I think im addicted to Victoria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think im addicted to Victoria

Finished my second game, this time as Sweden (first had been as Belgium) Pretty peaceful, until two wars with Russia at the end. (Well actually more than that, cause I did a fair amount of saving and reloading - no not to cheat, just to learn about the combat system)
    First war I managed to get two provinces - one in Finland, the other the adjacent Sulphur province. Thanks to my allys good peace pact. Second war wasnt done when the game ended. Finished with a conservative, economically unreformed society. Lots of fun building industry though.

Immediately started again as Savoy-Piedmont. Doesnt seem hard at all. by 1856 Ive got Parma and Modena, and my iron shortage has turned to iron surplus, which has eased all my industrial problems.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Re: I think im addicted to Victoria

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Immediately started again as Savoy-Piedmont. Doesnt seem hard at all.
    Wait untill the italian unification event - that's when you find out how well you're really doing. It's usually the turning point, one way or the other, for savoy-piedmont in my experience.

Are you playing with the expansion pack? How is it?
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Is you don't have the XP, I'd shell out the $10 if I were you.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

What wonders me is why didn't they turn movement into being attack in the Victoria --> V: Revolutions upgrade like they did in HoI --> HoII upgrade?

Comment

Perhaps they didn't think it suited the earlier part of the game?
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Re: Re: I think im addicted to Victoria

Originally posted by General Ludd

Wait untill the italian unification event - that's when you find out how well you're really doing. It's usually the turning point, one way or the other, for savoy-piedmont in my experience.

Are you playing with the expansion pack? How is it?
            re unification. Youre right. When the event hit, I still faced independent Tuscany, Papal states, two Sicilies. Good event I thought. France will help me against Austria, and I'll take all Italy, more or less like in OTL. Well, of course France dishonors my alliance, and Austria crushes me.

Reload. This time I wait till later. Take Tuscany. And half of papal states. Franco-Prussian war breaks out, and Austria goes in on Prussian side. Goodie, Frances position may be worse, but im stronger now, Ottomans are in against Austria, beat Austria now, right?

No. France never goes above 29 divisions, Austria mobilizes to 130. Bavaria has as many divisions as France. Result, not only does Austria send massive force against me, they even have german divisions to spare to fight me. I reloaded that several times, refining my war strategy each time, and even when was cleverly using terrain, etc, I couldnt overcome the fact that they could throw about as many divisions against a given province as i had in my whole army. Now I suppose I could have gone back and vastly increased the number of soldier pops, which would have not only given me more divisions, but more of my divs would have been regulars instead of reserves. But i didnt feel like doing that ( i had about 20 divs, about half reserves).

So i reloaded and just avoided the war. Took all of papal states except Rome. Then, in 1876 (way behind OTL Kingd of Sardinia) I went for Two Sicilies. Easy pickings, right? Yes, until France DOW's me. At which point Im dead.

I could go ahead and reload, and try a diff strat. Maybe start putting my abundant cash into fortress on the French border, and man them. Or maybe Ive just realized that to play Sardinia, you have to get out to a much faster start, so you can take better advantage of the unification event.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Ive started as USA instead, and its fun playing a country I know better. I even enjoyed the starting factory locations - New England textile mills, Kentucky whiskey, etc. Cute, ya know?

Although I made the mistake of not taking Texas as a state, and I see war with Mexico is HARD.

Comment

You think war with Mexico is hard? I thought it was pretty simple. But then again I only play on the lower difficulities. BTW, is it V:R? That's where I have the most recent experience. If you think it's hard it could be a good idea to ally with GB, that should be doable early in the game.

Comment

Well winning battles isnt hard, its getting to a good peace settlement that seems hard, but then maybe i didnt prepare well enough the first time.

Comment

If you take the enemy's capital, it all becomes much easier. 20% more war score and a much higher likelyhood of getting a favourable peace. But for Mexico it' easy. Take one province in the first war, then you get an event giving you most of the US's cores on Mexico. At least it's so in V:R.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                      If you take the enemy's capital, it all becomes much easier. 20% more war score and a much higher likelyhood of getting a favourable peace. But for Mexico it' easy. Take one province in the first war, then you get an event giving you most of the US's cores on Mexico. At least it's so in V:R.
                      Oh, yeah, i got that, the arizona and New mexico sale event.

Im finding USA a real chore to manage - i can sorta deal with the rails and factories, its the damned pops, that always seem to migrate in stupid ways. Laborers piling up in some provinces, while other provs dont have enough, factories without workers while unemployed workers sit idle, and the dozens of tiny immigrant pops from reallly odd cultures (that didnt migrate to US in OTL)

Im thinking of putting Vickie aside till I get Vicky:R, or maybe playing as a Euro power again.

Comment

I hated to play the US in Vickie until I got V:R. I highly reccommend it.

Comment

Just curious, does V:R work alone, like Doomsday, or do you have to own vanilla Victoria to play it?
                          Blah

Comment

You have to own the Original Game

Anyone know wheter I can change the USA parties to full_citizenship in a running Game?
                            Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Originally posted by Main_Brain
                              You have to own the Original Game

Anyone know wheter I can change the USA parties to full_citizenship in a running Game?
                              You want MORE insane immigrant pops to show up?

"Pop - Clerks. Culture - south Gondwanastani. Religion - Sunni Muslim. Number - 100"

Comment

Working...
                              X