Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feat of wonder: the discovery of gunpowder

http://www.zdnet.com/gamespot/images..._screen014.jpg

if you get gunpowder first, for the next 25 turns the city walls of other nations cities will be less effective against you

GRRREEATT!!!
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

That's pretty cool. I think I'm going to like Feats of Wonder. As long as they're not too powerful.

------------------
      - MKL
      "And of course Henry The Horse dances the waltz!"
      Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org
      - mkl

Comment

Hey, I just noticed that you now set what your advance goal is, and then it puts an asterisk beside everything you still need to get there. That's better than having to keep going to a separate screen every time to see it. Good work!

------------------
        - MKL
        Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org
        - mkl

Comment

url to the screenshot?

Comment

It's in the screenshot you posted, Mark.

------------------
            - MKL
            Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org celebrates it's First Birthday today!!! All welcome.
            - mkl

Comment

I can see that on some of the screenshots, it's no black places on the map, but the time is 3000-2000 BC.
              My conclusion is that it must have been used cheats (of course ), but could someone from Activision give me some hints of what theese cheats will do (other than this)? PLEASE!!

------------------
              Who am I? What am I? do we need Civ? YES!!
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Good Idea, but it would not really qualify as a feat of Wonder, would it ?

It's more like in Civ II when the first player to discover Philosophy had a free advance. A feat of Wonder is when somebody DOES something, being the first player to go around the world is a good example but in this case it's only a bonus associated with the tech.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Daniel Frappier on 10-28-2000 04:43 PM
                  and since when is there an accurate and strict defination of a "feat of Wonder"??????
                  come on.....

just remember how much a game changes when someone gets gunpowder in a game, not to talk about the "real life" importance of the discovery of gunpowder....

Comment

I think it's a good idea in theory, but 25 turns? That's a long time.

How about having an advantage until somebody else also acquires Gunpowder?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by lago on 10-28-2000 07:26 PM
                      remember that the game is now over 500 turns(or something around there) so it could not be that important. the good thing is that probably this can be changed easily if it turns out to be problematic...
                      quote:

How about having an advantage until somebody else also acquires Gunpowder?
                      that could be even more "dangerous". on easy levels the game could end with the discovery of gunpowder!

dont know... other thoughts?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by lago on 10-28-2000 07:26 PM

That's what I was thinking, but then I realised that they didn't actually define how much of an advantage you'd gain. It's a matter for play balance, I'd imagine.

------------------
                        - MKL
                        Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org celebrates it's First Birthday today!!! All welcome.
                        [This message has been edited by MidKnight Lament (edited October 28, 2000).]
                        - mkl

Comment

quote:

It's more like in Civ II when the first player to discover Philosophy had a free advance. A feat of Wonder is when somebody DOES something, being the first player to go around the world is a good example but in this case it's only a bonus associated with the tech.

In this case that SOMETHING would be the first to get gunpowder. I would like it if there were more "philosophy" techs that gave bonuses like in civ2.
                          Monkey I am proud to be!
                          Trim the sails and roam the sea!
                          Trim the sails and roam the sea!
                          ...Stefu

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MidKnight Lament on 10-28-2000 04:26 AM
                            It's in the screenshot you posted, Mark.
                            hehe, you're right!!!

just another of those small things that change your (civ) life...

Comment

Mark,

I did not wanted my remark to sound negative, what I wanted to know in fact was: Is it you that took the liberty of calling that gunpowder thing a feat of wonder or is it Activision ?

Just curiosity in any case it doesn't matter what the features is called.

Comment

Working...
                              X