Basketballs: synthetic or leather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basketballs: synthetic or leather?

okay I haven't been paying much attention to the NBA. It lost it's charm in the late 90's (not that it ever had much). But the ball controversy is kind of interesting. I'm not sure if I ever handled a synthetic ball (no jokes please). I can't really say what the difference is. Leather seems more traditional, but if european leagues and international competitions are using synthetics, it may be a disadvantage to us in world competitions.

NBA commissioner David Stern, in a stunning reversal, has decided to shelve the new microfiber composite basketball after just a few months of use and switch back to the old leather model for all games starting Jan. 1.
    leather
    55.56%
    synthetic
    33.33%
    who cares- as long as it is banana colored
    11.11%

Leather. Europe? Europe doesn't count for much.
    Let them make their soccer balls synthetic.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Apparently the synthetics are hard to grip when covered in sweat. And they get covered in sweat a lot.

I say, if it ain't broke, don't break it.

Leather
      "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
      ^ The Poly equivalent of:
      "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Apparently the synthetics are hard to grip when covered in sweat. And they get covered in sweat a lot.
        Oh, the horror. The shooting percentages are up with the new ball.

I really don't care, but the way they've handled the ball change looks disorganized, amateurish. Little input and they should have at least went a whole season.
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

I also heard about the microfiber composite being too grippy when dry, as some players were getting cuts on their fingertips. Also the bounces off the rim and backboard were different.

The NBA is a star-driven league. When your stars are complaining about the new ball, and then getting injured by it, it's bad.
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Re: Basketballs: synthetic or leather?

Originally posted by Dis
            okay I haven't been paying much attention to the NBA

I vote for whichever option the college players like better.
            CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
            Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
            Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
            Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

Leather. Mmmmm, leather...

Shooting was, BTW, up all of about 1.3 percent. BFD.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

From concentrating more? That's all it could be.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Supposedly the synthetics are rounder, lacking the natural variation in density and thus providing a truer bounce.

It will be interesting to see what happens when they change back Jan. 1.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I heard the synthetics didn't bounce as much, so shots that wouldn't normally go in with leather, because they'd bounce too hard off the board, would die and drop in.
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Leather all the way baby!!
                      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
                      X