Empath Guild on Waterworlds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Empath Guild on Waterworlds

Just wondering if anyone makes it a priority to get the Empath Guild on huge / 70-90% ocean / high erosion maps?

I recently started just such a game and thought that getting the EG would give me a big leg-up as a tech broker. I had egg on my face when I discovered 6 of the 7 factions (including myself) were all huddled up together in the same small area of the map. So much for tech broker.

Anyway, I rarely play on waterworlds and wondered if anyone else ever use this tactic successfully. Or does the game always huddle everyone together?
    "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
    "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
    "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

The real benefit of EG is the free infiltration and double votes. As a builder, tech brokering is a double-edged sword, anyway. Sure, you get more techs, but in most cases, they'll divert from critical beelines, and place highly useful techs in the hands of your rivals. I find it much more profitable and amusing to use the free infiltration from EG to determine who I'm going to probe for the techs I want. Granted, it takes some investment into foil probes and a bit of patience, but in the long run, you'll cement a much more commanding tech advantage over all your rivals.

Comment

True, but I love playing the Drones. So tech trading is a must until I build up enough infrastructure.
      "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
      "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
      "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
      "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

Working...
      X