War elephants.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War elephants.

Were they that useful? I went to have a looksy on Wiki, but it seems that even though they were intimidating, they never really won a war. Am I right? And how did they kill them or scare them. On wiki they say alexander and the romans had found a way to deal with them...what was it? Flaming pigs?

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The mice brigades.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

IIRC elephants were more useful as transportation (ie, Hannibal) than as actual cavalry types. They're not as trainable as horses and ultimately nothing is as good as a human at killing other humans, which means that horses are superior (as they keep the human within range of the other human).

Also elephants were pretty slow compared to horsed cavalry.

This all beyond the fact that elephants take a HUGE amount of food to feed... like half of their day is spent eating.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

by the way is an amusing story
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I also remember hearing that they were particularly bad about stampeding when wounded and kept trampling the nearest troops. Unfortunately, the nearest troops were usually those that weren't supposed to be trampled.

Comment

Re: War elephants.

Originally posted by Spec
            Were they that useful? I went to have a looksy on Wiki, but it seems that even though they were intimidating, they never really won a war. Am I right? And how did they kill them or scare them. On wiki they say alexander and the romans had found a way to deal with them...what was it? Flaming pigs?

Spec.
            The Romans

A reportedly effective anti-elephant weapon was the pig. Pliny the Elder reported that "elephants are scared by the smallest squeal of a pig" (VIII, 1.27). A siege of Megara was reportedly broken when the Megarians poured oil on a herd of pigs, set them alight, and drove them towards the enemy's massed war elephants. The elephants bolted in terror from the flaming squealing pigs.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I'd run from a burning pig, too.

"If you're hallucinations, we're supposed to ignore you."
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'd think the transportation aspect of a War Elephant would be the most compeling reason to use them. Especially in a jungle where they would be able to plow through the brush, instead of having to clear as you go.
                Monkey!!!

Comment

The wiki thing mentions Caesar equipping some troops with axes to injure the elephant's legs and that troops were trained to let them pass so that they couldn't do much damage. One method used IIRC by Roman at Zama was also to make lots of noises with their war trumpets to confuse the elephants and possibly to drive them back against their own forces.

Back in school my history teacher told me that those elephants were often "stimulated" with drug-like stuff to be more agressive in battle, but that also became sometimes a problem when they went out of control and attacked their own troops. He also said as a last resort in such a case the rider then would drive a wedge through the elephant's head to kill him when he was uncontrollable (never checked that, but sounded ok back then).
                  Blah

Comment

Elephants were never that useful except as a psychological warfare tactics (but they were often good at that).

Alexander the great had two-man teams with one big strong guy with a sledgehammer and one with a huge shield. The guy with the sledgehammer would wack the elephant's toes...
                    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Where's PETA when you need them?
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                        The wiki thing mentions Caesar equipping some troops with axes to injure the elephant's legs and that troops were trained to let them pass so that they couldn't do much damage. One method used IIRC by Roman at Zama was also to make lots of noises with their war trumpets to confuse the elephants and possibly to drive them back against their own forces.

Back in school my history teacher told me that those elephants were often "stimulated" with drug-like stuff to be more agressive in battle, but that also became sometimes a problem when they went out of control and attacked their own troops. He also said as a last resort in such a case the rider then would drive a wedge through the elephant's head to kill him when he was uncontrollable (never checked that, but sounded ok back then).
                        Hm,
                        AFAIk at Zama the roman tactic was the thing you mentioned in your first sentence,
                        i.e. the romans had their cohorts spaced out so that the troops could step aside when the Elephants started their charge
                        and then just attack them from the sides where the Elephants could do no harm.
                        (AFAIK the main use of Elephants was in charge; as most armies consisted of large ranks of cohorts which normally weren´t very maneuverable Elephants charging the enemy lines could wkread havoc on the enemy troops [which, as you mentioned, also had an psychological impact, but it was very difficulty to alter the direction of the elephants when their charge had begun)
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Maybe they used both

Seriously, I remember reading about the trumpets it in a book some years ago - the German wiki article mentions both methods, the English only that they passed....
                          Blah

Comment

Should I declare my interest?

Comment

I would think that goes without saying.

Comment

Working...
                              X