, (throw) an overhead, wild right swing which (doesn't) connect to anything, or a kick as you're backing up."

There have been exceptions to that rule. Dr. J, Julius Erving, punched Larry Bird in the head to some effect in 1984. And 20 years later, an illustration in the limits of behaviourial science named Ron Artest overreacted to the threat posed by a lofted plastic cup and set off the Malice at the Palace, the player-on-fan disaster that scarred the league's image and has led to Stern's humourless dealings with matters of on-court decorum.

But even the league's most feared tough guys haven't exactly cracked heads. Charles Oakley, the former Raptor, once squared off with Xavier McDaniel in a well-remembered 1989 soft shoe, but the confrontation amounted to a slapfight followed by some wrestling. Shaquille O'Neal once threw a punch in anger at Brad Miller. And though O'Neal was standing two feet away, he missed by, say, three. Ditto Marcus Camby, whose 2001 right hook meant for Danny Ferry actually connected with the head of Camby's bystanding coach, Jeff Van Gundy, who famously grabbed the leg of Alonzo Mourning during another infamous NBA donnybrook between Mourning and Larry Johnson, wherein many punches were thrown and few landed.

When Rick Fox, the Canadian citizen who once played for the L.A. Lakers, chased Doug Christie into the bowels of a tense arena with intent to vent a few years back, Christie's infamous wife, Jackie, came to her husband's forever legendary aid. The hardest swing of the night was delivered with her purse.

Which brings us to Saturday, when some the grappling nearly spilled into the first row of seats and Anthony unleashed what some reports have referred to as a "haymaker." More accurately, it was an open-handed slap that, though it felled Collins, was made all the less impressive by Anthony's immediate and speedy retreat. That's not to say it was acceptable, only that it was, like almost every other NBA fight, futile, laughable, hardly cathartic – and as threatening to the well-being of the players and the fans as a T-shirt cannon.

"We can't fight," said Mitchell, repeating his thesis. "We can wrestle. But we've got a better chance of scratching each other than fighting each other where we actually (land) a punch. ... So why is it such a black eye when these guys lose their temper?"

"The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Working...
                              X