No announcement yet.

My biggest problem with Warlords . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My biggest problem with Warlords . . .

. . . is actually really inconsequential.

I miss the vanilla title screen and music! I wasn't reminded of this until today when the opening track came up on my mp3 player. The title screen for vanilla civ 4 gave a real sense of epicness (is that a word?) and depth, which was heightened even more by the music. With Warlords we get some ugly guy tossing a sword around, a couple of animated spears in the background, and a downbeat, fairly uninspiring title track.

Not that I'd trade back the advances of Warlords, but surely there's some way to get back the original title sequence! It always got me well fired up for a session of civ.

If you replace the Warlords OpeningMenu.mp3 file with the one from vanilla, you'll have the vanilla opening soundtrack. There's not such an easy way to get the spinning Earth background, though.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Yeah, I did that shortly after hearing the original theme again. Sadly it's a bit incongruous to have the energetic, optimistic original music paired with the Warlords screen. I may just have to use my imagination.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

That helps me not at all. Spill.

Comment

Hopefully XP2 will have a neat opening menu.
            The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
            "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
            "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
            The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

I don't have Warlords, so I can't figure it out for myself or else I'd help. Perhaps Nacht or somebody else would describe what they did so everyone else can enjoy the globe too

Comment

I was able to figure out how to switch the opening movie, but not that screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Nacht
                  Now spill the beans, I don't like that ugly sword guy
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Well the way I did it:

- Back up 'CIV4ArtDefines_Interface.xml' in '[your civ4 folder]\Warlords\Assets\XML\Art' and replace it with the one in the zipfile.

- Back up 'CIV4MainMenuBG.nif' in '[your civ4 folder]\Warlords\Assets\Art\Interface\Main Menu' and replace it with the one in the zipfile.

Worked for me. This will also restore the old loading screens.

If anything goes wrong, restore the old files.

It's generally frowned upon to change the files in the assets folder but it was the only way I got it to work without crashes when exiting MP games.

I also restored the vanilla startup splash screen. But you'll have to modify the exe to do that.

Hope it works
                    Attached Files

Comment

To each their own I guess.
                      Personally, I found the opening music for vanilla intolerable and replaced it forthwith.

Comment

Really? I downloaded it to my mp3 player as soon as I bought the game I still sitt and listen to it for several minutes every time I open the game...

Oh and has it been said there is going to be a second expansion pack...??
                        A university faculty is 500 egoists with a common parking problem

Comment

Awesome. Thanks Nacht.

Comment

Yes, thanks Nacht.

I didn't realize how much I missed the vanilla opening screen and music. Particularly when you are on your 4th attempt to connect to the Gamespy server for a pitboss game. If I see that ugly guy flip his sword one more time ;and will someone please tell me what he sees under his shield.
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Beta
                              Yes, thanks Nacht.

I didn't realize how much I missed the vanilla opening screen and music. Particularly when you are on your 4th attempt to connect to the Gamespy server for a pitboss game. If I see that ugly guy flip his sword one more time ;and will someone please tell me what he sees under his shield.
                              A warrior must die nobly in battle, not from an inconsequential scorpion bite in the night. That's what he's checking for (arachnophobic?).

Comment

Working...
                              X