Tipping Point: Office Politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tipping Point: Office Politics

SO here's the deal. Ive been working for a business solutions company for 5 months at a reinsurance company. I have been doing pretty well but I have some serious issues with the company

1. I applied for a position within the reinsurance company because I was being crosstrained on many of the duties and positions withing the company. I was then told that because of a non compete agreement (our business solutions offer similar services in relation to scanning), I would probably never be able to work there.

2. I have no room for advancement. We are the only team on the west coast, much less seattle for the busienss solutions contract. There is nowhere to go up to because of this, unless I trransfer to the east coast (which I am pondering) This zaps a lot of my motivation for working there. I also think that part of the problem is that I have no long term work objectives or duties with the company. My daily work is my only work and It pisses me off.

3. My bosses liason to the reinsurance company is MIA 90% of the time and doesn't actually do a lot of the work shes supposed to. It falls on the rest of the people around her. This leads into point #2 which is theres a disaster recovery planning project that she is supposed to be working on but hasnt even started because shes been on short term medical leave for 4 months. After she came back from that she took another 3 weeks off lying about the reasons she missed work.

Example 1. She said the power was out at her hour. I actually called the puget sound power company and gave them the address and they said there had nopt been an outage in more than 2 weeks.

Example 2. She said that she was snowed in on monday yet the city she lives in recieved no snow.

I have no idea why she is still able to work here other than somehow beign a slut to one of the execs (this has happened before)

Another issue is that one of my coworkers (the one im sleeping with) wants to do the project because she will recieve a raise. She told me not to go to her boss and offer to do the project (which would really be fun and show people I can do something besides sort mail etc etc). She already makes 10k more than me and wants a raise for what? ****!

4. I can not talk to my boss about anything Im feeling because he's a total tool for the reinsurance company. He wants so bad to be part of the corporate culture (as in all the other upper 20 somethings working in the production department) I dont feel like I have an advocate where I work, someone to help me with various issues Im having in the work place. This is making me want to leave more and more now. Our program supervisor is coming out next monday through wednesday and I want to talk to her about a lot of these issues.

5. I won a raffle for basketball tickets tonight but someone in production won also (2 sets of 2 tickets) and that person elected to take all 4. That is why I'm at tipping point.

So are there offices with integrity, where people work hard and actually help the bottom line? where how much youre worth is measured in how much you contribute? where personal friendships are not the measure of your worth?
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

shooting spree
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
      shooting spree
      NOT funny, Sava.

Comment

MRT -- While that non-complete clause probably won't legally stop a lower-ranked employee such as yourself from moving over, the other companies' probably going to look at the risk of a potential headache of future dispute and hire someone else.

You're guess about your boss sleeping with some higher up is probably correct. It's hard to believe that anyone can do that little work and not get into trouble. The problem facing you is that the department you're in will get the reputation of being a do-nothing department and that reputation will rub off on you.

Is there another department within the company into which you can transfer??

Comment

I would do one of two things:

1. Offer to do the project anyway.

2. Go east, young man.
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Time to find a new job

I think there are a number of places in Seattle that are hiring
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

theres no other department in seattle i can go into. as i said we are subcontracted to do mailroom and copying stuff. id haveto relocate or press canon business solutions to expand their business
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Is this the type of work you might free lance at off the clock, easing into your own business?
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I've heard far worse horror stories from my mother about her former boss vs. the teamsters. Buck up. Or quit and seek a career change, if your sanity and life expectancy is at stake.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    Is this the type of work you might free lance at off the clock, easing into your own business?
                    i dont really know what you mean although one of my dream jobs would be to become a personel consultant and help businesses find strong people and weak people in their company and advise on what to do.

i think one of the hardest things that i have to deal with is ny desire to make the company succesful. i want to do well and have the people around me work equally hard as i do. but im in such a lowly position that its hard to have a bottom up impact.

i am now looking for other jobs and will pitch the idea of a transfer to another department to the regional supervisor when she comes out next week.im going to talk to my boss about this tomorrow and see what he thinks and go from there.

its hard for me to leave bcause im making more money than i have before, have good benefits and am working towards some goals while im there. i want to work with them before just giving up.

Comment

You could do that. More people recognize blue collar work when it comes to "learning the trade". A plumber, electrician, whatever trains with a company; then many realize they could do their own company.

YOu could do the same in white collar. Start "moonlighting". in any capacity that becomes available and fits your game plan. Over time, how much no one knows since it depends on you and circumstances, the moonlighting takes over all your time, and you're on your own.

Something to think about anyway.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

NOT funny, Sava.
                        Sure it is. Didn"t you see Fight Club?

Plus, if MRT goes postal, I"m sure his presence on the forums would be part of the news story. Maybe we could even be blamed for pushing him over the edge.

That"s better than the whole "video games make people kill" excuse. Now it could be "forums make people kill".
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Moreover, we might not have egged him on if the post-count would still have been disabled. Therefore it would have been "post-counts make people kill".
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

When you hit the big time is if you're a veteran, that smokes weed. Oh, mama. Headlines city.
                            He's looney. The war drove him to pot and the pot put him over the edge.
                            Shot the next door neighbor college cheerleader and raped her dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™
                              Moreover, we might not have egged him on if the post-count would still have been disabled. Therefore it would have been "post-counts make people kill".
                              QFT

the new regime could be held responsible for this
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X