This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does .9-repeating equal 1?

".9-repeating" meaning "a decimal point followed by an infinite number of 9's." I don't know the VB code for ".9-with-a-bar-on-top."

There's a provably correct answer to this question, but I'm more interested in what the court of public opinion holds to be the truth.

There is no banana option. Bananas aren't math.

Edit: I suppose that I ought to say "a decimal point followed by a countably infinite number of 9's," but I'm afraid that may be begging the question.
    Yes
    60.23%
    No
    39.77%
    Last edited by loinburger; November 5, 2006, 21:24.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

I said Yes, but in strictest theory the answer is No.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I vote no, because it's techincally not.
      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

If you cut off .001 mm off the tip of a banana, it's still close to enough to call it 1 banana.
        If you take .001 mm out of a human brain, then no it's not whole.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

This poll is invalid
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

This is such a silly question. It assumes that things like "1" and ".999..." actually have some independent existence from what we say they are (OK, I'll accept for the sake of argument that "1" might, but ".999..."??). The reason that .999...=1 is that that's what we define it to mean. There's no reason we couldn't define it to mean something else though.

Comment

Does .9-repeating equal 1?

Of course it does. I can't believe people could disagree with this.

You take 1 and divide it by 3, you get .3 repeating indefinitely. Multiply by 3, and you get .9 repeating indefinitely. Which equals 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                Does .9-repeating equal 1?

Of course it does. I can't believe people could disagree with this.

You take 1 and divide it by 3, you get .3 repeating indefinitely. Multiply by 3, and you get .9 repeating indefinitely. Which equals 1.
                That's an essentially circular argument. How do you know that 1/3 is .3 repeating?

Comment

No it isn't, it's as straight as can be. Please tell me that you disagree that 1/3 is .3 repeating?

Comment

Better yet, please tell me that you disagree that .3-repeating is a rational number, or else explain what ratio (besides 1/3) defines .3-repeating.

I promised myself that I'd stay in the peanut gallery, but the "math is just meaningless words that I happen to use on a daily basis" argument is just too broad of a target.

Comment

How can you possibly introduce the concept of rational here?

Comment

Geez, this already sounding like a bloody Platonic dialogue. Anyway, my answer is: "for all practical purposes, yes." Much like pi is, for all practical purposes, 3.141952-something-something. I read somewhere that once you get past a couple dozen decimal places or so, knowing the value of pi more exactly becomes a pointless exercise, since what you already know is enough to calculate the diameter of the sun to the nearest centimeter or something ridiculously accurate like that.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Re: Does .9-repeating equal 1?

Originally posted by loinburger
                          There's a provably correct answer to this question, but I'm more interested in what the court of public opinion holds to be the truth
                          Given that you have a pretty good math background I'm sure you know the answer as well as I do...
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                            Given that you have a pretty good math background I'm sure you know the answer as well as I do...
                            You keep your so-called "proofs" to yourself, Mr. Elitist Math Guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                              I vote no, because it's techincally not.
                              Why not?

Take 1-0.99999999.....

What is the answer?
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X