No announcement yet.

Why CIV4 is the best video game ever made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best 4X, but I still think Medieval:Total War with Viking Invasion was the best game ever.

Comment

It's the best TBS game ever made. There's some tough competition though. X-com was amazing as well.

I'm still finding this game so fun to play. The key is to keep the challenge. I can't play easy levels anymore, I quit and get bored. But long as there's some challenge, I can keep going.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Why CIV4 is the best video game ever made

Originally posted by ColdPhoenix

You could do this in civ3. They took it out for civ4 as people could exploit it.

You could offer gold per turn for a tech and then declare war on the civ so you get the tech for cheap. If you made it so that people couldn't declare war while in these deals then they could be exploited as a cheap way of keeping peace with a strong opponent.
        Yes, that is why I said they should improve the AI so it understands the risks (A simple way would be just to bring back reputation) .
        I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

No it would not. Reputation was taken out for a good reason. To locate the reason of a deal break is not always trivial.

Imagine a resource deal in the Ancient or Classical age. No road yet, trade route goes through the coast. Now let in a yet unsettled region between the 2 civs pop a barbarian ship. Trade route broken, deal void, reputation goes down. Who's responsible? That's how it worked in Civ3, people found it unfun and they were right. One of the main premises of development in Civ4 was to remove things unfun. Firaxis did a darn good job on this.

IMO, the way trades work in Civ4 - item for item, per-turn for per-turn, but never item for per-turn, is the only thing that's always fair and needs no false and arguable reputation setting.

Comment

Best game ever? Nah.

That was civilization I

Though Warcraft II scores goddamn awful high as well.

Comment

Elite!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                It is easily the best 4X game ever made. As for the best overall, it's hard to say that.
                It is a technically better game (SMAC has a few points on it for atmosphere). And I think it's probably more innovative than any of the other Civ games, and any of the other 4X's I've played. But there's not that much competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                  No it would not. Reputation was taken out for a good reason. To locate the reason of a deal break is not always trivial.

Imagine a resource deal in the Ancient or Classical age. No road yet, trade route goes through the coast. Now let in a yet unsettled region between the 2 civs pop a barbarian ship. Trade route broken, deal void, reputation goes down. Who's responsible? That's how it worked in Civ3, people found it unfun and they were right. One of the main premises of development in Civ4 was to remove things unfun. Firaxis did a darn good job on this.

IMO, the way trades work in Civ4 - item for item, per-turn for per-turn, but never item for per-turn, is the only thing that's always fair and needs no false and arguable reputation setting.
                  You are right.
                  But there are so many times in history where civilisations have traded resources for technology or lump sums. Is there no way to make the AI understand how to apprais the value of these deals? Why can't the AI keep tabs on how good you (and I mean the player not barbarina intervention) are at keeping your word and your relatvie military strenght?
                  I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

Re: Why CIV4 is the best video game ever made

Originally posted by PrinceBimz
                    2) It makes you really think and research shows it actually can increase your IQ
                    I actually wrote a couple of high school assignments based almost entirely on the information in civ1 civilpedia.

Comment

Civ4 is definately a great game, but it does get the same, again and again. Ergo, the deep need to mod.

Comment

Originally posted by blacksunshining View Post
                        Civ4 is definately a great game, but it does get the same, again and again. Ergo, the deep need to mod.
                        I don't disagree that mods add a huge amount of variety. However, some of the "get the same, again and again" is the result of player preference.

One thing I love about the online community is that players are exposed to and receive encouragement and enlightenment regarding different strategies. Try a SE strategy. A trade economy strategy. A priest strategy. Culture victory. There are so many different ways to play, and permutations when combined with different civs / leader traits, that the possibilities are almost literally endless.

Comment

Thanks for the comment, the photo's are of pretty poor quality and I apologise for that I think they may even have been taken on my phone...

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceBimz View Post
                            1) You can play it the rest of your life and never play the same game twice

2) It makes you really think and research shows it actually can increase your IQ

3) You get a sense of accomplishment when playing the game, unlike any of game

4) Its a new kind of "drug" that is addicting in a good way, see number 2

5) What other game allows you to build a country from 1 settler from the stone age to the space age? Sure there are others, but they don't do it like CIV4, not even close

6) You don't need a $3000 gaming comp to run it! In fact you can run it on a $600 machine or even a laptop

7) There is more depth here then the pacific ocean!

8) The music is just, well we all know, AWESOME!

9) The ability to interact with AI leaders is downright incredible!

10) AI is just about this best for a strategy game as big as this

11) Spearmen, horses, ships, tanks, jets, nukes, etc!Awesome selection of units that not many games can match

12) Can actually "teach" kids why wars are fought

13) Has meaning, just a very meaningfull game

14) Pretty to look at and awesome animations

I think we all know what I am getting at so feel free to add to this list...
                            I agree PrinceBimz What I really like about Civ IV is the deepness in gameplay, the high replaying value, the "creator feeling" it brings and of course, the amazing soundtrack it has (I love the opening music VERY MUCH, could hear it all day long lol).

Comment

Originally posted by fanatic4k View Post
                              I agree PrinceBimz What I really like about Civ IV is the deepness in gameplay, the high replaying value, the "creator feeling" it brings and of course, the amazing soundtrack it has (I love the opening music VERY MUCH, could hear it all day long lol).
                              The funny thing about this is, that this topic was started in 2006 and nowadays its still true! Civ4 sure is a brilliance game. And about the opening soundtrack...That is the only bad thing about the expansion BTS... the Civ4 opening music is gone
                              Civilization is a game where man dominate a fictive world.. woman does it for real

Comment

The best game ever made is obviously an exaggeration. The point is: it's a great game.

I wish I found out about this earlier, when I became bored of all the generic mmorpg titles.

Comment

Working...
                                X