Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why CIV4 is the best video game ever made

1) You can play it the rest of your life and never play the same game twice

2) It makes you really think and research shows it actually can increase your IQ

3) You get a sense of accomplishment when playing the game, unlike any of game

4) Its a new kind of "drug" that is addicting in a good way, see number 2

5) What other game allows you to build a country from 1 settler from the stone age to the space age? Sure there are others, but they don't do it like CIV4, not even close

6) You don't need a $3000 gaming comp to run it! In fact you can run it on a $600 machine or even a laptop

7) There is more depth here then the pacific ocean!

8) The music is just, well we all know, AWESOME!

9) The ability to interact with AI leaders is downright incredible!

10) AI is just about this best for a strategy game as big as this

11) Spearmen, horses, ships, tanks, jets, nukes, etc!Awesome selection of units that not many games can match

12) Can actually "teach" kids why wars are fought

13) Has meaning, just a very meaningfull game

14) Pretty to look at and awesome animations

I think we all know what I am getting at so feel free to add to this list...
    -PrinceBimz-

teach why wars are fought? Do countries go around attacking other countries just because they have a larger military and can beat up on them? (think about U.S. in Iraq and Afghanistan- well maybe they do ).

But we haven't attacked Canada yet.

Comment

6) You don't need a $3000 gaming comp to run it! In fact you can run it on a $600 machine or even a laptop
      Yes, it works fine playing huge maps, 14 civs on laptop with 32MB video ram.

Now, i'm playing first game on 6yrs old P3 800Mhz, 256MB ram with 32MB GF2
      Playing on lowest settings (still look good ), and static leaderhead mod.
      Playing on standard map, up to middle age, no problem.

Comment

I don't like the delays on large and huge maps. It seems the size of ram in the video card (my last video card died) has a huge impact on the ability to play large maps.

But from an enjoyment standpoint, I think I prefer standard maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

Why would you want to? Because we have fresh water? Diamonds? Uranium? More oil than the Middle East (it's just hard to get it out of the sand right now)? Lumber? A Northwest passage in ten years? More land but 10 times less people?

On second thought, never mind. It will happen, we just haven't pissed you guys off enough yet.

On topic: 6). depends on the laptop. Not mine...

15) It helps with college. I've learned a lot from Civ 4 that I've applied to my Business Admin. courses, and it has helped me understand some of them. Scary...

Otherwise, this list

Comment

Re: Why CIV4 is the best video game ever made

Originally posted by PrinceBimz

9) The ability to interact with AI leaders is downright incredible!

10) AI is just about this best for a strategy game as big as this
            On 6: they could improve RAM usage

On 9: I find it too limiting in civ4. Why can't they make the AI smart enough to understand trades like techs for resources or to at least coordinate attacks (like SMAC but way more advance)

On 9: Play Galciv2

On the reast:
            I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

Re: Re: Why CIV4 is the best video game ever made

Originally posted by _BuRjaCi_

On 9: I find it too limiting in civ4. Why can't they make the AI smart enough to understand trades like techs for resources or to at least coordinate attacks (like SMAC but way more advance)
              You could do this in civ3. They took it out for civ4 as people could exploit it.

You could offer gold per turn for a tech and then declare war on the civ so you get the tech for cheap. If you made it so that people couldn't declare war while in these deals then they could be exploited as a cheap way of keeping peace with a strong opponent.

Comment

I love the performance in Civ4. Takes 24 civs in the game for me to have any slowdowns at all in the modern, otherwise AI turns are damn fast. With Civ3, somehow, no matter how good your PC was, there were 5-minute, and then 10-minute turns...
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Solver, what are your system specs? I get slowdown on standard maps in the late game with a pretty up to date PC.

PE
                  The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Well, I'm running on a dual-core 3.2 GHz machine with 1.5 GB RAM. Which is more than enough for Civ4. But before that, I played on a 1.7 GHz machine with 512 MB RAM, and on Large maps with 10 civs didn't really experience slowdowns until late in the game.

Then again, this is highly subjective, as everyone's definition of what a slowdown is varies.
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                      teach why wars are fought? Do countries go around attacking other countries just because they have a larger military and can beat up on them? (think about U.S. in Iraq and Afghanistan- well maybe they do ).

I think Canada would be accurately modeled as a voluntary vassal. The US can trade for all the resources it wants from Canada (it even turns away lumber ). In return Canada gets a free ride on the US military.

So the US doesn't need to attack Canada unless it's going for a domination victory and it needs more than half of Canada's land mass to achieve victory. (Canada has very little population so it would have to be land mass.) So the Canadian military planners should be figuring out where the US can get 60% domination without half of Canada's land. If they can't find a way, it's time to switch to nationalism.

Comment

Everyone has their own list of reasons, but I agree that it is the best computer game ever made, and I am extremely hard to please.
                        One point I would add to the list is the responsiveness of the developer to its customers. Firaxis actually listens to our suggestions and our reports on what needs fixed. That's a breath of fresh air in this industry.

Heck, it must be the best game ever; even Yin26 liked it!

Comment

Damn good game? Yes. Best ever made? Ha.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                            I love the performance in Civ4. Takes 24 civs in the game for me to have any slowdowns at all in the modern, otherwise AI turns are damn fast. With Civ3, somehow, no matter how good your PC was, there were 5-minute, and then 10-minute turns...
                            I can't get 24 civs; none of the mods seem to work for me

Comment

It is easily the best 4X game ever made. As for the best overall, it's hard to say that.

Comment

Working...
                              X