This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QFT, Sava.

But, for instance, Dis is not saying the Bears suck. He just thinks Bears fans are insufferable. Kinda like the way I feel about Notre Dame fans, Cowboys fans and Yankees fans. And St. Louis Cardinals fans. Oh, and... well, you get the point.

But hey, it's not our fault that Chicago fans dominate this thread.
    Oh wait, yes it is...
    Last edited by -Jrabbit; December 13, 2006, 20:27.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt dies
      6 minutes ago

DALLAS -
      Kansas City Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt has died.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Dallas fans?
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand
          Dallas fans?
          Yep, Dallas fans... the insufferable lot of you .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• RIP Lamar
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Lamar Hunt was a good man. He was the main catalyst for giving pro football to the smaller markets as well.

Comment

• Check your picks and rosters. Game tonight.

Comment

• Have you seen the Seattle weather? Maybe OK by gametime, but an hour ago the field was basically underwater. Literally.
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Let's take the 49ers as a real good for instance.

You're coaching them. Do you really want to win this, and as many as posiible, at this point?
                    Detroit. Oakland. Arizona, they all are assured of Top 3 picks.
                    49ers are not assured of anything but a crap season.

I'd start resting the 1st squad as much as a team does in the last of the season, when they're assured of a playoff homefield.

Comment

Lamar Hunt was a good man. He was the main catalyst for giving pro football to the smaller markets as well.
                      His brother Mike was a good guy too.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Lamar Hunt was a gambler and a reprobate. He and his brothers Herbert and Bunker inherited a multibillion dollar fortune from their father, legendary oil wildcatter H.L. Hunt. They are most remembered in business circles for their ill-fated attempt to corner the silver market in the early early 70s, a selfishly greedy slap at the futures market rules that (when it failed) nearly lost the family its entire fortune.

Hunt desperately wanted an NFL franchise, and when he was refused, he went out and started the AFL. It was largely Hunt's money that funded a lot of the talent bidding when the two leagues were in competition in the 1960s. By propping up the fledgling league, he managed to make it competitive enough to beat the NFL in Super Bowl III, which he successfully leveraged into negotiating a merger of the leagues, creating the modern NFL we have today. And that got him his original wish of having an NFL franchise. Oh yeah, he coined the term "Super Bowl" too.

Lamar Hunt did a lot of good for professional football, but that should not be confused with him being a great man. It was really just a by-product of having the resources to ensure that everything would eventually go his way. IMHO he was just another self-absorbed rich guy who thought the rules didn't apply to him, dabbling in sports.

RIP.
                        Last edited by -Jrabbit; December 14, 2006, 21:32.

Comment

• Not the best eulogy I ever heard.

Comment

• Just wanted to add a little reality to the breathless sainthood the national media has been heaping on him.

Comment

• No see, that would be Landry. Landry is the saint.

Comment

Let's take the 49ers as a real good for instance.

You're coaching them. Do you really want to win this, and as many as posiible, at this point?
                                Detroit. Oakland. Arizona, they all are assured of Top 3 picks.
                                49ers are not assured of anything but a crap season.

I'd start resting the 1st squad as much as a team does in the last of the season, when they're assured of a playoff homefield.
                                I think people who are competitive will want to win, whatever the circumstances, even if it hurts their draft position. The latter is something for fans to ***** about when their team doesn't get as high a pick.

I think it's the pre-pre-season. You're evaluating everybody to see how they fit into things next year (and beyond). One thing I'd look at is work ethic - are they still battling when there's no hope of playoffs, when they're on the wrong end of a lopsided score? Or are they just going through the motions? "Hey, just give me my paycheck, I'm gettin' paid, no need to get hurt."
                                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                                One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Working...
                                X