The List of Civilisations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The List of Civilisations

As much as I hate threads about which civs will be in and which out (so many arguments!) I know there'll be plenty who appreciate this.

http://www.zdnet.com/gamespot/storie...671-16,00.html

------------------
    - MKL
    "And of course Henry The Horse dances the waltz!"
    Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org
    - mkl

Also note that there are a total of 41 civs.

------------------
    - MKL
    - mkl

Comment

Looks pretty much the same as CTP1. I don't notice any changes....

Were Ethiopians/ Turkish in CTP1?

Comment

After a quick bo-peep, I believe the only change is that the Jamaicans have been changed to the Polish.

------------------
        - MKL
        - mkl

Comment

I don't want to insult nobody, but some nations in that list are a joke. This way they could include there 100 other nations.
          "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
          --George Bernard Shaw
          A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
          --Woody Allen

Comment

I don't see anything about naming your own civilisation in here either. Surely they wouldn't leave that out. It would take no effort.

------------------
            - MKL
            - mkl

Comment

from the scenario screen shots it seems you can custumize your own civ... but i'm not sure

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MidKnight Lament on 10-27-2000 06:39 AM
                I don't see anything about naming your own civilisation in here either. Surely they wouldn't leave that out. It would take no effort.
                it would also take little effort to add your own in the text file, as many did with ctp1....

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Stratesford on 10-27-2000 01:26 PM
                  from the scenario screen shots it seems you can custumize your own civ... but i'm not sure

I'm sure, yes you can name your countries in scenarios. I'm afraid you can not during normal gameplay though.

Pyaray

Comment

I am among those who think that the inclusion of Jamaica, Cuba, Nicaragua, Nigeria and Ethiopia was done out of political correctness.

I think that there should be a narrow list of ancient civs to choose from, from which others will spring over time due to migration and "civil war". The ancient list might include Chinese, Indians, Egyptians, Babylonians, Persians, Hebrews, Greeks, Celts, Turks, Scandinavians, Slavs, Mayans, Incans and any others that were not an offshoot. In the same way that Celtic Europe was taken by Slavs, Scandinavian Germanic peoples, and Mediterranean peoples originating from the Greeks. In fact, this might be the best way for those who want to try over various times in history to assert a new national independence. Of course, I also think that if you get defeated in a war you should be able to take control of the conquering nation, but you could only reassert independence for a previous nation with cities that they controlled at one time.

However, I think you should have the option of making a new civ out of cities you choose from your first one, and calling it what you want, but perhaps starting at war with what remains of your former civ. I think it would be fun to start in the Ancient World as Scandinavians, then become Germans during the Classical Age, and then French or English during the Dark Ages. Or start as Greek in Ancient World, then become Romans during Classical Age, and ultimately Italians by the Renaissance Era.

In this way you could customize your own game to suit a historical development of your desired final civ, by managing crucial divisions from previous civs.

Comment

Have you ever been in something called a history class?

The Romans came form the Etruscans not the Greeks, the Vikings came from the Teutons, but the germans came from the alemani, the burgundi and some of the gothic tribes and some Romans. The British originally came from the Romans and then they mixed with the Celts, Vikings, Germans and the French. The Slavs came from the Huns and the Vikings and then from the Turks and Byzantines (who came from the Romans and the Greeks).

I think this is correct...

Activision, why didn't you include the Byzantines? I consider them important why not make a last minute change and put them on their?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 10-27-2000 02:35 PMit would also take little effort to add your own in the text file, as many did with ctp1....

I don't think that's a good enough excuse for them. If someone from Activision said that, I'd call it a cop-out, and I believe I've been easier on Activision than a lot of people here.

As fantastic as Apolyton is, we're a very small part of the Civilization community, and most gamers don't go delving into text files.

You're right, if we have to then we'll change the files, but I don't think that's an excuse.

------------------
                        - MKL
                        - mkl

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by PRoy on 10-27-2000 11:15 PM
                          I am among those who think that the inclusion of Jamaica, Cuba, Nicaragua, Nigeria and Ethiopia was done out of political correctness.
                          i could be wrong, but i think some of them got in cause someone from the team was from there or just wanted it to

anyway, what i think is that the weight in activision is to make a game that plays good, not a game that a professor of history would play without geting angry with historical inaccuracies
                          (for example i have a cousin who is a teacher, and i can never convince her that playing with a random map at 4000bc with the americans is acceptable )

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by PRoy on 10-27-2000 11:15 PM

Just to clarfiy it, the Jamaicans didn't make it this time around. They're replaced by the Polish.

It might have as much to do with having civs spread across the land on an Earth map as anything else. Anyway, as long as people can change the names for scenarios, I'm not too concerned.

------------------
                            - MKL
                            Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org celebrates it's First Birthday today!!! All welcome.
                            - mkl

Comment

Austria still not included

Comment

Working...
                              X