Why aren't there more pro-war bands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why aren't there more pro-war bands?

Why is every musician and artist anti-war? Here I am reading the description of Slayer's new album, and it's described as anti-war. Why not be pro-war? It seems appropiate for a thrash metal band like Slayer.

I guess no one does it because it would seem to support the establishment. And being anti-establishment is cool.

In any case, has anyone heard Slayer's new album? Any good?

The more war there is the more likely that band members would be called to fight and have to give up all those free drugs and underage girls.
    He's got the Midas touch.
    But he touched it too much!
    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

just listened to Jihad. Slayer still has it.

Comment

because they don;t like to see their fans get shot?
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

War is not good for most members of society. Not everyone is willing to glaze horrible realities with a faux chivalric paintjob.
          "Truth against the world" - Eire

Comment

Great point, AH.
            "Truth against the world" - Eire

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
              just listened to Jihad. Slayer still has it.

Yup. And welcome back, Dr.Lombardo
              Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

You have to have some modicum of intelligence to produce works of art (though methinks Slayer tests that theory, but nevertheless...), and intelligence -> pacifism.
                "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

that's an ok troll, but it needs a little more subtlety.
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

whaleboy:

intelligence --> pacifism? I suppose intelligence --> social liberalism, too, eh?
                    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

i stand corrected...
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

intelligence --> pacifism? I suppose intelligence --> social liberalism, too, eh?
                        If you assume that intelligence -> tolerance, then yes .
                        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

The only intelligent ploy is anti-war??? This rather precludes debate, since one has to admit to being stupid to disagree. Not a tolerant stance, in the least. Geez!

To the topic, which rock bands are selling a lot of albums to the conservative crowd, to the old (safe from that draft always hidden in the background), or to the deeply religious. Those are the pro-war crowds, to the degree that folks will still admit to being pro-war. First rule of commercial art: Know your audience.

You want pro-war bands? Go to Christian rockers (none of whom I have ever heard of) or to country singers. In the country crowd, folks crawled all over the Dixie Chicks for protesting Bush. So things are the other way in that crowd, Dis.
                          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Well, what kind of band is popular among the right wing (I assume we're talking about the US here)? Some Country and Gospel junk, I would guess, combined with oldies and vomit-inducing pop. The Dixie Chicks got in hot water for turning anti-war, which implies to me that such a stance is uncommon on the Country scene. There are anti-war classic rock/oldies musicians, eg John Fogerty, but few people listen to their recent stuff, or anything they've done recently for that matter. GWB himself likes a lot of classic Creedence, which is all against the Vietnam War rather than the present one or, AFAIK, wars in general.

I'm stereotyping, of course, but I think it's safe to say that a big swath of Bush's remaining supporters do not listen to "Slayer," or any kind of thrash-metal, or whatever.

EDIT: Blaupanzer beat me to most of my points. Nertz.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

War! (HOO AHH!)
                              What is it good for?
                              Halliburton profits! (KA CHING!)

Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be terrorists...
                              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Working...
                              X