Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bye bye dinos.....

http://www.firaxis.com/dinosaurs/welcome.cfm

I am not upset at all about the end of Dinos because it means that civ3 will get all the attention as it should. Civ3 needs to get all the attention because it is the game that needs to be the best. Furthermore, Sid says that he has a different prototype that is more interesting than dinos, so we can look forward to a game that should be really cool!

------------------
    No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Man this really sucks, just as I was about to re-lanuch my website with a Dinosaurs section, I go to the Dinosaurs Webpage to see that the idea has been scrapped. This sucks, massive, well I guess it back to the drawing boards for me.

The #1 Person who believe in Dinosaurs.

Comment

Yeah, I can see how you got that title, Diplomat.
        Oh, wait... no, I can't.

Civ III may be your favorite, and YOU may think it "needs the most attention", but I've been playing Civ and Civ-alikes for a long damn time now. Something new would have been nice.

Guess we're SOL on that front. Bring on the sequels!

Bah.

Comment

I don't know if I agree with you entirely Stormdancer but I do agree with you mostly. It would of been nice to see Dino come out but like he said on his last diary he hasn't found the right set up for it yet. Maybe he will find it eventually and start developing it again soon. CivIII should be good and that will be nice but like you said it would of been nice to see Dinos get developed and released too.

Comment

Stormdancer: if you are interested, I picked "The diplomat" as a username because diplomacy is my favorite part of civ games. As for my signature, I had a poli sci prof who talked about how alliances shift over time and once friends can become enemies and vice versa. She said at one point that since alliances shift that a nation rarely has permanent friends or permanent enemies. I thought that concept was so intriguing that I turned it into a sig.

There you have it: the secret of my username and sig finally revealed!

------------------
            No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.
            'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
            G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Sure that if the game has a name as "Sid Meier's Evolution" (a mix of Sim Earth and Civilization) this never happened.

I know that Civilization I in the first version was RTS
              (or RTR, real time reflexs ), but Civ was finalized...

But the GREAT question is: Without the first game, what will happen with the announced Sweep of Time Trilogy? Or the new idea of SM is the new first game?
              Last edited by XarXo; February 21, 2003, 10:22.
              Signature: Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts

Comment

Oh well, a lot of hints and then we have... nothing

One lesson learned: they can show us nice graphics but haven't still a clue about the most important game design; they haven't still decided if RTF, FPS, TBS, On-Line permanent...

About where to shift the Apolyton Dino area, while MarkG and DanQ are kidding about a new "Extinct" site section ( ), I suggest to create a "Lost games" section instead, just until the new Sid idea will be, well, firmly defined

May be is better to save server disk space and discard the whole area ASAP, as fast as Firaxis flushed the "Sweep of Time" marketing concept.

------------------
                Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                - Admiral Naismith

Comment

snif...

Well let's hope Sid's next idea is worthwile finising.
                  But I think it is something to tell after a year of development that the idea isn't fun and has to be let aside. Not all developpers would do this, I think.

MarkG: Going to close forum soon?

Comment

Firaxis good luck with the new project.

And hopefully this means that there will be more updates with the Civ III site.
                    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Seems like the 'no permanence' thing is ... well... not common sense, but certainly something that a few years of experience, or some study of history, should teach one.

It's a good sig.

Oh, and Admiral Naismith - I'd go stark staring bugfork crazy working in that kind of aimless and unfocussed design method. Maybe it works for them, but yea, it does seem like you should at least lay out the basics of game style BEFORE investing person-years of development time!

Oh well.

[This message has been edited by Stormdancer (edited January 26, 2001).]

Comment

This is a surprise to me, I thought the Dino game was going to be a sure thing. I would have liked to see a game on Dinosaurs, it would have been totally original. But like someone mentioned above, this means CIV3 will get even more attention like it should and will need. Me I always welcome another CIV game, I don't think I will ever get tired of it. It would not bother me one bit if I was to play a CIV 8 sometime In fact I hope I will have that opportunity one day. Of course if it was to be it would be a different name I am sure and not CIV 8, but who knows.

I personally believe that Firaxis has received so much feedback from CIV fans about CIV 3, that they realize this is definitely without a doubt a game many, many, many people want. This could be part of the reason for putting Dinos on the back burner. I think they realize there is tons of interest in the CIV 3 project and much more then Dinos was. Although, only time will tell, Dinos may have been a big hit like the rest of Sid's games. But for now, I say continue to focus on CIV 3, make it the true best of the best! GO FIRAXIS!!

------------------
                        -PrinceBimz-

Comment

Everyone's saying "may have," "could have been," and the like. Guys, they're putting it on the backburner for now. It doesn't mean we'll never see the game. Obviously, Firaxis should have realized the time and energy that CivIII would require a year ago, and held off on launching Dinos to begin with.

I firmly believe that once CivIII is done, Dino development will get back underway.
                          CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
                          Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
                          Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
                          Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

reismark, may be I red something different (or is my bad english) but Sid not only recall back Dino: he have a new "pet" so we have Civ III, then the "new secret", then... well I don't bet a dime on Dino returns

------------------
                            Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                            "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                            - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I would really love to see a colonization 2. After civ3 of course.then dinos then civ4 then dinos 2 then some other great and wacky idea for a game, like sids pet 2. then civ5 then col3 then dinos3 then maybe civ6 then sids pet 3 then another new game then col4 then dinos4 and then when all these are finished in 2010 i'll be happy.

------------------
                              " mind over body "
                              Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

Working...
                              X