Guild Wars - Nightfall edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guild Wars - Nightfall edition

As the old thread has got to 510 posts, time for a new one.

Nightfall is out, and it owns. Post why you think it owns here.

Definately not because of the sin hero you get in Cantha

Other than that Ive just touched the surface but this Hero thing seems to be pretty good thus far.

More later
    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Heroes own, and you only get 3, so if you don't want the assassin then don't take her.

Comment

Heroes rock, the story is better than the previous games, seems a lot more humor thrown in.

I would imagine someone coming in with no previous GW experience and just getting nightfall might have a harder time with heros, having not all the unlocks.

Haven't really played with the new professions much.

If I had to nitpick:

Starter island was interesting the first time through (I did it in the preview event) the second time (I made a Ranger, since I don't have one), it seemed to take a little too long, I'm sure I'll be seeking a way to skip as much as possible by the time I get around to making a Paragon and Dervish. There are umpteen million side quests on starter island, anyway. No need to do em all every time.

Heroes make the game easier, and can encourage Less 'Pugging'. Course, that can also be a good thing...

Anywho, I'm on most every night/morning. Feel free to friend list me if you want some help on something : Nemo Mairidh (though I'm not all that far in NF yet)
        One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
        You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Nightfall rocks, the storyline is intenser than before - hell I actually felt like a hero when I
          Spoiler:
          fought the Lich and Shiro together, met all the five gods and killed Abaddon deep in the Realm of Torment

Also the game is beautiful and runs perfectly smoothly on max settings and is an absolute joy to play, interface wise.

GG Anet.
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

If I didn't buy chapter 2 (but have chapter 1) do I need to buy chapter 2 to enjoy chapter 3? (aka the "unlocks" comment above?

Also, is this enjoyable as an essentially SP game (like chapter 1 was, but I was led to understand chapter 2 was not)? IE, I might party up with people to do any given mission, but I don't really guild (except perhaps with a mission-focused guild, to ensure a decent group of folks to party with) and don't MP at all...
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

NF is:

1) Excellent and much better than Factions
              2) independent of Factions and although you'll miss a few skills mostly they were fluff or duplicates - it's no big deal really
              3) much more SP orientated than Prophecies ever was, since you have heroes which mitigates the need for pugs (if you are skilled ) on all quests and missions.

And as an aside most guilds are formed to do PvE content - you are really missing out if you play a online RPG solely as a SP game.

Comment

Its been good to see Guild Wars rise up the ranks of player approval, one day i plan to get a wonderfull boxed set version and give it a go - i keep eyeing the current one each time i pop into my local store

Comment

I joined a guild for a while in Prophecies, I did some stuff with them, but I just don't play enough for most guilds that are decent ... I'm sure there are plenty of guilds out there for people like me, but it's fairly hard to find them, as their players are, well, not on that often
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Damn Jamski, I don't understand how folks have finished already. I've played at least an hour a day since Halloween, (didn't play before, see the hobby link in my sig if you don't know why) and a ton last weekend, and judging by my mapping %, am only about 1/3 through at best.

Now, I am taking my time and doing most the sidequests this time through, so that probably plays into it. I'm sure subsequent chars will take far less time.

As for my unlocking comment, I'm just saying that if someone had never unlocked a single thing before, never played Prophecies, never played Factions, and just jumped right into Nightfall, Heros are not going to be any better than a henchman until you unlock the skills for them.

Heros have access to EVERY skill you have unlocked on your account. For a brand new install of Nightfall only, you'ld be stuck with their default skill set, which makes them henchies, basically.
                    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Well, the game was released during my half-term holiday. Oh god, its great to be a teacher
                      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Cid
                        Its been good to see Guild Wars rise up the ranks of player approval, one day i plan to get a wonderfull boxed set version and give it a go - i keep eyeing the current one each time i pop into my local store
                        To be honest if I was starting now I'd just get Nightfall. Prophecies was mind-blowingly awesome on release but the playerbase is thin now and Nightfall has had 18 months to evolve the GW experience.

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                          Damn Jamski, I don't understand how folks have finished already. I've played at least an hour a day since Halloween, (didn't play before, see the hobby link in my sig if you don't know why) and a ton last weekend, and judging by my mapping %, am only about 1/3 through at best.

Now, I am taking my time and doing most the sidequests this time through, so that probably plays into it. I'm sure subsequent chars will take far less time.
                          I've finished my Dervish and started my Paragon, and I have a job. However there have been 2 weekends since release and I may have spent the odd hour or so playing NF.

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx

As for my unlocking comment, I'm just saying that if someone had never unlocked a single thing before, never played Prophecies, never played Factions, and just jumped right into Nightfall, Heros are not going to be any better than a henchman until you unlock the skills for them.

Heros have access to EVERY skill you have unlocked on your account. For a brand new install of Nightfall only, you'ld be stuck with their default skill set, which makes them henchies, basically.
                          This is a touch harsh on new players, or a nice reward for dedicated players, depending on the way you look at it. Personally I'd have been happy to unlock skills for my hero, though using hero skill points alone (ie if the facility to use skills you have unlocked by other means was removed) would have had to have been rethought.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                            I joined a guild for a while in Prophecies, I did some stuff with them, but I just don't play enough for most guilds that are decent ... I'm sure there are plenty of guilds out there for people like me, but it's fairly hard to find them, as their players are, well, not on that often
                            UnO and I and another guy (Merrial) just formed our own mom and pop guild, if you start playing again and need a couple of buddies come find us in the Guild Wars section of MZO.

Do you want to play every night? Fine.

Want to play once a month? Thats fine too.

I think all of us to one degree or another got fed up with all the Guild bullcrap so we formed our own mom and pop, if nothing else so you wouldn't get spammed to join that next uber l33t guild everytime you logged on

You dont need Factions to enjoy Nightfall, and the only reason I ever got "faction" was to get Factions armor for my monk.

So if you start playing and need a small very casual group to hang with come check us out.

Merrial and I are Eastern time and UnO is Mountain, the three of us usually dont get on together until about 900PM Chicago time so the time zones should work pretty well for you.
                            *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Originally posted by conmcb25

UnO and I and another guy (Merrial) just formed our own mom and pop guild, if you start playing again and need a couple of buddies come find us in the Guild Wars section of MZO.
                              I am probably going to pickup NF today so I'll look you guys up. I haven't played any GW in months, and usually do not have net access during the week though.

Comment

Working...
                              X