Will creationists buy/play this game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will creationists buy/play this game?

Is Sid cutting out a part of the market? Any thoughts? Anybody angry over this game? Even if you hold creationist beliefs, would you play it? Just wondering..
    "Beans, beans the magical fruit,
    the more you eat, the more you toot" - anonymous

Hey Tree,

I'm a creationist and I'll sure buy it. It looks fun and great. SMAC and Civilization mixied with Jurassic Park. Yeah !

Dinos, Grrr

Comment

Hey, let's just say Noah forgot them when he packed the Ark, ok !

Comment

Well What has Sid over the years?

Changed direction a few times, this just one moore. Like it or not it's a fact.

I love many of Sid'd games, but there are also games by Sid I have never played. (Ex. Gettysburg)

So cutting out a market? (Well if I understand it the same as you meant it) Yes, Sid is not trying to do a game for all. It doesn't make him a less good game designer. No, it just proves that Sid has a wider area of interest than you.

In my opinion Sid is to what he is doing. Games that he think is interesting and fun. I buy those games I like. Will I buy Dinosaurs? Don't know - yet.

Jeje2

Comment

Hey, Hugo, you hit it on the head.

I was born dinosaur lover. Even did a science project in school on them. Then turned to creationist but realized that dinosaurs ARE mentioned in the Bible. Therefore, Noah DID leave them off of the ark and the flood did them in.

------------------
          Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
          Frodo lives!

Comment

*Where* Are Dinosaurs mentioned in the bible. Is it like T-Rex 3 6:8 "And the Lord said unto Moses "Thou shalt diggest the the Utah desert and thou shalt findeth Bones. These thou shalt calleth Dinosaur bones that used to be attached to Dinosaurs."

Well, It was just a though

Comment

But even is Creationists and Darwinists may agree that dinos existed, won't the groups disagree on how they were wiped out?

If the game kills them off by comet, the creationists will complain. If the game kills them off by god inspired flood, the darwinists will complain.

Comment

Thats not the point NLT :
                If ANYTHING destroy my mighty dino empire, I will be pissed and complains

But, seriously, darwinist and creationist aren't the only views, and I am far from religious, but I actually do think that creationist is more plausible than darwinist... only the strong survive and evolve... yeah sure, all those useless animals out there were strong to survive? Not sure about that. Actually, I'm more with a scientist(forgot his name =() that was discredited because of trickery when he proved that ANY species can evolve(he showed that frogs he took evolved to live COMPLETLY under water), not only the strong. Years laters, we found out that he actually might be right, as the Darwinist sabotaged his experience and they tricked it, but it was too late, the scientist was dead for a long time and he had all the proof with him. But the point is, who knows which is right? This example shows that the TRUTH is just beliefs and that it can be manipulated easely by extremist on each side. These people DONT want to listen to something different than they think and actually hinder more than they help. Be open minded, even if you are creationist, buy this game, it will be lot of fun!

And, I don't think creationists will not buy this game. They actually bought SMAC, right? This is an encouter with another form of life in space. I don't think that the computer world would be that developed if creationist wouldn't buy games like that. Look at everything on the shelves, and try to find semthing with no aliens, differents evolution, non-religious stuff, etc. Only extremist that aren't open minded don't buy those games.

-Karhgath
                -Karhgath

Comment

What is a creationist?

Comment

Someone that believe that humans and earth were created by God, and believe in the Garden of Eden, Noah, etc.

-Karhgath
                    -Karhgath

Comment

I know, I thought about that not long after, but I was too lazy to edit my post

-Karhgath
                      -Karhgath

Comment

[...] fresh knowledge has led to the recognition that evolution is more than a hypothesis. It is indeed remarkable that this theory has been progressively
                        accepted by researchers, following a series of discoveries in various fields of knowledge. The convergence, neither sought nor fabricated, of the results of work that was conducted independently is in itself a significant
                        argument in favour of this theory.
                        -the pope (from here)

Even the pope believes in evolution. When are the rest of you going to give up?
                        http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

As a Creationist (though not a strict Creationist), if the game is any good, I will probably buy it. Dinosaurs are fun.

Anyway, I do have the ability to entertain the concept of evolution even if I don't believe in it. At the very least I can say that "In this fantasy world, let us ASSUME that evolution really works" and just play on from there. I can read Tolkein's work without believing in elves or magic, I can enjoy Star Trek without believing that there are Klingons and time travel and I can appreciate the Iliad without believing in Greco-Roman religion. I can deal with Dinosaurs even with evolution. In addition, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the game included aspects from many different theories (including creationism, evolution and some less accepted theories) for both fairness and entertainment value.

Anyway, considering the highly insulting way that Firaxis treated religion in general and Christians in particular in SMAC, anyone who was going to be offended has already left the building. And I don't blame them.

Comment

P.S. There was an evolution mod pack for Civ2 that I played. Despite the fact that I am skeptical about evolution, I enjoyed it immensely. There is nothing like having an attack Amoeba or engineer Beavers and the included map was top notch. The mod pack did have some serious problems: there were defensive naval units which the computer totally misused (ironically, Clams were undone by the dreaded *Pearl* Harbor bonus), the T-Rexs were better defensive units than the designated "best" defensive unit, the Axlyasaurus, and the air units were near useless for anything but scouting. But overall, it was a fun game.

P.P.S. Take the evolution debate over to off-topic.

Comment

I think a better question is whether existing fans of Civ/SMAC will buy the game?

Creationists often indulge in fantasy (ala Jurassic Park), but die-hard TBSers will probably pass on a RTS dinogame.

Dino on? ... Ted S.

Comment

Working...
                              X