Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MarkG is praying: turn based, turn based, turn....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MarkG is praying: turn based, turn based, turn....

http://www.firaxis.com/dinosaurs/dia...19991217_7.cfm
    We'll discuss the issues in making a game turn-based or real-time, in about two weeks
    arg, firaxis, give us all the info now!

Mark G, you're dreaming. They have already made a choice. Real-time. Read between the lines. See what they want to do with this game. I believe it's clear. They only want to bring civ's fans to accept this choice, by the slow process of asking, listening, discussing. Good strategy to minimize the losses of "player's turn-based only" (like me). I hope civ3 will be more "a big evolution in the good old concepts" than this dino's game (Wiiiiiiilma ! Open that door...!)

Comment

nah, real time! real time!

no wonder I didn't play CTP for that long
      ~I like eggs.~

Comment

I must agree with Mark, all Sid games need to be Turn Based, that's what make them different and better.
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

I'd actually like to see something along the lines of Breach 3 - real time, but you can pause it instantly to give complex orders, or if you need time to think.

------------------
          Anarchist Supreme of the Glorious PROT!

"Those who would trade a little freedom for a little safety shall have neither freedom nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"All war is the art of deception." - Sun Tzu

Anarchist Supreme of the Newly Glorious PROT!

"One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them
          One Ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them."

Comment

Let's all join hands and sing the chorus:

Turn based, turn based, turn based, turn based, turn based, turn based, turn based, turn based, turn based, turn based, turn based...
            Moderator at:
            CivWorld's Off-Topic Forum
            GamesLAN Forums
            GamerzHaven Forums
            CivWeb Forums

Comment

Isn't this dinosaur game supposed to be part of the sweep of time series? If so then it is already turn based because they were talking about plans to port over save games from each game in the series to the next, or am I wrong?

Oh and for all you people asking for an RTS... GO AWAY!!!!
              Monkey I am proud to be!
              Trim the sails and roam the sea!
              Trim the sails and roam the sea!
              ...Stefu

Comment

monkey exactly!
                I mean, you're going to play an rts game and then continue on two tbs????

perhaps the connection between games idea is gone...

Comment

Victor, I too would prefer a turn based game. However, you cant say that Sid only makes good TBS, look at Gettysburg and Antietiam, they both were real time and good.

Titan.

There exists no separation between gods and men; one blends softly casual to the other.
                  - Proverbs of Muad'Dib

Comment

Personal I can't see how this Game would be any good if it's turn based, unless it's like
                    Jagged Alliance, but it doesn't sound that way.

I just can't see the fun in ruling I dinosaur pack, or leading them through their evolution. It just doesn't seem like fun. If it is please enlighten me.

Comment

Personally, I'm having trouble with the base concept, much less TBS or RTS. But I suspect that RTS would totally ruin it, whereas it's TBS game has possibilities.

But in any case, yeah, the decision's already been made, if it's been in development for over a year...

"In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

If this is supposed to be connected (through the "sweep of time") to civ and SMAC, than it follows that it should be turn based.

------------------
                        - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
                        Mars Colonizer Mission
                        - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
                        Mars Colonizer Mission

Comment

What are you people so affraid of? If you are such huge fans of Sid as you claimed. Then maybe you should have some faith in the man. A real-time game can be just as fun and rewarding, if it's done right.
                          [This message has been edited by RenderDrone (edited December 18, 1999).]

Comment

The two words "Steamy Jungles" is enough to make me want to play the game. I can see how this game would be really addictive to play.
                            It makes me wonder why the idea was never made before.

I suggest not critizing the game till you know enough about it. It sounds like I am protecting it, well I guess I am. But I don't want to have to see people making negative comments on how the game will be crappy, etc. Otherwise you could have people feeling a little down about it. Not me of course, I'm too strong

But, untill you have something that you CAN say negative about it, then go for it. If everyone always looked at the good things in life, then none of the bad things would be fixed, considering no one could see them, right?

Comment

whoopsy
                              [This message has been edited by Tree (edited December 18, 1999).]
                              "Beans, beans the magical fruit,
                              the more you eat, the more you toot" - anonymous

Comment

Working...
                              X