No announcement yet.

HRE NES II: Der Aufstieg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the major Roman roads runs roughly Ravenna-Perugia-Rome. It also maximizes your time spent in the Papal States, which, if you are fearing Berengar, at least slightly diminishes his ability to act upon you. Berengar has influence there, but not quite as much as he does in northern Italy and Friuli.
    Lime roots and treachery!
    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

• Papal bull or no, there's no sense taking chances. I'll take that road.
      "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
      phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
      three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Comment

• Your time is rapidly expiring! Get those orders in by the end of Friday, or else...
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

• Update in progress, by the way.

Comment

• Anno Domini CMXXII

This Year’s Pope: John X
            This Year’s Emperor: Berengar I
            This Year’s King: Heinrich I

Successions

The Crown of France has become disputed.

Duke Vratislaus of Bohemia has taken Brno and laid formal claim to the title of Prince of Moravia, a succession to a vacant principality. Legal scholars are unsure about the implication of this for the Duke’s feudal obligations; technically, the Duke does not claim Moravia as a fief from the King of Germany, so this claim theoretically makes him a vassal of the King only insofar as Bohemia is concerned.

Let the bells ring out in good tidings, and praise of God! Bertha, daughter of Duke Burchard II of Swabia, has been married to King Rudolph II of Burgundy. Apparently, this arrangement was made in secret between the Duke and the King.

Word comes from the southeast that the Fejedelem (ruling prince) of the Magyar Horde, Szabolcs, has died. He has been succeeded by his cousin, Fajsz. The new Fejedelem has reportedly called a great council of the Magyar chieftains at Kalocsa to receive their oaths of loyalty and confirm his rulership.

Family Business

Wenceslaus, son of Duke Vratislaus of Bohemia, has reached majority at age 15. He can now succeed to the Ducal throne without a regent should his father die, and is suitable for command or any other assignment befitting a Bohemian nobleman. He is likewise suitable for marriage, should an advantageous match be discovered.

Land und Leute

The winter was mild this year, and all territories enjoy a 10% bonus to demesne income.

Krieg und Frieden

Rebellion and War! Some barons of France, as well as more powerful French lords, have rebelled against the French King, Charles III “the Simple,” and marched on Paris. Fearing for his life, the King has fled to Lotharingia, where his ally, Duke Gilbert, remains loyal. The rebels have crowned Robert, Dux Francorum (and brother of Odo of Paris, the King of France before Charles), as King Robert I of France. King Charles is known to be collecting an army in Lotharingia to retake his throne.

King Rudolph II of Burgundy, citing an invitation by Italian nobles, has declared himself the rightful King of Italy and has invaded Lombardy. Margrave Adalbert of Ivrea, Emperor Berengar’s own son-in-law, has risen against him and joined Rudolph’s host. Though the border fortifications between Italy and Burgundy are extensive, Berengar’s recent expedition into Carinthia stripped them of most of their men, and Milan has thrown open its gates to Rudolph after the pro-Berengar bishop there was assassintated by a noble conspiracy. Berengar has accused the Duke of Bavaria and the King of Germany of conspiring with the King of Burgundy against him, and has shut down all trade between the Kingdom of Germany and the Kingdom of Italy. Duke Burchard II of Swabia, now related to the King of Burgundy by marriage, has declared war on the Emperor.

Bojek, a pagan Slav warlord ruling the Moravian town of Brno, has accepted the offer of Duke Vratislaus of Bohemia to recognize the Duke’s suzerainty. He has been confirmed as the Hrabě (Count, Graf) of Brno and has pledged the necessary feudal oaths to the Duke. Though most of Moravia remains outside Bohemian control, the principal town of the region now hosts the Duke’s army, as well as around 2,000 tribal warriors pledged to Bojek.

It seems the Magyar incursions into Carinthia have at last ended. In the early summer, the raiding parties trickled away to almost nothing, probably because there is little left in Carinthia to destroy. Nearly every peasant in the country has either been killed, enslaved, or forced to flee, and no substantial towns or villages remain, save Vienna itself. Attempts by small raiding parties to infiltrate into Bavaria were thwarted by the Markgraf. Most of the Magyar host went south and west, raiding Italian caravans in the Alps and leading raids into Friuli, before moving into Istria where they extracted tribute from Trieste and sacked Pula, a Venetian colony on the Adriatic.

Other News of Christendom

Pope John X has received Duke Arnulf of Bavaria at his residence of state, and has granted the Duke a prize of 1,000 denarii for his efforts in returning one of the supposed relics. The Pope informed the Duke that a special court of priests would be convened to review the nail’s authenticity in the coming year or so. He added that, if the second nail were found and deemed to be likewise authentic, he would grant it to Germany in recognition of its services to the Holy Father in lieu of the rest of the reward, if the Duke so desired. He has furthermore blessed the endeavors to build a monastery and Cathedral in Regensburg, and has dispatched twenty learned Roman monks to aid the Duke.

Rumors come from the east that the Khazars, a nomadic people converted to the faith of the Jews, have triumphed over a nomadic coalition against them that was encouraged by the Byzantines. The Khazar lord, Khagan-Bek Benjamin ben Menahem, has defeated the Pechenegs so crushingly that many have become his vassals, and now Khazar domains stretch all the way to the lands of the Magyars.

A Viking invasion of Mercia has been thwarted by Edward “the Elder,” King of England. With the former Danelaw now restored to English hands and the Danish attempt to reclaim it thoroughly quashed, it seems England is safe from Viking arms – at least in the near future.
            Last edited by Cyclotron; April 19, 2007, 03:13.

Comment

• Skirmish at the Perugian Wells

Nail Guards (Duke Arnulf of Bavaria) – 120 men
              70 Saxons (light, sword, shield, polearm, 30 Magyar Bows)
              50 Bavarians (light, spear, shield, sword)

Bandits – 150-200 men

The Duke’s journey through Italy went according to plan for some time. The King of Burgundy invaded Italy only after the Duke had entered Papal territory, and though Berengar’s forces were certainly present in the area, a note carried to the Duke from the Emperor assured him that, so long as the “Nail Guards” remained neutral, he would leave the procession unmolested. Most of the trouble along the way, in fact, was internal. The Saxons and Bavarians in the guard did not get along famously, and the Duke’s lieutenants had to break up fistfights between the troops several times.

Nevertheless, the Duke arrived in Perugia ahead of schedule - but the town elders informed him that they had insufficient water and food to supply his force. They recommended that the Duke camp near the wells south of the town, where water could be obtained freely, though food still had to be rationed carefully. The troops were in a better mood after watering themselves and the Duke’s steeds, and began to continue their journey to Rome.

Less than a mile south of the wells, the party was ambushed by a troop of bandits. A volley of arrows came out of the trees, striking several men dead on the spot, and the bandits came soon after. In the half-light of the early dawn, the bandits succeeded in penetrating to the Duke himself, who was obliged to draw his own sword to fend off his assailants. Recovering from the initial shock, the Bavarians rallied around their Duke and bushed the bandits back. The Saxons, having been spared the brunt of the assault, charged up a wooded slope by the side of the road and scattered the bandits there. With a significant number of their force either scattered or slain, the remaining bandits fled back into the woods.

The incident struck the Duke as rather curious; though the assailants appeared to be common bandits, there were quite a few of them. It seemed further odd that bandits would attack such a large and obviously armed party, and that they seemed to knowingly aim for the Duke. Upon later consultation in Rome, the Pope suggested that it could well have been men of Duke Alberic of Spoleto, a vassal of the Emperor, but because there was no real evidence the Pope could not act on his threat of excommunication. The Duke requested that he be protected in the same manner on his return journey, but the Pope declined, saying that the outbreak of war in Lombardy made such protection a political impossibility. He would, however, dispatch 100 men of the Roman militia to accompany the Duke as far as Perugia.

The Duke’s journey homeward met with no further ambushes, but upon his arrival on the banks of the Po river he was refused crossing by the Veronese guards there, on the basis that the Emperor had prohibited German crossing through the Kingdom. The Doge extended an invitation to the Duke, that his forces might stay in and be provided for in Venice until a way was found to return him home, which the Duke accepted. For now, the Duke and his remaining Guardsmen are guests of the Doge.

15 Bavarians and 20 Saxons were killed in the fighting. Though the battle against the bandits was won, they left no loot to speak of. Around 40 to 50 bandits were killed. No German leaders were killed or injured; it is unknown if any bandit leaders were killed.

Comment

• A New Weapon

The rebellion in France has brought a relatively uncommon hunting instrument to the attention of commanders throughout France and Germany. Called a "lock-bow" by the Vikings and a "crossbow" by the French, this curious device allows a man to loose a bolt with more power and less practice than an ordinary bow.

Game information: Crossbows may now be ordered, just like any other weapon. Like all other weapons, they cost 1 denarii each, and are produced more cheaply with iron. Because of its slow reload time, the crossbow is less effective generally than a bow, but it has a number of special advantages that make it competitive. A crossbow outranges a bow; it has around the same range as a Magyar (composite) bow. The crossbow is more able to punch through armor than a bow, and is thus far more effective against armored targets. Crossbows can be aimed, ready to fire, for a long period of time, making them unsurpassed weapons when it comes to keeping an enemy's head down when assaulting or defending walls. Thus, while bows remain the better choice for skirmishers and against lightly armed targets, crossbows are more effective against armor and in siege situations.

Crossbows have a "special rule" that applies just to them. Normally, only trained levies may be equipped with weapons or armor. Crossbows, unlike bows or swords, can be mastered in a matter of weeks. Thus, crossbows may be provided to peasants drafted up immediately; you can call up as many peasants as you have crossbows and they will be able to fight that very turn, without any training. Such peasants may only be equipped with crossbows (and pavises, if available). They cost the same amount to maintain as a levy soldier. Peasants are unreliable troops; they are prone to running at the first sign of trouble, may desert in the face of hardship, and will be slaughtered by even light skirmishers in a melee. Nevertheless, peasant crossbowmen can provide an army with a cheap body of troops in a very short time that can be surprisingly effective against enemy chivalry and heavy infantry.

Peasants that participate in a fair amount of fighting are considered to be "trained" and will be converted to normal levy soldiers. They are, however, very prone to desertion and may not stick around long enough to reach this level.

The crossbows of the 10th century are relatively light; they can be spanned by hand (winches, cranequins and the like are unknown). They can thus be used on horseback as well as on foot, though most knights and sergeants have no small amount of disdain for this "peasant's weapon."

Comment

• Update info on particular duchies is coming, but not today. For now, enjoy some diplomacy.

Emperor Berengar I to King Heinrich of Germany
                  I should have suspected that your "invitation" into Carinthia was treachery. Nevertheless, I will refrain from taking action and respect your neutrality so long as you maintain it. Join this rebellion against my authority, however, and you will be dealt with as befits a traitor.

King Rudolph II of Burgundy to King Heinrich of Germany and all German Dukes
                  My friends, you surely all remember the times when I have lent what aid I could to the protection of your lands. Now, I ask for your aid in overthrowing this "Emperor" - whose rule is so odious that the Italian nobles themselves have asked me to take the crown for myself. Join me in battle and I can promise great renown and reward.

King Charles III of France to King Heinrich of Germany
                  I realize that we have not always been on the best of terms, but I ask you to note the precedent set by this new rebellion against my rule - if it is established that a mere noble can usurp the authority of a rightful King, what will stop rebellion from entering your lands as well? Join me in striking down this upstart noble, and let us demonstrate that no man may threaten royal power in Christendom with impunity.

Count Herbert II of Vermandois to King Heinrich of Germany
                  Good King, I send you this message as a representative of and partisan for the rightful King of France, Robert, son of Odo of Paris, King of France. Yet I greet you, noble King, of my own accord as well - my lands are not far from Friesland and I have no desire for anything but a cordial relationship with the German Kingdom. I have been authorized to inform you that, should you support the accession of Robert to the Kingship, your claim over Friesland will be recognized and the French claims to that County abandoned.

It has also reached my ear that your sons, good King, are near to majority. My daughter, Adele, is a year younger than your eldest, and - if I may be so bold - perhaps a good match for one of your sons, if you desire closer relations with France and Vermandois?

Siemowit of the Polans to Duke Vratislaus of Bohemia
                  I have heard your son and heir has come of age, and I give you my hearty congratulations. I have a niece, Chesna, who is two years his junior - perhaps we might strengthen our ties through marriage, and you and your house will join me at the feast table!

Havard Fasthjalm, Jarl of Friesland, to King Heinrich of Germany
                  So you dare not confront me further? A good decision, as your men flee like whipped curs before my warriors! If I see your filthy Christians in my lands again, I will hunt you down and make your skull into my new drinking cup!

Duke Burchard II of Swabia to all German Dukes
                  My brothers, I urge you all to support the effort of Rudolph of Burgundy to gain the Italian throne. He will suit us invariably better than Berengar has! Already my army marches for Italy; who will join me?

Khagan-Bek Benjamin ben Menahem of Khazaria, Lord of Atil, Servant of God, to the Dukes of Bavaria and Bohemia
                  The steward of the chosen people of God greets the Christians of the west. We must apologize for the conduct of Our former vassals, the Magyars. We have heard that they have made great trouble for the Christians since their independence from Us. Know well that they no longer receive comfort or aid from mighty Khazaria. We, Khagan-Bek of all the tribes of Khazaria, express our desire for peace with the Christians and will maintain this peace so long as you show proper respect for the Jewish peoples of your land. So long as their interests are secure, you will find no dispute between us.

Jarl Othar Otharsson of Jomsborg to Duke Arnulf of Bavaria
                  The skalder tell me the Christians of the south have hired Danes for their wars with the Madjarer, the thundering horsemen. Should you be interested in more... professional Norse arms, my Jomsvikings are available for a price.
                  Last edited by Cyclotron; April 16, 2007, 20:06.

Comment

• Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to Jarl Othar Otharsson of Jomsborg
                    While I am would normally be eager to take your offer, I simply cannot afford to hire your Jomsvikings at the price you demand. While I have no doubt that your warriors are worth the money, at the moment I need more men more than I need better equipped men. Should you see fit to sell the services of your Jomsvikings at 2 d. per man per year, we might be able to work out a deal. Besides, I must consider the interests of my King- the Vikings I hire are no longer available to raid Freisland, while to the best of my knowledge, your Vikings do not work against his interests at the moment.

OOC: Before I go any further, did Berengar cut off my trades with Venice? Or just trades between Germany and the Kingdom of Italy, leaving trade routes that pass through intact?

Comment

• Originally posted by appleciders
                      OOC: Before I go any further, did Berengar cut off my trades with Venice? Or just trades between Germany and the Kingdom of Italy, leaving trade routes that pass through intact?
                      No German anything can pass through Italian territory. Thus, your routes to Venice are cancelled.

Edit: The Duke and his soldiers are likewise "trapped" in Venice, for now.
                      Last edited by Cyclotron; April 17, 2007, 03:23.

Comment

• Well, I've got my thesis oral examination tomorrow, wish me luck. Duchy-specific updates will be coming. For now, tell your fellow NESers there's an update about.

I imagine that I'll have to field some questions at some point about some of the characters starting to show up - "who is this Adalbert fellow? What about this Herbert II guy?" To help you get a sense of what's going on in this tumultuous year, here is some information about your noble counterparts in Italy and France.

Italy

Italy may be divided into three “regions.” Northern and central Italy (with independent Venice excluded) is largely under the domain of the Emperor, who as King of Lombardy and Margrave of Friuli maintains a sizeable power base. The Papal States are only loosely controlled by the Emperor; typically there is great self rule in these areas, since the Pope often has little temporal power beyond the walls of Rome. Listed here are all the territories of the Kingdom and their direct holders. Note that Margrave Adalbert of Ivrea is now in rebellion against the Emperor.

Kingdom of Lombardy (Emperor Berengar I)
                        March of Ivrea (Margrave Adalbert)
                        March of Friuli (Emperor Berengar I)
                        March of Tuscany (Margrave Guy)
                        Duchy of Spoleto (Duke Alberic)

South of these provinces are the principalities of southern Italy. They are de facto independent, though they often recognize the nominal suzerainty of the Western and/or Eastern Emperors. Recently, Benevento and Capua have been combined under the rule of one Prince.

Principality of Benevento (Prince Landulf)
                        Principality of Capua (Prince Landulf)
                        Republic of Amalfi (Patrician Mastalus)
                        Principality of Salerno (Prince Guaimar II)

At the “boot” of Italy itself are the Byzantine themes and dependencies. The themes are Greek administrative regions, ruled by a general (called a strategos) sent from Constantinople. The “duchies” of Gaeta and Naples are also Byzantine fiefs, but their rulers are often at odds with the Strategoi and seem to be in rebellion as often as they are not.

Theme of Calabria
                        Theme of Langibardia
                        Duchy of Gaeta (Duke Docibilis II)
                        Duchy of Naples (Duke Marinus I)

France

Most seem to have little interest in the troubles of the French King; notably, the Counts of Flanders and Vermandois, as well as the Duke of Aquitaine, have joined King Robert. The rest are too busy or uninterested to bother; Anjou and Normandy are at war, Burgundy has just lost its old Duke, and Gascony and Toulouse have never been terribly interested in French royal politics.

County of Flanders (Count Arnulf)
                        County of Vermandois (Count Herbert II)
                        Duchy of Normandy (Duke Rollo Ganger)
                        County of Anjou (Count Fulk “the Red”)
                        Duchy of Aquitaine (Duke William II “the Younger”)
                        Duchy of Burgundy (Duke Rudolph)
                        Duchy of Gascony (Duke Gassia II Sans)
                        County of Toulouse (Count Raymond II)
                        Italy's divisions will be better reflected in the upcoming map. France's are a little harder to map and will remain undrawn, but it's not hard to do an internet search and see where "Anjou" is, for instance.

Comment

• Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to Duke Burchard II of Swabia and King Rudolph II of Burgundy (Secret)

My friends, while I support your enterprise, I cannot act yet! Provoking an Italian response would be irresponsible while I reside in Venice, and quite rude to my host, who I dare not offend. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors, and should I manage an escape from Venetian soil, I will send the portion of my army I do not require for defense to assist you. For the moment, I encourage and allow you to take command of all the Viking and half of the Thuringian mercanaries of my army- these men, hopefully not recognizeable as Bavarians, should serve you well and shall serve some small part of my duties in this enterprise.

Comment

• Duke Vratislaus of Bohemia to Siemowit of the Polans

I thank you for your congratulations. There have been many feasts in my house in celebration of this event. I must say that your offer does interest me. It would be a great day for us to strengthen the tie betwix us. What say you to meeting in person to work out the finer details of such a joining of our families?
                            Join the Civ4 SPDG and save the world one library at a time.
                            Term 1 Minister of Finances in the Civ4 Democracy Game and current Justice in the Civ4 Democracy Game
                            President of the Moderate Progressives of Apolyton in the Civ4 Democracy Game Aedificium edificium est Vires

Comment

• Siemowit of the Polans to Duke Vratislaus of Bohemia
                              Our people have been troubled lately by a Magyar Úr (chieftain) who holds the Moravian town of Olomouc. I am well aware of your conquest of Moravia, and I have long presumed this city would be your next target. I propose that I go with my warriors to assist you in the town's capture, and when this is done, we will meet personally in Olomouc to discuss whatever it is you wish to discuss. Bring your son, and I will bring my niece, and if we find arrangements suitable we will feast with our warriors there.

Comment

• Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to Archbishop Pilgrim of Salzburg
                                Foreign correspondance has called to my attention the state of Jews in the duchy of Bavaria. Could you compile a report for me on the numbers, locations, and status of the Jews in Bavaria?

Also, OOC: The Magyars are the vassals of Jews? This is a historical development I was unaware of. One rarely thinks of Jews in the Middle Ages as the rulers of pagan nomads. Must do some research...
                                Last edited by appleciders; April 18, 2007, 18:10.

Comment

Working...
                                X