Dwarf Fortress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwarf Fortress

A very unique roguelike/dwarf city building sim download it here - http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html It's free and in alpha(?), but I've been playing it for hours already and it is quite good. Don't let the ASCII graphics stop you from playing it. You barely notice them after a while, and they are well done.

http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Main_Page - new wiki, not much hard info in it yet, but it has links to two fair sized forum threads.
    Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Looks interesting to me. ascii type games will live long in my heart thanks to roguelike games

random map generation ftw
    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Surprised no one else has commented. This game is so much better than it looks. Played probably ~10hrs in the past two days. The gameplay has a few quirks that can be annoying but mostly it's just challenging figuring everything out right now.

Comment

I downloaded it, but playing it on a laptop is a no-no, because you use the number pad to move and that's a real pain when you don't have one.

Comment

Arrow keys work as well. AFAIK you don't actually need a number pad for anything. I haven't really used it at all.

Comment

So- is it really like a real game in how it plays?

It sounds intriguing, but At a 100MB download, I'm a little concerned that it will be tiresome... what game does it play most like?

It seems more like a simulator than a game?
            Last edited by DarkCloud; August 5, 2008, 19:24.
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

It's not 100mb, more like 3. I don't know what to compare it to, you build and run a fortress of dwarfs and fight off sieges and such. Try not to be put off by the horrendous interface.
              "

Comment

Really? The main site implies it's 100MB?
                -->Visit CGN!
                -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

When you create a world (procedurally) it takes up quite a bit.
                  "

Comment

So you're saying you could forgoe using the random generator that comes with the game?
                    -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                      So- is it really like a real game in how it plays?

It sounds intriguing, but At a 100MB download, I'm a little concerned that it will be tiresome... what game does it play most like?

It seems more like a simulator than a game?
                      Read boatmurdered, it will attempt to explain what dwarf fortress is all about. Still it is about a much older version, which you can download if you want, the latest version has a great deal more complexity.

The latest build for me is 33 megs. but I have 5 versions on my computer.

Comment

Actually, I have been reading that very same story. It's open on my browser right now .

Still... it's a little odd. Very strange game.

Longtime no see Whoha. Hiya.

-DC.

This was also interesting:
                        Last edited by DarkCloud; August 5, 2008, 22:00.
                        -->Visit CGN!

Comment

So you're saying you could forgoe using the random generator that comes with the game?
                          Well, there are pregenerated worlds you can download. Those are big files, I'm not sure why you would do that though.
                          "

Comment

Actually, I have been reading that very same story. It's open on my browser right now .

Still... it's a little odd. Very strange game.

Longtime no see Whoha. Hiya.

-DC.

This was also interesting:
                            http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur..._of_dwarf_.php
                            Hey. The latest versions of dwarf fortress really ramp up the complexity, and the instant death, so it may be worthwhile to get an older version, certainly one before the Goblin Chaingunner ambushers.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Which version would you recommend? I'm not very good at complex games or supply-demand management.
                              -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Working...
                              X