No announcement yet.

HRE NES II: Der Aufstieg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

King Rudolph II of Burgundy to King Heinrich of Germany (secret)

My thanks for your concern; I am doing quite well and have safely reached my court at Besançon. My forces are gathering for the offensive you have been informed of - which I trust we will continue to keep quite secret - and I believe I will be capable of leading them personally in not too much time.

The baronial rebellion several years past has, in my opinion, exposed the rotting structure of King Charles' rule. He has been forced to yield Normandy to the norsemen, and controls little outside his own demesne in the Île-de-France; the Dukes of France have as much power in their lands as I do in my Kingdom. I do not believe that Charles has the strength or support to contest your claims over Friesland - I am not sure he can even comfortably leave the environs of Paris without a rebellion storming in behind him. He cannot afford declaring war on the King of the Danes, and does not have the power to bend Friesland to his will. Nevertheless, you surely understand that given my other plans, opening hostilities with the King is not in my best interest. I will, however, diplomatically support any move to place Friesland under your protection.

I fear that a major conflagration is at hand, from Brittany to Salerno, and that it is unavoidable. In such times I believe that righteous men must not shirk from conflict, but be ready to take advantage of the situation to its fullest extent.
    Last edited by Cyclotron; January 2, 2007, 14:20.
    Lime roots and treachery!
    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Orders Finis!

26-12-2006
      Three Magyar horsemen [arrive from the east]…to deliver a message to the "chiefs of Germany,"

Questions:
      several turns ago I spent 200 d each in Bamberg and Weinsberg to begin building fortifications…was that not enough? How much would be appropriate to get some basic defenses up?

Whatever happened to Conrad's widow and children?

Hmm hmm hmm. Well, if it is appropriate, my family will look after them, maintain contact with them. Got to bring those kids up well.

4,065 denarii available
      3800 spent

75 iron and 1525 d for 800 sets of light armor
      300 d for 100 sets of heavy armor
      400 d for 400 shields
      150 d for 150 pavises

150 d for 150 swords
      150 d for 150 axes
      200 d for 200 spears
      200 d for 200 polearms
      100 d for 100 javelins
      200 d for 200 bows

425 d to finance ducal duties. This consists of sending envoys to the aristocrats, town leaders, church officials and the like all across Franconia to hear their problems, suggestions, thoughts, and communicate them to the Duke. In the week or two or however long it takes before my armies are ready to march out I will even invite nearby nobles to come accept my hospitality and meet with me in person. I want these envoys I send out to find out real opinions and facts if they can, as well as the official 'party line' that the nobles and other power figures spout. I want to maintain contact by messenger with the officials who govern in my stead while I am on campaign, so as not to be an entirely absent Duke. The Duke's hand must stay on the neck of Franconia--to take its pulse, and to guide it where it must go.

Call up 100 more knights and 300 more sergeants

Appoint Vizegraf Teutomar von Würzburg as a general and send him to Bamberg. Once the 1000 new recruits (henceforth “Bamberg Guard” are equipped with weapons he will have command over them.

Call up new generals, including the reserved Landgraf Raganald von Hesse.

The following forces will join that great big allied army on its campaign:

The Eastern Veterans’ Battalion, under the command of Wildgraf Merobaud
      von der Thüringerwald;

The Frankfurt Levy; within which the spear and archer contingents will be commanded by Landgraf Cristianus von Mellrichstadt and the sword contingent will be commanded by Rhinegraf Gisfried von Ingelbeim;

and Conrad’s Fist, under the command Bishop Roricus von Worms.

Duke Eberhard will accompany and of course retain overall command of his forces, paying particular attention to the Frankfurt Levy and maintaining close contact with all his generals. I don't expect von Mellrichstadt and von Ingelbeim to work together, I just need them to command their men on the field and the Duke will take care of all other duties.
      Last edited by foolish_icarus; January 5, 2007, 19:44.
      Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

And I thought we had cleared Germany of Magyar intruders... Anyway, I am quite sure cloth armour, as it is no armour, does not need to be paid for. So you can spend those 120d otherwise...

Would you mind sending some of your troops to support the Imperial army?
        Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
        Let me eat your yummy brain!
        "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

Support the Imperial Army at what, my lord? I have heard of no concrete plans to actually go fight the Magyar.
          Last edited by foolish_icarus; January 4, 2007, 14:23.
          Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

The Imperial-Bavarian-Swabian force is currently planning to embark on a reconquest of Carinthia, though it is not expecting a significant pitched engagement.
            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Make that the Imperial-Bavarian-Swabian-Saxon force, with Burgundian rearguards , if I understand correctly that a Saxon division will be coming south to assist.
              "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
              phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
              three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Comment

Also the Bohemians have there plans to launch an incursion into magyar lands soon too. I'll be looking to coordinate the movement with whats going on in the south so we have maximum effect.
                Join the Civ4 SPDG and save the world one library at a time.
                Term 1 Minister of Finances in the Civ4 Democracy Game and current Justice in the Civ4 Democracy Game
                President of the Moderate Progressives of Apolyton in the Civ4 Democracy Game Aedificium edificium est Vires

Comment

several turns ago I spent 200 d each in Bamberg and Weinsberg to begin building fortifications…was that not enough? How much would be appropriate to get some basic defenses up?
                  This was an oversight and will be corrected.

Whatever happened to Conrad's widow and children?
                  They are all certainly still alive. I'll put the children in the stat block for your benefit.

Comment

Who is the current Duke's heir? Is the current Duke, in fact, the rightful Duke, or only a sort of regent for Conrad's son?

Would it be proper in this case to take the Widow and her children into my household and provide for them (err...I would have done this sooner had it occurred to me )
                    Last edited by foolish_icarus; January 5, 2007, 01:12.

Comment

Originally posted by foolish_icarus
                      Who is the current Duke's heir? Is the current Duke, in fact, the rightful Duke, or only a sort of regent for Conrad's son?

Would it be proper in this case to take the Widow and her children into my household and provide for them (err...I would have done this sooner had it occurred to me
                      There is a difference between what is technically "legal" according to traditional Salic Law and what is actually practiced. Technically, Hermann (Conrad's son) should have succeeded him, and a regent would be put in place until he came of majority (for purposes of this NES, that age is 15). However, no brother of a dead Duke with underaged heirs would settle for a regency; that would only encourage their outside enemies. The brother would likely claim the Ducal seat, and in the absence of any real alternative, he would have to be accepted.

The upshot of this is that Eberhard is the Duke, but when Hermann comes to majority, he could bring a serious challenge to Eberhard's Dukedom (because Hermann would have legality behind him). Eberhard could peacefully abdicate when Hermann comes to majority, or he could try to control, exile, or even kill Hermann to secure the reign for himself or his children.

Comment

This update has begun, but I had to do some unexpected things this weekend (including staying up until 4am to write a sermon) and it will be a bit late. Any changes to orders before I make the update post will probably be acknowledged.

Comment

Woohoo!
                          "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
                          phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
                          three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Comment

Yes, the Bohemian Major national improvement program has begun!
                            Join the Civ4 SPDG and save the world one library at a time.
                            Term 1 Minister of Finances in the Civ4 Democracy Game and current Justice in the Civ4 Democracy Game
                            President of the Moderate Progressives of Apolyton in the Civ4 Democracy Game Aedificium edificium est Vires

Comment

These battle reports sure do take a while to write! This is all the update for today, folks:

The Battle of Martenshoek Bog

Utrecht Vikings (Havard Fasthjalm) – 2,125 men
                              200 Huskarl (heavy, spear, sword, shield)
                              1,500 Vikings (light, polearm, sword, shield)
                              300 Viking Archers (light, bow, sword, shield)
                              100 Riders (horse, sword, javelin, shield)
                              25 Berserkir (polearm, insanity)

Groningen Vikings (Grimmdolg) – 650 men
                              50 Huskarl (heavy, spear, sword, shield)
                              500 Vikings (light, polearm, sword, shield)
                              100 Viking Archers (light, bow, sword, shield)

Viking Slayers (Landgraf Theodoric von Norden, Vizegraf Gunter von Holstein) – 1,710 men
                              110 Heavy Saxon Raiders (heavy, polearm, sword, shield)
                              50 Sword-Archers (bow, sword, shield, light)
                              200 Saxon Raiders (polearm, sword, shield, light)
                              200 Medium Angonmen (javelin, spear, shield, light)
                              700 Medium Woodsmen (light, shield, axe, bow)
                              450 Frieslander Auxiliaries (polearm)

Army of Norden (Count Dirk, Baron Staas van Apeldoorn) – 1,910 men
                              80 knights
                              180 sergeants
                              550 Medium Guards (polearm, light)
                              200 Skirmishers (sword, shield, javelin)
                              900 Militia (polearm)

Though the Count of Friesland was originally reluctant to engage the Vikings with only a fraction of Saxony’s total army, the King’s generals finally managed to convince him of the necessity of attacking before further reinforcements could arrive. Restless and ready for combat, the Saxon troops left Groningen in high spirits with the Frieslander Army of Norden under command of the Count himself. Though another Frisian detachment was in Deventer at the time, the Count feared committing all his forces to one fight, and expressed concern that, if left unguarded, the southern part of his realm would be ravaged by the Vikings of Utrecht in the absence of a garrison. The two armies advanced towards Groningen with nearly 4,000 fighting men, plus camp followers.

Minimal resistance was expected; the Vikings were believed to be around 500 strong and Groningen lacked any real defensive works. The armies, however, were spotted by the Vikings early on, and the Vikings had in the previous year moved most of the Utrecht garrison to Groningen by sea. At a large peat bog just outside the town, the Germans and Frisians came face to face with a combined Viking army of nearly 3,000 men.

With both sides light on cavalry, it was evident that an infantry clash would decide the battle. This was upsetting to the Count, who had counted on a strong contingent of chivalry from the Saxons, and was well aware of Viking prowess on foot. Nevertheless, retreat was out of the question, and the sides took battle lines in the misty spring morning. Though the allied command was uncertain, the troops were well-supplied and ready to fight. On the Viking side, supplies had been running low for months as Frisian forces edged in on Viking-held lands, but the raiders seemed in good spirits regardless. With them were several berserkir, terrible and brutal warriors whose very presence encouraged the Danes.

The battle opened with the archers of both sides moving forward to skirmish. The archers from both sides ventured forward to harass the enemy’s ranks; though well armored, the Danish archers were simply outnumbered by the equally well protected Saxon woodsmen. The Danish skirmishers retreated under a hail of arrows, and though the Vikings did not fall in great numbers due to their broad shields, their main force was sufficiently provoked to begin advancing towards the Germans and Frieslanders.

The Danes formed up into a “swine array,” a formation of multiple wedges – like the teeth of a saw – with the most well-armored and fiercest soldiers at the front and the archers at the rear. The Huskarls led each wedge, with the Berserkir covering the right flank. The Vikings advanced in good order under fire and impacted the German-Frisian line with substantial force. The melee was extraordinarily fierce; the Frisians and Vikings exchanged blows with their two-handed Danish axes, while the Saxon raiders held the right flank fiercely. Though the Frieslanders were many, the militia equipped with nothing more than polearms was totally outclassed; the Frisian left was held by these militia troops, which were carved apart by the fierce Berserkir, who led the Danish wedges straight through the Frisian lines. Seeing no other option, the Count countercharged the Danish right to bolster his flank. Though the attack was unexpected and a good amount of Danes trampled, the marshy ground proved too difficult for an effective charge and the chivalry was turned back with heavy losses. At this point, sensing victory, the Danish riders charged, only to be brutally suppressed by the Saxon archers on the flanks.

The Saxon lines on the right held far better, but the rout of the Frisians led to a very real danger of encirclement. With the woodsmen providing covering fire, von Norden managed to extricate himself and his men in a semi-orderly retreat. The Danes, howling and mad, charged after the retreating enemy, determined to deliver a killing blow. They were stymied by the Saxon and Frisian javelinmen, who had stayed back as a reserve. In the swampy soil of the peat bog, the Vikings were hard pressed to chase down the more nimble skirmishers. The javelins pierced shields and armor, and when one shaft ran the Viking lord Grimmdolg through the eye, his troops lost their nerve and broke off pursuit. Havard Fasthjalm pursued the Saxons all the way to Norden, but his attempt to lay siege was fruitless; a rain had set in, making any attempt to fire the palisade wasted effort, and the Saxon archers beat back any attempt to storm the works. Frustrated, the Danes withdrew, jubilant in victory but discouraged at its cost.

Losses:

The Saxon “Viking Slayers” lost 445 men.
                              20 Heavy Saxon Raiders
                              60 Saxon Raiders
                              20 Medium Angonmen
                              25 Medium Woodsmen
                              320 Frieslander Auxiliaries

The Frisian Army of Norden lost 890 men.
                              35 Knights
                              80 Sergeants
                              235 Medium Guards
                              10 Skirmishers
                              530 Militia

The Vikings lost at least 500 men; the exact count is uncertain.

150 Militia have deserted the Army of Norden. The rest of the army, along with the Saxons, holds Norden itself.

The Viking lord, Grimmdolg, was slain; no other commanders were wounded or killed.
                              Last edited by Cyclotron; January 11, 2007, 13:57.

Comment

Wow. That was... harsh.

So the Frisians expected cavalry, but the little they had proved ineffective due to terrain? Is the Count a fool or was is just bad luck with the weather?
                                Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
                                Let me eat your yummy brain!
                                "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

Working...
                                X