Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Atlanta lets Vick go right now, they don't really have anything to build around. What would Atlanta's offense be with a pocket passer? They have an aging halfback, undersized linemen who are terrible in pass protection, and a wide receiver group with the worst hands in the league.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
      If Atlanta lets Vick go right now, they don't really have anything to build around. What would Atlanta's offense be with a pocket passer? They have an aging halfback, undersized linemen who are terrible in pass protection, and a wide receiver group with the worst hands in the league.
      And an injury ridden defense, don't forget... it's just not that talented of a team.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Arizona probably isn't that far away from playoff contention and the offensive line is what's really holding them back so if they are able to add a stud up front to solidify that group they could very easily take that next step in a hurry.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

yeah they've been needing an offensive line for years, but they never seem to draft one.

As for the Falcons, sometimes you have to cut your losses and start over. Unless they want to continue being a mediocre team.

Comment

I don't agree with the analysis of taking a lineman that high, as I've said; but merely illustrate the current thoughts among some about Arizona.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

The Michael Vick quandary is fascinating to me. The experts can't agree on what the problem is, let alone the solution. Some call him coach-killer. Some say the offense doesn't suit his talents. Me? I dunno.

But I have a thought. Bear with me.

What's more likely: that Atlanta receivers have sucked for 6 consecutive years, or that the Atlanta QB is contributing to WR suckiness? I know Imran will be typing his Vick-apologist rant by the time he reads this far, but let me explain.

Dropped passes are more likely on throws that receivers have to reach for. The further away from a perfect lead pass it is, the harder it is to catch. Exacerbating this is the fact that Vick thows hard. Pulling in an off-target fastball on the run is obviously a lot tougher than grabbing one in stride, on the numbers.

So: Is it not conceivable that Vick is actually contributing to the high drop totals by being just off-target enough to raise drop totals from 1-2/game to 5 or 6? I mean, he's never been particularly accurate in the NFL (carreer 53. 6%). And he's got a rocket arm.

I know some of the most recent drops have been blatant and inexcusable, but looking at it long-term, does it really make more sense to blame a dozen or so NFL receivers, or the one QB who's been throwing to them?

Like I said... just a thought.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Aside from the fact that recievers haven't necessarily dropped the ball as much in the past (look at the stat link Sloww posted wrt completion percentage dropping since 2004 and then after 2005).

And Price's numbers since leaving Atlanta show the quality of him, and he was the Falcons' #1 reciever for 2 years.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

What Jrabbit seems to be saying is that Vick needs to learn how to put "touch" on his throws.

You really don't need to rocket everything.

The things I've been hearing is that the Falcons, may indeed, be ready to cut ther losses.

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Hey, I'm perfectly willing to agree that some of Atlanta's decisions have sucked on a management level. But I think the issue goes a lot deeper than a seeming inability to find a guy who can run good routes and has great hands. (Certainly the signing of WR castoffs from the Bears is a red flag!)

My further theory on The Vick Quandary is that he is simply not a good fit in a standard NFL offense. His running skills are extraordinary, but conventional wisdom is that he's too valuable to use as a runner. It should bbe pretty clear by now that conventional wisdom doesn't apply.

If I was in Atlanta's position, I would bring in a truly innovative offense, deploying a backfield of a QB, an RB who can block, and Vick. This would be reminiscent of the Hornung-era Packers, maybe a bit like the way the Chargers use LT -- an explosive, elusive runner who's a threat to throw at any time. (I dunno, maybe he's not that elusive anymore, since the injuries.)

I don't think the NFL is ready to handle a running back who gets 20+ touches and throws on maybe 5+ of them. The problem is, it would require a huge commitment -- one that few if any coaches are willing to stake their reputations on.

But considering the commitment that Atlanta made to Vick (10 year extension in 2004 worth $130 MM, $37 MM signing bonus), I think they should continue the thought beyond the option plays they've got for him now. If they can't find a way to make that investment pay off, they're looking at 8 more years of limited cap space and mediocre finishes.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Certainly the signing of WR castoffs from the Bears is a red flag!

Oy... Dez White . What in the world were they thinking?!

Comment

Jenkins isn't a bad WR.

Comment

Because you've seen something that no one else has? He's a good blocking WR, but doesn't have the hands. Or are you only basing it on his college career?! In that case, J.J. Stokes must have been a kick ass WR .

Comment

I doubt the Lions would pick up a QB.
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

He's caught 5 TD's, well above a WR average.
                              He's done well considering he has a crap QB that can't get him the ball. All the Atlanta WR's have 325 yards or so receiving, but Jenkins has the points.

Comment

Crumpler has 6 TDs. The Tight End is more reliable than he is. Jenkins has gotten the ball, he just can't hold onto it because he's got no hands. If Crumpler can have 500 yards recieving with 37 receptions, why can't Jenkins who has had more than enough chances?

Comment

Working...
                                X