Epic Speed
    Ridgelines
    Dense Mountains
    Seas
    Toroidal Wrap!!!!!
    Cities can flip after conquest
    Raging Barbarians
    Aggressive AI!!!!!!!

Hold on to your hats people, it's gonna get ugly out there!!!!
    Let your every day be full of joy, love the child that holds your hand, let your wife delight in your embrace, for these alone are the concerns of humanity.
    The BtS Pitboss Team Democracy Game has just started!!!
    Come and test your metal in the Apolyton Civ4 Beyond the Sword Tri-League Tournament
    Tohunga o kairākau of Southern Cross in the Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game, and Member of the Great Council and Curator of The Khan's Compendium for The Horde in the Civ4 Team Democracy Game

To FeMme

Good luck folks!!!
    Let your every day be full of joy, love the child that holds your hand, let your wife delight in your embrace, for these alone are the concerns of humanity.
    Come and test your metal in the Apolyton Civ4 Beyond the Sword Tri-League Tournament
    Tohunga o kairākau of Southern Cross in the Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game, and Member of the Great Council and Curator of The Khan's Compendium for The Horde in the Civ4 Team Democracy Game

Comment

To Nugog
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Member of Team Southern Cross in Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game
      Member of the Great Council of the Horde in Civ4 Team Democracy Game

Comment

On to GeoModder
        I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Onwards to Cerberus.

What's the toroidal wrap thing for maps? Haven't come to testing it yet.
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

You can go off the left of the map and come on the right (and vice versa) as per normal.........

....... but you can also go off the top and come on the bottom too (and vice versa)

Result = nowhere to hide

Comment

Ouch... then I have to put out extra sentries for barbs and other malcontents if I happen to live near the top -or bottom of the map.
              He who knows others is wise.
              He who knows himself is enlightened.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Just the same as if you were in the middle. This way there are no safe corner spots to hide in!!

Aggressive AI and raging barbs!!! - I did say it was going to get messy

Comment

On to CM.

At this point I will admit to a bit of experience of Highlands maps as I am playing one in a vanilla PBEM. So the near total absence of resources within the radius of my capital is no surprise (and of course there are no seafood resources at all). Now to see if Mehmed's extra health and commerce pays off (assuming the barbs or someone don't get me first).
                  Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

We have seas so we should get some seafood resources???? Never played Highlands before so I'm not sure on this point???

Comment

Originally posted by RobWorham
                      We have seas so we should get some seafood resources???? Never played Highlands before so I'm not sure on this point???
                      Freshwater lakes AFAIK. They give 2 food and 2 commerce without lighthouses. No fish, crabs, shellfish or whales. No lighthouses, harbours or drydocks. No Colossus or Great Lighthouse. It is still necessary to research fishing and sailing at some point as they are prerequisites for techs you do need (calendar IIRC).

So 3 fewer health resources (there don't seem to be more of other resources to compensate so the map will look a bit bare) and no harbours to double the effect of the seafood ones. No extra trade route from harbours either. Trade networks are slower to develop unless another civ also has a city connected to a lake or river that you are connected to.

As this game is on Noble it's not a massive problem, just that health and commerce are a bit harder to come by.
                      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the lowdown CerberusIV. Looks like you are the only one with any experience of this type of map.......

......So, advantage CerberusIV

Comment

Ock Aye da'noo

over to Rob
                          A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

To FeMme

Comment

The Highland Jig passes to Nugog.
                              Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Member of Team Southern Cross in Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game
                              Member of the Great Council of the Horde in Civ4 Team Democracy Game

Comment

Working...
                              X