does anyone do civ 3 pbem anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone do civ 3 pbem anymore?

is anyone playing on starting a new game in the near future?

Not really, myself...

Partly it's because there's Civ4 now. Another part, though, is that Civ3 PBEM isn't quite satisfactory for me; Civ3 itself has some bad exploits related to settlers and rails (extreme combat settling, you may have heard of it). Even with extreme settling outlawed, I've come to appreciate what others have said about infinite rail movement being a bad mechanic; it makes later wars so all-or-nothing. I'm finishing any vs. games I'm in right now, but I'm not looking to start more with such issues remaining in Civ3's late game. :/

Also, PBEM's diplomacy system is somewhat buggy, so games can sometimes be tough to finish (or impossible without someone fixing the messed-up diplomacy data in the save file; in the worst cases the game will start crashing).

So, I'm not really looking to get into any more vs. games right now when the payoff is so uncertain. If you want to start a game, though, I'd be up for something more cooperative. I played a PBEM a little while ago in which myself and two other players teamed up against some AI on Deity level; it was quite fun, and in our case we didn't hit any diplo corruption.

Comment

Well, the problem so to speak is we get a game going, and people who thoiught or intended to be committed either come up MIA or just vacation here, personal committment there and then s-n-a-i-l p-a-c-e and then likes flies they drop off and then ya got the graveyard known as page 2 of the forum

This is indeed unfortunate but however a reality of the gameplay

Thats why it seems everytime i break my "Golden rule" of more than 3 players it inevitably allways happens...

Games die..D.R.T.
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Kloreep
        Not really, myself...

Partly it's because there's Civ4 now. Another part, though, is that Civ3 PBEM isn't quite satisfactory for me; Civ3 itself has some bad exploits related to settlers and rails (extreme combat settling, you may have heard of it). Even with extreme settling outlawed, I've come to appreciate what others have said about infinite rail movement being a bad mechanic; it makes later wars so all-or-nothing. I'm finishing any vs. games I'm in right now, but I'm not looking to start more with such issues remaining in Civ3's late game. :/

Also, PBEM's diplomacy system is somewhat buggy, so games can sometimes be tough to finish (or impossible without someone fixing the messed-up diplomacy data in the save file; in the worst cases the game will start crashing).

So, I'm not really looking to get into any more vs. games right now when the payoff is so uncertain. If you want to start a game, though, I'd be up for something more cooperative. I played a PBEM a little while ago in which myself and two other players teamed up against some AI on Deity level; it was quite fun, and in our case we didn't hit any diplo corruption.
        add one more thing I hate about CIVIII is the battles, ya dont know exactly what hit you..or if you did any damage at all
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
        X