X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do PC-CTP-MODS work on MAC-CTP?

Anyone?

ATa

I have been trying the mods but have failed dismally so far. I doubt strongly that for example the radically overhauling "dutcheese" pack would work on the Mac port but the scenarios seem to work fine.

I am in the process of writing a mac version of "dutcheese", but i'd say the outlook looks a bit grim on that front.

Comment

have you tried the apolyton pack?

Comment

Not yet... it looks like it could change the game great deal, but i must admit to so far only having tried scenario's and trying to create my own work.

I have looked at it well enough to appreciate what it does.

Has anyone else tried?

Comment

I'd be willing to try installing apolyton pack, but after downloading it, I was greeted with a .exe installer... I may just be overlooking a way to get the .txts/.flis out, if so I'd love here from you guys.

[edit] If somebody has the altered files, and could send them to me, e-mail me at jsavage@mac.com. [/edit]

------------------
          "God. Root. What is difference?" - www.userfriendly.org
          [This message has been edited by TheThirdJesus (edited February 15, 2000).]
          [This message has been edited by TheThirdJesus (edited February 15, 2000).]
          "God. Root. What is difference?" - <A HREF="http://www.userfriendly.org
          " TARGET=_blank>www.userfriendly.org
          </A>

Comment

I'll have a look later on tonight.

Comment

If anyone has had luck doing this contact me, and i'll arrange for your Mac conversion to be made available on the site.

I haven't had time to work on it at all, as i am still furiously playing the new beta i have.

Just waiting for the patch that i thought would be here by now (more so for my fellow gamers than myself).

Comment

`noops, the installer is for pc only...

get the Apolyton Pack in a zip file here
                http://apolyton.net/ctp/files/ApolytonPackv1.zip (4.4MB!)

Some files have to be in the default folders, the rest under /scenarios

be carefull not to overwrite anything, and if you do keep a backup
                [This message has been edited by MarkG (edited February 16, 2000).]

Comment

Getting it now... i'll do the unzipping and checking here at work, burn it to CD and try it at home over the next few days.
                  [This message has been edited by Baston (edited February 16, 2000).]

Comment

In the readme for the pack it states:

REQUIREMENTS

1) Activision Civilization: Call to Power
                    2) C:CTP Patch v1.2
                    3) "1.21 Hack"(optional but recommended)

INSTALLATION
                    Before installing the Apolyton Pack, we recommend that you install the "1.21 Hack"

Presumably the 1.21 hack is not compatible or available for the Mac. The apolyton pack is therefore likely to cause alot of problems. I might test it, but would feel more comfortable adapting a "Mac" version from scratch.

As to whether it would be compatable with the PC would be anyones guess. I will continue to read the file here at work but don't know how far to take it yet.

Comment

The more i have read the readme and other documentation the more distinctly uneasy i have become about porting a Mac version or applying it outright.

This pack, whilst great for some people, seems to be a major overhaul of the game itself with many changes to every part of the game.

For me personally having played the game many times, i have found it to be quite reasonably balanced. If you download the pack with a view to updating your Mac copy of CTP, i implore you to think again.

I will begin work on a safer and more useful "quickstart" for PBeM games. I am not saying the pack is bad or full of rubbish it's that, as a Mac owner of CTP, it leaves me feeling very uneasy about testing or playing under its changes. Especially being unsupported too.

I'd welcome any views counter to this but i wont personally be trying it.
                      [This message has been edited by Baston (edited February 16, 2000).]

Comment

Yesterday I downloaded Cd's mod and installed it exactly how the readme said (I found that this was one of the few mods that didn't come in a .exe self extractor). It works perfectly and no serious glitchs (the library has some weird square letters instead of spaces in some of the entrys, but that's only a cosmetic problem). The units introduced worked, and so did the new goverments, I played a quick game on king (1vs1, no water, tiny map), and found that all the new stuff in the mod seemed balanced and cool.

As for v1.21 and possible problems of not using it. I would assume that v.1.2 on the Pc side is what we've got now (logically this makes sense, why port the broken code that would have to be patched instead of the post-patch code?). As for the v1.21 hack, I have no idea... But since Cd's mod works, I think v1.21 is not needed, only suggested.

After installing Cd's mod, I wanted to try some more I then installed the unit avis/sprits/images for Cd's mod (this is a separate mod that you can find in the download section.); this too worked perfectly. I then tried the two different civ color changes (which by the way, were very cool), they worked fine.

Overall, I'd say PC mods work fine on the mac. :-D

I'm going to go try to install the apolyton pack and see if it works, I'll get back to you guys later today or tomorrow.

------------------
                        [This message has been edited by TheThirdJesus (edited February 16, 2000).]
                        </A>

Comment

the 1.21 hack is optional and is just for the pc anyway

it fixes a couple ugly bugs in the scenario pack feature which I dont know if they exist in the mac port.

IF the same bugs exist, you will have to move some files on the default folder and follow onw of the two ways to load a game which uses the pack

Comment

Sounds good thirdjesus... i'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Comment

It works!

after installing the apolyton pack, I've found that it works fine.

To be perfectly honest, it was sort of a let down that everything went so well... I had set aside about 2 hours this morning just to try out the apolyton pack and make sure their were no bugs; and it only took 15 minutes to realize everything worked perfectly and can be installed easily. The SLIC stuff works, the scenario stuff works, new units work, blah blah blah. Bug free and working great (of couse, this is only after some general testings, I'll post an update after I finish a full game).

This leads me to believe that ALL PC mods/scenarios should work on mac, I'm going to go try the one that baston downloaded and had trouble with. It may just be that he placed a file in the wrong folder or something like that (no offense intended).

Also, apolyton should post mac/linux versions of these mods... all they would need to do is release a non-installer version (i.e like the zip of the apolyton pack files).

If anybody has questions/comments, I welcome feed back at jsavage@mac.com. I'll be posting here again today or tommorow as I do some more testing.

p.s: A friend of mine lent me borrow virtual PC, so i'll be extracting some other mods to test those too. I might also compile a list of mods that work on the mac and post them here(although I suspect they all do...)

------------------

[This message has been edited by TheThirdJesus (edited February 17, 2000).]
                              </A>

Comment

Working...
                              X