X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Theory of Black Holes

Actually my theory, I think

Are black holes really black?

No, we cant see them physically because they're so heavy for their size they sink below the visible horizon. Put a bowling ball on a mattress and it sinks down but you can still see the upper part of the ball. But if the ball is heavy enough it will sink down below the horizontal (visible horizon) of the mattress.

But as you approach the ball you can begin to see it because you're now on the curvature of space created by the ball or black hole. Think of a ship caught in a whirlpool, as the ship approaches the center passengers can look down and see the "black hole". Sound reasonable?

Are black holes really black?

No. They emit Hawking radiation.

Anything else?

Comment

By the way, what the **** are you talking about?

Comment

The event horizon discontinuity exists for any observer O in normal space, no matter how little he is above said event horizon.

What is wrong with your analogy is that in it the bowling ball should actually have sunk an infinite amount into the matress. The depth of the hole asymtotically approaches infinity as you apprach the Schwarzschild radius

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

KH, I see you're using cryptical physicists talk again to pwn the laymen

Comment

Now, using the schwarzschild metric we will conduct the following gedankenexperiment:

Sitting a distance R from the center of a schwarzschild black hole (non-rotating, stationary in our frame of reference) we fire a beam of light directly away from the center of the black hole. Our metric says that

ds^2 = -c^2(1 - 2GM/(c^2r))dt^2 + (1 - 2GM/(c^2r))^-1dr^2 + r^2domega^2

since the angular displacement is 0 (this is a radial climb) the final term can be ignored. since we are using light, the path element ds is 0.

So, c^2Adt^2 = A^-1dr^2 (A being the messy term involving G above)

so, c*sqrt(A)dt = sqrt(1/A)dr
            cdt = dr/A

rewriting slightly we get that the coordinate time for a climb from R>= 2GM/c^2 (the schwarzschild radius/event horizon) to Rf is:

(Rf - R)/c + (2GM/c^3) * INT(1/r) where INT is the definite integral of the expression from (R - 2GM/c^2) to (Rf-2GM/c^2), which equals:

(Rf - R)/c + (2GM/c^3) * ln((Rf-2GM/c^2)/(R - 2GM/c^2))

the closer our original position R gets to 2GM/c^2 the larger the number we're taking the logarithm of gets, so the larger the logarithm gets. Therefore, any beam of light travelling upward from the event horizon R = 2GM/c^2 takes an infinite amount of coordinate time to travel any finite distance, so we can see that the light never gets to any observer, no matter how close they are to the event horizon. (There's one more thing to prove here, namely that the proper time tau for an observer sitting still at any point outside the event horizon does not equal zero for finite coordinate time, but that's enough basic GR for now)
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
              KH, I see you're using cryptical physicists talk again to pwn the laymen
              If you found that cryptic then you're incredibly dense. It's not my fault you're too stupid to understand the concepts. Blame God.
              Last edited by KrazyHorse; August 25, 2006, 03:00.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

No, we cant see them physically because they're so heavy for their size they sink below the visible horizon. Put a bowling ball on a mattress and it sinks down but you can still see the upper part of the ball. But if the ball is heavy enough it will sink down below the horizontal (visible horizon) of the mattress.

But as you approach the ball you can begin to see it because you're now on the curvature of space created by the ball or black hole. Think of a ship caught in a whirlpool, as the ship approaches the center passengers can look down and see the "black hole". Sound reasonable?
                If we apply your analogy to current ideas of how a black hole works, your bowling ball will simply drop through the mattress, creating a hole in the duvet of space time.

Which is pretty much exactly what KH is saying, without trying to flaunt my intelligence to an audience that doesn't give a ****.
                "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

You flaunting your intelligence is like a hooker showing off her chastity.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You flaunting your intelligence is like a hooker showing off her chastity.
                    Teh humour!!!!11!1!!two
                    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      If you found that cryptic then you're incredibly dense. It's not my fault you're too stupid to understand the concepts. Blame God.
                      You know exactly I was talking about your mentioning of that Schwarzschild thing which a layman obviously knows nothing about. But just keep on alling people stupid, it supports my point

Comment

Come on, everybody who´s ever read anything about black holes knows what a Schwarzschild radius is...
                        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy

If we apply your analogy to current ideas of how a black hole works, your bowling ball will simply drop through the mattress, creating a hole in the duvet of space time.
                          And land on the moldy bacon butty in n dimension.

Comment

In mid season form there, eh KH?
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                              In mid season form there, eh KH?
                              I try.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X