No announcement yet.

New Theory of Black Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But will I look through it without taking a class in it?

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Ah... memories.

Comment

But will I look through it without taking a class in it?
        If you can do matrix algebra, you don't need to take a class in GR, IMO.

Comment

First course:

Second course: (was a little light, to be honest)

Third course:
          A. James Clark School of Engineering at the University of Maryland: degree programs, research, faculty, students, alumni, and industry.

I sat in on 851 (Fall 2004) for a while.

There was also significant Field Theory (we met for an extra 1-2 hours a week) in:

Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

How cute. Look at the physicists comparing the size of the slide rules.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

You were particle physics experiment?

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

How cute. Look at the physicists comparing the size of the slide rules.
                I gave up worrying about my size when I realized I wasn't smart enough to get paid to be a theorist.

As much as I love it, there are two kinds of theorists, the very best, and those who need to find other work.

Comment

You were particle physics experiment?
                  Experimental nuclear. Quark-gluon plasmas, specifically J/Psi suppression.

Comment

Ah, particle physics theory?

I thought you were particle physics related.

I first was looking into being a theorist.. then decided that I didn't have what it took to be a professor in theory. I might not in nuclear experiment either.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Ah, I am at Jefferson Lab. My experiment is GEN (Electric form factor of the neutron).

You have any pointers? (career wise?)

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Experimental nuclear. Like you, I didn't have what it took to be a paid theorist. We can commiserate.

Actually, I can one-up you again. After postdoc, I couldn't even work in experimental nuclear. I'm parked in structural bio.

Comment

I looked for about 1.5 years at being a condensed matter theorist (Before I decided that theory wasn't for me). So I am pretty poor right now in the experiment.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I might have had enough to do condensed matter theory if I spent the hours I spent when my experiment was running, man I hardly even slept.

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

You have any pointers? (career wise?)
                              For what it's worth, learn how to write grants. I absolutely hated it, and it killed me. I was always far too arrogant to effectively beg for money.

Comment

I looked for about 1.5 years at being a condensed matter theorist (Before I decided that theory wasn't for me). So I am pretty poor right now in the experiment.
                                I guess you could say that I'm a condensed matter experimentalist these days (x-ray protein crystallography). It's not a bad life, and the funding is wonderful. People literally throw money at you.

Comment

Working...
                                X