Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only seven people made picks this week. I assume one cannot make one's picks after the gametime Thursdays.

It looks like Thursday night football has got people confused.
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Holy crap, Seattle lost to AZ, then SF, which also meant SF won BOTH games this season?!?!
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• I posted to look. I guess I could have sent email.

Gore is good. Been gaing momentum ever since he got the chance. Smith is learning.
        Next draft will be good for them.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• No. 8: The Detroit Lions. Ready. Set. Go.

Every time anyone ever mentions Lions GM Matt Millen, what's the first thing you hear come out of their mouth? Oh, what a great guy. Matt's such a man's man. Matt was such a selfless leader as a player. He's so loyal. Blah. Blah. Blah. Give me a break. Matt Millen is 23-70 as a GM. He's actually legally blind in his eye for talent. I mean, the people he hires can't even dress themselves. If the Lions were to blow everything up today and start over, Millen has them so far behind, it would take four years starting from right now to fix the team. So if Matt Millen is the kind of great, quality, super, first-class dude everyone says he is, why won't he do the honorable thing and let poor William Clay Ford off the hook and resign? Is he a devout coward? I swear, Lions fans, if Millen isn't gone by Week 16, there better not be more than 100 people in the stands when the Lions lose 87-0 to the Bears on Christmas Eve at Ford Field.

There's a lot going on right now, so David Fleming tackles the big topics, from the red-hot Bengals to Vince Young to the Lions to the Cowboys' new stadium.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit
            Lamar Hunt was a gambler and a reprobate. He and his brothers Herbert and Bunker inherited a multibillion dollar fortune from their father, legendary oil wildcatter H.L. Hunt. They are most remembered in business circles for their ill-fated attempt to corner the silver market in the early early 70s, a selfishly greedy slap at the futures market rules that (when it failed) nearly lost the family its entire fortune.

Hunt desperately wanted an NFL franchise, and when he was refused, he went out and started the AFL. It was largely Hunt's money that funded a lot of the talent bidding when the two leagues were in competition in the 1960s. By propping up the fledgling league, he managed to make it competitive enough to beat the NFL in Super Bowl III, which he successfully leveraged into negotiating a merger of the leagues, creating the modern NFL we have today. And that got him his original wish of having an NFL franchise. Oh yeah, he coined the term "Super Bowl" too.

Lamar Hunt did a lot of good for professional football, but that should not be confused with him being a great man. It was really just a by-product of having the resources to ensure that everything would eventually go his way. IMHO he was just another self-absorbed rich guy who thought the rules didn't apply to him, dabbling in sports.

RIP.
            He tried to corner the silver market in 1979-80.

He is in 3 sports halls of fame and 5 other halls of fame.

If it wasn't for him, you wouldn't have Da Bulls.

RIP L.H.

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
              Only seven people made picks this week. I assume one cannot make one's picks after the gametime Thursdays.

It looks like Thursday night football has got people confused.
              I made my picks with about 2 minutes to spare.

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Talk about being stupid...

POLICE RAID HOUSE OF BEARS' TANK JOHNSON'S
                Tackle facing 6 gun charges

2 assault-style rifles seized; Smith unhappy with `distraction'

By Susan Kuczka, Courtney Flynn and John Mullin, Tribune staff reporters. Tribune staff reporter David Haugh contributed
                Published December 15, 2006

A cache of unregistered guns and assault rifles--some loaded--was found Thursday inside the home of Bears defensive tackle Terry "Tank" Johnson when Gurnee police raided his house while he was at Halas Hall preparing for Sunday's Tampa Bay game.

The news sent shock waves through Halas Hall, where coach Lovie Smith worried if it would be a distraction to the team's bid for a Super Bowl championship.

Johnson cannot be suspended by the team under the labor agreement, and punishment by the league--a fine and/or a suspension--likely would come only after a conviction, according to an NFL spokesman. But Smith could withhold playing time or make Johnson inactive if he believes it is necessary.

"I'm not going to discipline a guy until I find out what I'm supposed to be disciplining him for," Smith said Thursday.

Attempts to reach Johnson and his agent, Bill Heck, were unsuccessful.

Lake County authorities charged Johnson, 25, with six misdemeanor counts of unlawful possession of a weapon without a Firearm Owner's Identification card. The weapons seized during the raid included a .44 magnum Smith & Wesson revolver, a .50 caliber Desert Eagle handgun, a .45 caliber handgun, a .308 caliber Winchester rifle and two assault-style rifles--a Colt AR-15 and a .223 caliber.

The raid also resulted in the arrest of another man who was living in Johnson's home. Willie B. Posey, 26, was charged with felony possession of marijuana after police found more than 2 ounces of the illegal substance during the raid, authorities said. Posey is being held pending a bond hearing Friday.

Police said the raid was the result of an investigation that began Nov. 4 but declined to elaborate on what triggered the inquiry. Johnson's 25-year-old girlfriend and the couple's two children, ages 3 and 20 months, were at home during the raid, where some of the guns were in plain sight and "a lot" of ammunition was found, police said.

"As far as children being in danger . . . there were loaded weapons and some of them were accessible in the home," Gurnee Police Chief Robert Jones said. "So I think you could draw a conclusion there that yes, they were probably in danger."

If convicted of the charges, Johnson would face a fine. However, the charges could result in the revocation of his probation on a previous gun charge, authorities said.

Thursday's arrest was Johnson's third since the Bears picked him in the second round of the 2004 NFL draft out of the University of Washington.

Johnson posted a $100 bond, which was 10 percent of his $1,000 bond, Thursday night at the Gurnee Police Department after leaving team practice without commenting on the charges. He is scheduled to appear in court Jan. 9--only days before the Bears will play their first NFC playoff game at Soldier Field.

"Tank's really a good guy and he has worked so hard to do the right things," middle linebacker Brian Urlacher said. " . . . We'd really miss him if this ends up somehow in him being out. But the main thing is I just want him to be OK."

Smith expressed disappointment with what he called a "distraction" for his team as it prepares for Sunday's game at Soldier Field.

"I'm disappointed, of course, that something like this is coming up," Smith said. "We're constantly talking to our players about doing the right thing, and our players do the right thing most of the time."

The Bears already are without one starting defensive tackle because of Tommie Harris' ruptured hamstring that sent him to injured reserve for the remainder of the season. Johnson has 20 tackles and 3 1/2 sacks this season.

What, if anything, the NFL may do in the Johnson situation remains to be seen. The league suspended cornerback Ricky Manning Jr. for the Nov. 26 game at New England because of a no-contest plea in a felony assault case, but the suspension came months after the incident.

The NFL typically waits until some resolution is reached in legal proceedings and discipline on the matter could stretch into next season.

"This will be reviewed under the terms of the personal-conduct policy . . . all the facts are relevant including a player's prior history," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said.

According to the language in the league's personal-conduct policy, Aiello explained the NFL is unlikely to suspend Johnson unless he is convicted.

Gurnee police and officers from the Northern Illinois Police Alarm System descended on the home about 11 a.m. with shields and armored vehicles, alarming neighbors, some of whom police had asked to evacuate the neighborhood.

An explosion was heard, rattling neighbors' homes, which police said was used as a diversionary tactic because of the threat of weapons being used during the raid.

"We knew there were weapons in the house . . . we also knew there were more than likely people in the house so we did not know what we would encounter," Jones said. "The officers took the necessary precautions for their safety and the safety of the neighborhood."

Johnson's previous skirmishes with the law appeared to have been resolved in March, when prosecutors dropped battery and resisting arrest charges.

Those charges had been filed against Johnson in February, when a police officer who scuffled with Johnson outside a Rush Street nightclub refused to proceed with the case, authorities said.

Johnson's February arrest also led to violation of probation charges being filed against him. He had been placed on 18 months' probation in November 2005 after he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor unlawful gun possession charge in Cook County, authorities said.

The violation of probation charges also were dismissed when the battery case was dropped, although new charges could be filed against Johnson because of his latest arrest, prosecutors said.
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Yeah, but I'll bet he could stop LT...
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    the Lions lose 87-0 to the Bears on Christmas Eve

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• about Tank Johnson...

in Illinois, you don't register guns... you just get a firearms license.

Notice the media reports didn't specify whether or not the "assault-style" rifles were automatic. Semi-automatic assault rifles are legal.

Also, Tank Johnson has a license to carry a concealed weapon in Texas, IIRC. If that's the case, he doesn't need an Illinois firearms license to possess weapons because he still has Texas residency.

It's not like he was about to go postal. I find it odd that the media is making him out to be this Grand Theft Auto bad guy here. So he had six guns. Big deal. Six guns and marijuana... ZOMFG. What is so bad about that? Can someone explain this to me? The gun charges will probably be dropped. And they aren't even felonies. He will probably just get extended probation for the marijuana possession.

And possessing marijuana is stupid for him. He's an NFL player and on probation. He should know better to put himself in that position. But even so, it's ridiculous that something like that is a crime.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• I don't think he's going to be charged on the pot issue.
                        His buddy living with him gets that one from what I read.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• He was on probation on a weapons charge.
                          Monumentally stupid.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• It looks like someone in law enforcement really has a stick up his A about Tank.

But he does seem to have a few marbles loose. Probably adds to his ferocity on the field.
                            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
                              It looks like someone in law enforcement really has a stick up his A about Tank.
                              Move along... nothing to see here...
                              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Working...
                                X